• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Press-checks

Marco

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
GLOCK ADVANTAGE, pg9
LOADED CHAMBER INDICATOR
The user has always been able to read important parameters off his GLOCK pistol at a glance.
Depends on which generation Glock he carries. This has not always been a feature of Glock pistols.
Yes, it has.
I confirmed it this morning on my 20+yr old G17

BobCav wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:
I don't think you guys understand what a propper press-check is. I don't mean to press the f-ing trigger...
Who are you referrring to? I've said nothing about pressing any trigger and I do know, Ijust don't use it, like it or need to.
1+
Again, there are better/safer ways to determine that a firearm is loaded.

Tomahawk

imported post

That's a "press-check"? It looks REALLY stupid. You're not pointing in a safe direction, and you've got a finger inside the trigger guard. Why not just hold the pistol in your right hand pointed AWAY from you, and pull back on the slide with your left, like you're cocking it, but not as far back? Then you peek into the ejection port, and if you see brass, you're loaded, you release and make sure the weapon is back in battery, flip on the safety and re-holster. None of this finger near the trigger stuff and wrong-way pointing for me, thank you.

FightingGlock19

imported post

every morning, before I holster, I do a press check. It's one of the things I've learned to do from the several training classes I've been to.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
That's a "press-check"? It looks REALLY stupid. You're not pointing in a safe direction, and you've got a finger inside the trigger guard. Why not just hold the pistol in your right hand pointed AWAY from you, and pull back on the slide with your left, like you're cocking it, but not as far back? Then you peek into the ejection port, and if you see brass, you're loaded, you release and make sure the weapon is back in battery, flip on the safety and re-holster. None of this finger near the trigger stuff and wrong-way pointing for me, thank you.
That is pretty much what I do as I described earlier in the thread.

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

That second method isn't too bad, but the first... :what: :what:!!
We all know that accidents Can and Do happen, right? I wonder if that idividual knows what would happen if there was a negligent discharge while his palm was positioned above the muzzle like that. I'm pretty sure the high temperature, high velocity gas would give him a bit of an 'ouchie'.

Whe, I've 'press-checked' a weapon, my fingers are No Where Near the muzzle. I come up from beneath the frame and draw the slide back with my fingers, just enough to see if there is brass. If I see brass, I know it's loaded. If I don't then I'll assume it isn't and rack the slide fully. If one round drops out, it won't be the end of the world.

bayboy42

imported post

DocNTexas wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:
LCI - Loaded Chamber Indicator.
snip.
Well, I'm a Glock guy so I don't have that.
snip.
QFT.

GLOCK ADVANTAGE, pg 9
LOADED CHAMBER INDICATOR
The user has always been able to read important parameters off his GLOCK pistol at a glance.
Trigger forward = safety activated.
Trigger pulled = safety deactivated.
The pistol also shows the user whether a cartridge is in the barrel or not. The extractor also serve as a loaded chamber indicator on all GLOCK pistols – and this entirely without additional components. Visual and palpable extractor edge.
Figure top = unloaded.
Figure bottom = loaded

[align=right]
tips_chamber.gif

[/align]
Depends on which generation Glock he carries. This has not always been a feature of Glock pistols. I believe the feature was added in the 2002 time frame/mid production of 3rd Generation Glocks.

Actually, the only change Glock made at that time was to add a paint mark to the top of the extractor to make it more visible. My first Gen Glocks have extractors with the same dimensionsand it is readily visible that they are loaded by the position of the extractor. At least on mine this is true.

Doc
Wierd...I have a Gen 3 Glock 19 with no paint mark. Nor have a ever seen one. My uncle owns 3 Gen 2 glocks and they have a different shaped extractor. I did some more research on the topic and it appears that the shift to Glock's official "loaded chamber indicator" took place during different times for different models and was accomplished by re-shaping the extractor to give more of a visual/physical indicator (previous extractors could indeed indicate a loaded chamber if the user knew what they were looking at). A great resource is http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412093

DocNTexas

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
DocNTexas wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:
LCI - Loaded Chamber Indicator.
snip.
Well, I'm a Glock guy so I don't have that.
snip.
QFT.

GLOCK ADVANTAGE, pg 9
LOADED CHAMBER INDICATOR
Trigger forward = safety activated.
Trigger pulled = safety deactivated.
The pistol also shows the user whether a cartridge is in the barrel or not. The extractor also serve as a loaded chamber indicator on all GLOCK pistols – and this entirely without additional components. Visual and palpable extractor edge.
Figure top = unloaded.
Figure bottom = loaded

[align=right]
tips_chamber.gif

[/align]
Depends on which generation Glock he carries. This has not always been a feature of Glock pistols. I believe the feature was added in the 2002 time frame/mid production of 3rd Generation Glocks.

Actually, the only change Glock made at that time was to add a paint mark to the top of the extractor to make it more visible. My first Gen Glocks have extractors with the same dimensionsand it is readily visible that they are loaded by the position of the extractor. At least on mine this is true.

Doc
Wierd...I have a Gen 3 Glock 19 with no paint mark. Nor have a ever seen one. My uncle owns 3 Gen 2 glocks and they have a different shaped extractor. I did some more research on the topic and it appears that the shift to Glock's official "loaded chamber indicator" took place during different times for different models and was accomplished by re-shaping the extractor to give more of a visual/physical indicator (previous extractors could indeed indicate a loaded chamber if the user knew what they were looking at). A great resource is http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412093

Very interesting indeed. My G19 (well, actually my wife's G19 ;)) has a red paint mark on the top side of the extractor. I have 2-gen 1 models,1-gen 2 model and 2-gen 3 models. All five were purchased new, so I know they were not modified (unless the dealer did it, which I doubt). Both my Gen 3's have the red paintmark on the extractor.

Likewise, the extractors on all my glocks clearly extend beyond the slide when a shell is chambered and are flush or slightly recessed when the chamber is empty. I have no trouble telling at a glance when a round is chambered.

I have not paid that much attention to other folks glocks when around them to say one way or another about extractor marks, but I certainly plan to look at a few now. Certainly makes you wonder, doesn't it.

Doc

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Here is a technique that will work with almost any gun..........

Stop by your local home center and pick up a dowel that will fit easily into the barrel/s of your gun/s...
CLEAR your weapon, then, with an empty chamber, drop the dowel down the barrel 'til it rests on the breach face...
then, mark the dowel at the muzzle and cut it off at that mark. (after removing it from the barrel of course)
Now you have a tool that you can drop down the barrel to see if your gun is loaded since it will stick out of the muzzle the exact length of a loaded round if a round is chambered....if it falls flush to the muzzle, you'll know that it is unloaded.

I know I'm about to get flamed for my "technique" but, it makes about as much sense as "fonkey mucking" around with a very likely loaded weapon as the so called press check does....and yes, the "technique" was a joke.
I mean, if someone doesn't KNOW the condition/status of, at least, their primary carry weapon by their familiarity with it, maybe more training/familiarization is in order....just my .02...YMMV

Rey

imported post

Why would you need to disengage the grip safety? I do a press check (which I called a brass check) all the time and I never thought about it much. Sometimes, in low light, i can't tell through the little notch.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

There is no paint mark on my gen-3 Glock19, and the extractor claw does not stick out when the weapon is charged. The trigger is kicked out when it's cocked, but that only indicates that the weapon is cocked, not loaded.

Make sure you're weapon is loaded unless it never leaves your sight... that's all I'm saying, guys.

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
I don't think you guys understand what a propper press-check is. I don't mean to press the f-ing trigger...

I did mention pulling the trigger on my Buck Mark, but not as part of the press-check. Basically if the safety is off and cannot be engaged, and/or the slide is difficult to pull back, the gun is uncocked. The pistol does not have a decocker or an external hammerand it is SAO. Thus, if I were to pull the trigger in this state, it would not fire. In addition, if uncocked, the only way possible to put a round in the chamber without cocking the weapon is to disassemble it, put a bullet in the chamber, then reassemble it decocked. I'm not stupid enough to EVER try that. So, I press-check my Buckmark, but if the slide doesn't move easily the chamber is empty.

All that said, I keep the gun cocked and the safety engaged for just this reason; it's easier to press-check, and having the safety engaged tells me it's cocked and therefore MAY be chambered.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

BUBB4H wrote:
Why would you need to disengage the grip safety? I do a press check (which I called a brass check) all the time and I never thought about it much. Sometimes, in low light, i can't tell through the little notch.
Most 1911's, that I'm aware of, do not require that you depress the grip safety to do a press check. OTOH, my XD does...actually did. It has been replace with 21SF. :celebrate

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
BUBB4H wrote:
Most 1911's, that I'm aware of, do not require that you depress the grip safety to do a press check. OTOH, my XD does...actually did. It has been replace with 21SF. :celebrate

That's correct. XD's need the grip safety depressed to pull back the slide (however you can pull it back far enough to see brass) and a 1911 does not need it depressed.I believe Springfield (whoever makes them in Croatia actually)was making up for the lack of a thumb safety that blocks the slide from moving when they designed the XD. The LCI is nice, but IS known to break or get stuck if not cleaned properly.

ETA: In the third Matrix movie, Seraph (the asian guy) press checks two pistols at the same time, each with only one hand, and occasionally I'll do it that way if I only have one free hand in the morning.

seraph.png

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When I press check my XD I do not depress the backstrap safety The slide will only rack open ~3/8" with the backstrap safety engaged, enough to see the brass. Also, it moves it back far enough to drop the LCI, but not far enough to physically feel inside the chamber. In low light, even if you can't see into the chamber, when you pull back the slide, you can feel the LCI. It should drop flush when you pull the slide back that little bit and raise (if loaded) when in battery. If it is gummed and stays up you can push it down when the slide is racked and let it back into battery. It would only raise back up if the weapon is chambered. If the LCI is too gummed up to be pushed down with your fingertip, I don't want to be shooting that pistol except as a last resort because obviously it has not been cared for and there may be other and actual dangerous fouling existant.

FightingGlock19

imported post

Very interesting indeed. My G19 (well, actually my wife's G19 ;)) has a red paint mark on the top side of the extractor. I have 2-gen 1 models,1-gen 2 model and 2-gen 3 models. All five were purchased new, so I know they were not modified (unless the dealer did it, which I doubt). Both my Gen 3's have the red paintmark on the extractor.

odd, none of my 3rd generation 19's have a red mark on the extractor & all three of them have been bought new :question:

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:

odd, none of my 3rd generation 19's have a red mark on the extractor & all three of them have been bought new :question:

I'll take pictures and post them if I have to... I don't know what state you guys bought these in, but my cousin still has his 1st gen-1 Glock 17 and he has Glock 19's from each generation. I have seen tons of Glocks at ranges, in classes, at gun stores, etc and have NEVER seen this mystery red dot. It's nowhere I've seen on Glock's website either. I check with some tenured firearms trainers and they said it's untrue. I think you may be thinking of a SW99 or an XD or some other weapon.

DocNTexas

imported post

Here it is on my G19 gen 3. (Sorry, not the best quality picture but the best I could do.)

Like I said before, this weapon was ordered new for me and this is the way it arrived.Unless someone between the factory and my dealer did the modification, this is the way it was shipped from Glock. I went to a local gun shop today and looked at several gen 3's and none had the red mark on the extractor either, but the proprietor said he had seen it on some before. Beyond that I do not have the answer. I know I have 2 gen 3 compacts (a G19 and a G32) that have it and both were ordered new for me.

As for the point of the original discussion (which seems to have been lost at this point) I agree that one should always know the condition of their weapon and I have no problem with the press check practice. I usually take it a few steps further by completely unloading and checking the weapons basic condition (dust accumulation, possible obstructions, etc) and then reloading. I perform this on a weekly basis on my carry weapon or anytime the weapon has been securedfor a period of time.

Hope this helps.

Doc

Attachments

• G19 Extractor.jpg
    G19 Extractor.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 156