• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

stabbing at Sunset park

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

http://www.ktnv.com/global/story.asp?s=8284708

One Man Dead After Stabbing Near Sunset Park

Posted: May 7, 2008 11:40 AM PDT

On May 6, 2008 at approximately 10:50 p.m., officers responded to a 911 call of a man who was down in the eastbound lanes of Sunset avenue, just east of Eastern Avenue.

Upon the officers' arrival, they observed a deceased male subject from what appeared to be multiple stab wounds.

As a result, homicide detectives responded to the scene and began their investigation.

Detectives have learned that the victim was seen being chased through Sunset Park by two Hispanic male adults, who caught up with the victim near the tennis courts.

Witnesses observed these suspects beating on the victim and then fleeing in an unknown direction.

The victim was then observed to get up and run into traffic on Sunset where he died.

The identity of the victim is being withheld pending notification of next of kin and an autopsy by the Clark County Coroners Office.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is encouraged to contact Crime Stoppers at 385-5555 or the LVMPD Homicide Section at 828-3521.

Keep it tuned to Channel 13 Action News for the latest information.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

And so I sent off a letter to the county parks department:

Hi-

I'm writing to ask about the Rules and Regulations for Clark County parks. I was reviewing the fees for use of parks and noticed the "Prohibited" section of the Rules and Regulations at:

link

My question is about the second item which states:

"Carrying, possessing, or discharging of any firearms, firecrackers, rockets, torpedoes, or other fireworks, air guns, slingshots, boomerangs, or martial arts paraphernalia within any County facility or park without written approval from the Director of Parks & Recreation or designee."

My understanding is that such a rule is not permitted under state law. In 1989, and amended in 2007, the state legislature enacted legislation that prohibits local government from establishing any rule or law regarding the possession/carrying of firearms, except the discharge thereof. As you are a division of Clark County government, I believe NRS 244.364 invalidates your rule (except related to discharge).

Can you help clarify my understanding? Thanks!!

sccrref

imported post

Just wait for the answer to come. Oh, our mistake. You are correct. You may possess firearms in the park for self defense only. However, you may not discharge/fire the weapon under any circumstances. :banghead:

UTOC-45-44

imported post

sccrref wrote:
Just wait for the answer to come. Oh, our mistake. You are correct. You may possess firearms in the park for self defense only. However, you may not discharge/fire the weapon under any circumstances. :banghead:

ROTFLMAO:lol:

TJ

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

No reply to the email. So I called them. The officer who I talked to was very rude, explained he would arrest me and seize my weapon.

I asked for a supervisor and after about 30 minutes got a call back. The supervisor started with "I understand you asked my officer about the law and when he told you, you didn't believe him."

I explained the preemption, recent changes in the law, etc and the supervisor seemed genuinely surprised and promised to follow up with the district attorney's office. I think we already know how they'll respond, but at least the guy will look into it.

calmp9

imported post

They don't seem to be very friendly. You would think that they would be more receptive to people who are inquiring about the law instead of simply acting on their own.

icode

imported post

calmp9 wrote:
They don't seem to be very friendly. You would think that they would be more receptive to people who are inquiring about the law instead of simply acting on their own.

Two things:

1. The more ignorant people are the more power they have, and they like power.

2. See #1.

Shane.

calmp9

imported post

No kidding! Try to do the right thing and this is how they get paid back. Give people some power and they turn into monsters.