Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Shops and Open Carry

Post imported post

I'm still wondering why i'm getting negative responses about OC from employees at Eastside gun stores. I got two shops (Wades and West Coast Armory) to admit that it is legal but that they would never practise it or recommend it because you would for sure get your neck stepped on by police.

I have a friend/gun dealer also at Wades who said to me after I asked him about OC, "no way its legal, its call brandishing a firearm, and unless you have a badge it illegal!" I told him about peacefully carrying in a hostler and all that but he still was saying, "well, thats a reason to warrant alarm, and if I saw someone OCing in public I'd definantly call 911." Kind of frustrating, I didn't argue with him further since he was an old gun guy and I was a young gun guy and since I am still new this whole OCing thing. I will wait for right time to be like, "bitch, you trippin!".

Not like it really matters what they think but I'd figure that since they're around guns a whole lot and occasionally infrom the public about gun laws I'd just wish they'd be less one sided one the matter, it made me feel more paranoid about OCing after living the shop. Took some reading at OCDO to calm my nerves.

Post imported post

I've never asked anyone at Wade's, but the fact that every single employee in there seems to be OCing might be an indication of their feelings on the issue.

Post imported post

Why would you ask? I've never had any problem at Bullseye in Tacoma, but I’ve never discussed it with anyone there. I have discussed it with Dan at Mary’s Pistols in Tacoma and he seems enthusiastic.

Post imported post

I ask because I'm curious. They didn't have a problem with me OC, just said that they personally wouldn't ever do it. The guy I talk to who said the brandishing thing was an old boss of mine from way back he's old and stubborn but a good guy.

Post imported post

PolskiG, You need to recognize when someone is talking out their ass about a subject they know nothing about. Obviously the employees at Wade's and other gun shops are like so many gun store employees, self made experts with no real knowledge about the true facts. They are salesmen and not experts on guns and/or gun laws. They also aren't interested in learning the facts either, probably for fear of brain strain.

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    Why would you ask?

Mainsail, nice avatar!

I think the reason he asks is for affirmation. He thinks that surely in a gun store there will be like minded people who will agree with his (our) beliefs that OC is a good thing. Instead, he foundfolks that were closed mindand set in their ways.

I did the same thing about a year ago, and I got the same result. So, I quit asking! From reading this forum, the RCWs, and case law, I became more informed than most gun shop owners would ever hope to be. Like Bear said, "They are salesmen and not experts on guns and/or gun laws. They also aren't interested in learning the facts either..."

Edit: needed another comma, and they're so cheap!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

What's wierd is that I spoke to Sean Wade about this and he was finally educated on the subject with the Bellevue bulletin. I will be talking with him to see what's going on.

Post imported post

There are only four places I visit that have "No Guns" signs on the doors: The Firing Line (gunshop/shooting range), Cherry Creek Range, Sportsmans Warehouse and Gander Mntn. I find it odd the only stores that don't like me carrying are the ones selling guns.

Post imported post

FogRider wrote:
    There are only four places I visit that have "No Guns" signs on the doors: The Firing Line (gunshop/shooting range), Cherry Creek Range, Sportsmans Warehouse and Gander Mntn. I find it odd the only stores that don't like me carrying are the ones selling guns.
    I don't know about your Sportsmans Warehouse, but Open Carry is just fine in Washington in the Sportsmans Warrehouse. Any gun to be worked on or returned must be unloaded and cased, but your personnal weapon in a holsteris just fine.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    I don't know about your Sportsmans Warehouse, but Open Carry is just fine in Washington in the Sportsmans Warrehouse. Any gun to be worked on or returned must be unloaded and cased, but your personnal weapon in a holsteris just fine.
    Yup. They mirror state law...

Post imported post

I OC'd in Wade's without an issue while helping my friend purchase an M4A3 there. We were there for at least 20 minutes if not longer.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

State Researcher

Post imported post

I've OC'd in Bullseye, nobody gave it a second glance that I could see.

Post imported post

Never had a problem at any gun shop. Wade's, Champion arms, Discount guns, Butches, Central Gun... A guy at discount guns asked me if I was Tukwila PD once but that was it.

Post imported post

I'll be OCing at Sam's this evening. I haven't seen them put up here as pro- or anti-OC, but don't expect any problems. I'm assuming that Agent 47 has them well-educated.

Post imported post

sean-1286 wrote:
    I'll be OCing at Sam's this evening. I haven't seen them put up here as pro- or anti-OC, but don't expect any problems. I'm assuming that Agent 47 has them well-educated.
    Actually, the rangemasters (Howard and Tom) and the other guys at the store didn't like OC and didn't like Agent 47 being known as an employee on these boards, as they thought he was representing the store as being pro-OC, when he really was very clear it was his own opinions. This was related to me from Howard, who knows I OC, am Pro-OC, and am not LEO.

Plus, chances are you'll see an LEO or two there, but they usually go during the weekdays when people aren't crowding the lanes, even though they have their own bay off to the side there.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    sean-1286 wrote:
    Actually, the rangemasters (Howard and Tom) and the other guys at the store didn't like OC and didn't like Agent 47 being known as an employee on these boards, as they thought he was representing the store as being pro-OC, when he really was very clear it was his own opinions. This was related to me from Howard, who knows I OC, am Pro-OC, and am not LEO.

Plus, chances are you'll see an LEO or two there, but they usually go during the weekdays when people aren't crowding the lanes, even though they have their own bay off to the side there.
    Do they not allow OC, or just don't like it personally?

Post imported post

Pretty sure it's a personal thing, as they never said anything to me about my OC, which I did every time I walked in there.

But, at the same time, they already knew me pretty well and may not act the same towards someone they're not familiar with. They get a decent amount of wannabe gangtsas in there to shoot and are understandably leery about people they don't know, especially in their 20's.

Honestly, I doubt they'd have a problem with you, but just be aware of the fact that they may 'poo-poo' you on the OC.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    They are supposed to mirror the state laws, but the signs on the doors planly state they want all guns unloaded and checked. I spoke with a manager at SW for a few minutes and got nowhere, and honestly havent had the time or motivation to pursue it further. I really ought to get on that though.

Edit: This is the SW at I225 & Alameda, and the GM just off I225, just north of Illif.

Post imported post

FogRider wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    They are supposed to mirror the state laws, but the signs on the doors planly state they want all guns unloaded and checked. I spoke with a manager at SW for a few minutes and got nowhere, and honestly havent had the time or motivation to pursue it further. I really ought to get on that though.

Edit: This is the SW at I225 & Alameda, and the GM just off I225, just north of Illif.
    Call corporate, they will straighten out wrong head managers and cure the sign problem, at least that's what worked here in Washington.

Post imported post

sean-1286 wrote:
    just_a_car wrote:
    sean-1286 wrote:

A lot of customers OC at Sam's and It never was a problem while I was there, Howard and Tom know perfectly well that it is legal but have personal problems with the idea that people actually exercise those particular freedoms out in public.

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    Call corporate, they will straighten out wrong head managers and cure the sign problem, at least that's what worked here in Washington.
    I'll give that a shot. The signs really don't need to change very much, but as they are right now they say all guns, not just guns being brought in to be worked on.

Post imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
    A lot of customers OC at Sam's and It never was a problem while I was there, Howard and Tom know perfectly well that it is legal but have personal problems with the idea that people actually exercise those particular freedoms out in public.
    Thanks for the helpful information, Agent 47 and just_a_car.

It's such a nice day I don't think I'll want to wear a jacket . I'll post if I have any problems.

Post imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
    sean-1286 wrote:
    just_a_car wrote:
    sean-1286 wrote:

I've talked with both when I was shooting there. In a conversation with Howard he plainly stated that he knew that OC was not against State Law but fell in with the group that highly discouraged it. Tom (or is it Thom) was another story. I find that most conversations with Tom are very one-sided. Only HE truly knows anything about guns, shooting, the Law, etc. He will also take the opportunity to point out that he is an ex-cop. On that note, ask him about the hole in the locker at EPD and how it got there. And for a follow up ask him if they still put the "mini" bulletproof vest on the tree down at the range in Burien when he is shooting there.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

I went up to Sam's on Friday afternoon after picking my brother up at the ferry. Unfortunately, they require a parent or guardian to sign for people under 18 and my brother is 15 to we left. It's unfortunate their insurance must require that, because we were going to rent guns and buy ammo and everything so they lost a lot of money. Nothing was said about my OC.

We ended up going to Wade's which didn't seem to have as nice a selection and was more expensive. When you rent their guns you must buy their ammo which they sell for $14 for 9mm and $21 (:shock for .40. Despite being expensive, it was fun and again, no comments about my OC.

Post imported post

sean-1286 wrote:
    I went up to Sam's on Friday afternoon after picking my brother up at the ferry. Unfortunately, they require a parent or guardian to sign for people under 18 and my brother is 15 to we left. It's unfortunate their insurance must require that, because we were going to rent guns and buy ammo and everything so they lost a lot of money. Nothing was said about my OC.

We ended up going to Wade's which didn't seem to have as nice a selection and was more expensive. When you rent their guns you must buy their ammo which they sell for $14 for 9mm and $21 (:shock for .40. Despite being expensive, it was fun and again, no comments about my OC.
    I thought the requirement was someone over 18 to sign, not just a parent or guardian. Next time get a note fromthe parents saying you have the authority to take him shooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast