• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO weapon selection

Huck

imported post

I've noticed that LEOs generally carry automatics that are chambered for either 9mm or .40 S@W. Who determines what kind of weapon and what calibre LEOs carry as duty weaps? Is it by law or does the Police Chief/Sheriff decide?

I know some of y'all are or have been LEOs so maybe you can answer this. I'm just curious.

Marco

imported post

LVMPD has a list of approved firearms.
Which is submitted by the Range Training Officer/Officers and approved by theSheriff.
Calibers allowed/approved by LVMPD for on duty carry range from .25acp being the minimum (usually UC/ Vice) and 357 mag, 45acp being the max.
No .44 mags, special or 10mm allowed for duty use.

They issue S&W 5906 and leatherbut officers aren't required to use it, if they supply their own.
I do know they have to qualify with all weapons they intend to use/carry on or off the clock.

The main reason is so Officers that aren't able to purchase their own weapon/gear don't have to until they can afford it.
LVMPD does offer a payroll deduction plan (purchase plan) for New Officers.

I know this because I have several friends on Las Vegas Metro Police Dept.

This was their policy the last time I checked/asked, in 2005