• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Philly officials: AWB must be reinstated

Flintlock

imported post

http://www.centredaily.com/news/breaking_news/story/578325.html

Thursday, May. 08, 2008
Philly officials: Assault weapons ban must be reinstated
By KATHY MATHESON- Associated Press Writer

PHILADELPHIA — City and state officials called Thursday for Congress to reinstate a ban on assault weapons, an impassioned plea delivered as the police department prepared to bury an officer killed in the line of duty by a high-powered rifle.

Mayor Michael Nutter said last weekend's "assassination" of Sgt. Stephen Liczbinski, who was shot at least five times by a Chinese SKS rifle while responding to a bank robbery, was "truly shocking."

"We all know that he did not stand a chance," said Nutter, speaking at a City Hall news conference.

The comments came about 12 hours after a third suspect, Eric Floyd, was captured in an abandoned rowhouse in southwest Philadelphia.

Floyd, 33, was caught following a five-day manhunt after police said an FBI agent received a tip on his location. Brought to police headquarters in Liczbinski's handcuffs, Floyd was charged with murder, robbery, conspiracy and related offenses.

Alleged cohort Levon Warner, 38, was arrested Sunday and faces the same charges. The third suspect, Howard Cain, 33, was shot to death by police on Saturday during a post-robbery chase.

At Thursday's news conference, Nutter and Gov. Ed Rendell released a copy of a letter they sent to members of the state's congressional delegation asking for the federal ban on assault weapons to be reinstated. A ban enacted in 1994 was not renewed after lapsing in 2004.
"Passing this legislation will go a long way to protecting those who put their lives on the line every day for us," Rendell and Nutter wrote. "There is no excuse to do otherwise."

Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey, who also attended the news conference, bristled when told that some gun-rights organizations dispute whether the SKS rifle qualifies as an assault weapon.

The gun inflicts wounds so devastating that it should be considered one, Ramsey said angrily.

"Then add it to the frickin' list!" he said to sustained applause from officials and other police officers.

The viewing for Liczbinski, 39, was to begin Thursday evening, followed by a funeral at the city's main cathedral on Friday.

Liczbinski was the third city officer slain on duty in two years. He left a wife and three children.

imperialism2024

imported post

Sigh. I want one of these "high-powered" SKS's. I don't know about the one used in this shooting, but mine only shoots 7.62x39. Would it have been less deadly if the shooter had used a bolt-action .30-06? No, Nutter, you worthless waste of oxygen, it wouldn't.

massltca

imported post

The AWB did nothing to curb violent crime and should stay dead where it belongs. All guns cause devestating wounds, refering to "assault weapons" as high powered and devestating is misleading and infamatory and only serves to divert the public's attention from the real problem. Punishing criminals for their crimes and making sure they stay in prison where they belong. Weapons bans are like using a cannon to kill a mosquito, they punish everyone for the bad acts of the few.

Renegade

imported post

Those elected officials are fools - they consider banning an 7.62x39 SKS but would not ban this fine Remington:

Remington 750 Woodsmaster, 30-06 Springfield Carbine, 18.5" barrel, evil black synthetic stock and optional 10-round magazine!

lgsil_750c.jpg

Aran

Banned
imported post

Renegade wrote:
Those elected officials are fools - they consider banning an 7.62x39 SKS but would not ban this fine Remington:

Remington 750 Woodsmaster, 30-06 Springfield Carbine, 18.5" barrel, evil black synthetic stock and optional 10-round magazine!

lgsil_750c.jpg

Mmm, ban those and send them allllllll to me.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Renegade wrote:

lgsil_750c.jpg
And they aren't thinking of banning the M1 Garand (the U.S. counterpart to the SKS). I'll bet you anything a .308 or 30-06 does more horrific damage in the wrong hands than a 7.62 Soviet.

imperialism2024

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
Renegade wrote:

lgsil_750c.jpg
And they aren't thinking of banning the M1 Garand (the U.S. counterpart to the SKS). I'll bet you anything a .308 or 30-06 does more horrific damage in the wrong hands than a 7.62 Soviet.
Yeah, but it doesn't look scary!

Aran

Banned
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Liko81 wrote:
Renegade wrote:

lgsil_750c.jpg
Yeah, but it doesn't look scary!
You have to look at it from the right angle, that's all. Muzzle-first, locked and loaded, I presume.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

From available DOJ stats, nearly 30% of all homicides (all causes) in 2005 were committed in:

Birmingham, Phoenix, LA County, LA City, Chicago, Indianapolis, NOLA, Baltimore, Prince George County MD, Detroit, Kansas City MO, St Louis MO, Las Vega, NYC, Cleveland, Columbus, Philidelphia, Memphis, Dallas, Houston and Milwaukee (chosen because of the available data they were all the ones with 100+ murders in 2005)

These cities and counties only contain about 8.5% of our population. If a few other large urban areas were available, I would bet that the differntials would be even greater.

That means, excluding those areas, the rest of the country has a murder rate of about 4.4 /100,000 (calculated) whereas with those areas the murder rate is 5.8/100,000 (DOJ) for 2005, the lowest since 1966. But without those few areas, without that 8.5% of the population, the murder rate is as low as it was last in about 1909. In other words, 91.5% of our population has a murder rate not seen nationally for 100 years. Just 10 years ago, the gap was even larger.

Wisconsin as an example:
Milwaukee contains about 11% of all of Wisconsin's population
In 2005 over 62% of all murders in WI occurred in Milwaukee.

IL example:
Chicago contains about 22.5% of all Illinois' population.
In 2005 over 58% of all murders in IL occurred in Chicago.

And, since this is the PA state forum:
Philidelphia contains about 12% of all PA's population.
In 2005 nearly 50% of all murders in PA occurred in Philidelphia

How does this apply to this thread? Well, the fact is that a very small percentage of our population can't all live together in a crowded area and those population centers attempt to punish the other 90% of us who generally get along pretty well by restricting our rights over their failures to govern, police and function.

ETA: In various sources the homicide rates reported can vary quite a bit. My data was culled from the DOJ data. Wikipedia, UN and other sources have different numbers. A wiki article on the subject quotes DOJ crime stats as the source but differs by .4 from the DOJ site.

imperialism2024

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
From available DOJ stats, nearly 30% of all homicides (all causes) in 2005 were committed in:

Birmingham, Phoenix, LA County, LA City, Chicago, Indianapolis, NOLA, Baltimore, Prince George County MD, Detroit, Kansas City MO, St Louis MO, Las Vega, NYC, Cleveland, Columbus, Philidelphia, Memphis, Dallas, Houston and Milwaukee (chosen because of the available data they were all the ones with 100+ murders in 2005)

These cities and counties only contain about 8.5% of our population. If a few other large urban areas were available, I would bet that the differntials would be even greater.

That means, excluding those areas, the rest of the country has a murder rate of about 4.4 /100,000 (calculated) whereas with those areas the murder rate is 5.8/100,000 (DOJ) for 2005, the lowest since 1966. But without those few areas, without that 8.5% of the population, the murder rate is as low as it was last in about 1909. In other words, 91.5% of our population has a murder rate not seen nationally for 100 years. Just 10 years ago, the gap was even larger.

Wisconsin as an example:
Milwaukee contains about 11% of all of Wisconsin's population
In 2005 over 62% of all murders in WI occurred in Milwaukee.

IL example:
Chicago contains about 22.5% of all Illinois' population.
In 2005 over 58% of all murders in IL occurred in Chicago.

And, since this is the PA state forum:
Philidelphia contains about 12% of all PA's population.
In 2005 nearly 50% of all murders in PA occurred in Philidelphia

How does this apply to this thread? Well, the fact is that a very small percentage of our population can't all live together in a crowded area and those population centers attempt to punish the other 90% of us who generally get along pretty well by restricting our rights over their failures to govern, police and function.

ETA: In various sources the homicide rates reported can vary quite a bit. My data was culled from the DOJ data. Wikipedia, UN and other sources have different numbers. A wiki article on the subject quotes DOJ crime stats as the source but differs by .4 from the DOJ site.
Solution? Ban cities.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Renegade wrote:

lgsil_750c.jpg
No doubt that is the rationale Komrade King Obama will use when he re institutes the assault weapon ban next year - with assault weapon defined as any firearm with a capacity of more than 1 round.

I would not even be surprised if you will have to have new type of federal license along the lines of a C&R to own one of remaining weapons allowed.

stephpd

imported post

Skeptic wrote:
Renegade wrote:

lgsil_750c.jpg
No doubt that is the rationale Komrade King Obama will use when he re institutes the assault weapon ban next year - with assault weapon defined as any firearm with a capacity of more than 1 round.

I would not even be surprised if you will have to have new type of federal license along the lines of a C&R to own one of remaining weapons allowed.
Sounds like the first step of 'reasonable gun control'.:banghead:

Next would be rounding up all guns that are grandfathered.

Start with the 'national regestry' of current guns and seize all guns on property.

Criminals steal guns and this will give them less to steal.

Don't worry it for your own protection.:cuss:

Evans86

imported post

so did anyone stop and ask if this person had this ASSAULT WEAPON legally??? I'd bet an awful lot of money that it was not. an AWB would do nothing but harm you and me who do get them legally. And does this also mean since there are police killed by other cars when stoping someone that all cars should be banned? or cars that can drive faster then 65? or any kind of car that was used in the killing of a cop? I'm starting to get tired of all of these people baseing a decesion off of one instance and not even looking at all of the facts! like common people, you need to wake up and look at everything before makeing a judgement! Anyone else feel the same way?

imperialism2024

imported post

Evans86 wrote:
so did anyone stop and ask if this person had this ASSAULT WEAPON legally??? I'd bet an awful lot of money that it was not. an AWB would do nothing but harm you and me who do get them legally. And does this also mean since there are police killed by other cars when stoping someone that all cars should be banned? or cars that can drive faster then 65? or any kind of car that was used in the killing of a cop? I'm starting to get tired of all of these people baseing a decesion off of one instance and not even looking at all of the facts! like common people, you need to wake up and look at everything before makeing a judgement! Anyone else feel the same way?
Not to nit-pick, but there are no truly "legal" or "illegal" guns, but rather "legal" and "illegal" actions. Regardless of how someone acquires a gun, and regardless of that person's criminal history, every person who isn't securely confined (i.e. prison or mental hospital) has every right to have said gun. Remember, the gun-grabbers want all gun owners to be "prohibited persons".

I understand and agree with your sentiment, though.

WhiteFeather

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Evans86 wrote:
Not to nit-pick, but there are no truly "legal" or "illegal" guns, but rather "legal" and "illegal" actions. Regardless of how someone acquires a gun, and regardless of that person's criminal history, every person who isn't securely confined (i.e. prison or mental hospital) has every right to have said gun. Remember, the gun-grabbers want all gun owners to be "prohibited persons".

I understand and agree with your sentiment, though.

True-er words were never spoken.

Although we rail against felons owning guns many never explain what or whom they consider a felon. If we use the general term accepted by the goverment it could mean someone with back taxes, or a drunk driver.

I have said it in the past I will state once more. If you cannot be trusted to carry a tool for self defense than you should not be amoung the general populace.

I am truly sadden by the events that unfold like this one. But instead of punishing us why don't they punish the DA's office or the DJ? They are truly to blame for this violence, they allow murderers and rapist to walk or have sentences so short in moments that nothing is taught. It is all very frustrating.

OT a little. But the Supremem Court just rulled that Rapist cannot be given the death penalty via the judical system. Rapist everywhere are celebrating :(

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

WhiteFeather wrote:
OT a little. But the Supremem Court just rulled that Rapist cannot be given the death penalty via the judical system. Rapist everywhere are celebrating :(

Child rapists, to be precise.

Satanlaughing spreads his wings over America once again...