• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More than 60,000 members of NRA expected in Louisville with the option of being armed. WHAS11.com

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/stories/whas11_topstory_080507_nra.da6e8fc4.html

When Sen. John McCain appears at the National Rifle Association’s convention in Louisville not only will his security detail be armed, so will the audience!

More than 60,000 National Rifle Association are expected in Louisville May 16-20, and thanks to Kentucky’s concealed carry law, they can bring their guns with them.

“John McCain’s people (are) working with our people and security will rule the day,” Ashley Varner told WHAS11’s Joe Arnold, “But, he’s well aware that many of the members will probably bring firearms with them and he’s still excited to come and talk with them.”

The presumptive Republican Presidential nominee is scheduled to appear at the convention on Friday, May 16.

Varner says it’s “a treat” that the Kentucky Exposition Center - unlike previous NRA convention sites—allows concealed weapons.

The President of the Kentucky State Fair Board, Harold Workman, tells WHAS11 News that the concealed carry law has never posed a problem and the exposition center has never tried to get an exemption.

“The concealed carry law or the statute pertaining to that is what it is and we inherited that like any other private or public agency would that isn’t exempt,” Workman said.

Kentucky law does allow some public buildings to ban concealed weapons, like courthouses, jails, schools and city hall. Private businesses can set their own rules.
The NRA website is alerting members that Kentucky recognizes concealed carry permits from all states.

“Kentucky recognizes valid concealed carry permits from all states. Permits must be carried on your person and shown to law enforcement upon request.”

Concealed Carry permits are administered locally by the Jefferson County (KY) Sheriff’s Department.

“If they have a valid concealed carry deadly weapons permit with proper ID, then we recognize that,” said Col. Mike Hettich, the department’s Chief Deputy.

And Hettich says the NRA members with permits have training, so he is not concerned about the sudden influx of more guns in Louisville.

“The ones with permits do not scare me. It’s the ones who don’t have a permit who are carrying that scare me,” Hettich said.

As for the McCain appearance, the U.S. Secret Service has not yet commented on whether it will allow anyone other than law enforcement to be armed near McCain. The NRA suggests it’s no big deal.

“As long as people are concealing it, no one’s ever going to know,” Varner said, “So, it really won’t even make a difference.”

WHAS11 News is still waiting for a call back from the Transportation Safety Administration to see if they are making any special plans to handle what might be an increase of firearms in luggage at Louisville International Airport during the NRA convention.

Thundar

imported post

the U.S. Secret Service has not yet commented on whether it will allow anyone other than law enforcement to be armed near McCain. The NRA suggests it’s no big deal.
Yeah right. The Feds will not hesitate to violate the firearms rights of citizens, even at a firearms rights convention. Ironic and illustrative.

(I know, I know, I use the term firearms rights convention loosely when speaking of the NRA)

Very interesting that the possibility of the open carry of firearms is not even mentioned in the article.

Flintlock

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
“The ones with permits do not scare me. It’s the ones who don’t have a permit who are carrying that scare me,” Hettich said.
Snip

That's an absurd comment. These are the same types of people that suggesta government issued "tax" card is supposed to take all the bad intent away from anyone whomay bewilling to commit wrongdoing and magically show how "trained" that person is... I am at a loss for words..

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thundar wrote:
Yeah right. The Feds will not hesitate to violate the firearms rights of citizens, even at a firearms rights convention. Ironic and illustrative.

(I know, I know, I use the term firearms rights convention loosely when speaking of the NRA)

Very interesting that the possibility of the open carry of firearms is not even mentioned in the article.
yeah but can you OC in Kentucky?

Flintlock

imported post

Pointman wrote:
Firstly, I hope an anti-gun type doesn't bring a gun and F it up. Secondly, I hope everyone OCs. They have no reason to hide the fact they're armed.
That is something I have always been concerned about.

imperialism2024

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
Pointman wrote:
Firstly, I hope an anti-gun type doesn't bring a gun and F it up. Secondly, I hope everyone OCs. They have no reason to hide the fact they're armed.
That is something I have always been concerned about.
Fortunately, most of them are too scared of guns to touch them. Really.

I think the anti-gun gun owners are the biggest risk. Do something to shift the focus to them evil "assault weapons" and handguns so that they can keep their hunting rifles.

Flintlock

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
I think the anti-gun gun owners are the biggest risk. Do something to shift the focus to them evil "assault weapons" and handguns so that they can keep their hunting rifles.

Yeah, but what about the "armor piercing" ammunition that those hunting rifles fire?

I wonder how they cannot at least consider the realitythat a ban or restriction on any gun or ammunition is a ban or restriction on them all... :banghead:

Weak 9mm

imported post

Oh no!!! If everyone is allowed to bring guns then the assassins can too!

Oh wait... they would have anyway....

How dangerous do you guys think it will be with all of those assault weapons? :)

As someone else stated, the biggest risk is an insane anti bringing a gun and killing someone just to somehow prove a point. That is a bit far fetched for a true anti, but I don't consider it outside of the realm of possibilities for one who is a little bit sideways mentally.

"You know, the only reason they were able to bring that gun in is that it was LEGAL! If it hadn't been legal, then the force field would have still been up."