• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Shops and Open Carry

FogRider

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Call corporate, they will straighten out wrong head managers and cure the sign problem, at least that's what worked here in Washington.
I'll give that a shot. The signs really don't need to change very much, but as they are right now they say all guns, not just guns being brought in to be worked on.

carhas0

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
A lot of customers OC at Sam's and It never was a problem while I was there, Howard and Tom know perfectly well that it is legal but have personal problems with the idea that people actually exercise those particular freedoms out in public.
Thanks for the helpful information, Agent 47 and just_a_car.

It's such a nice day I don't think I'll want to wear a jacket ;). I'll post if I have any problems.

amlevin

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
sean-1286 wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
sean-1286 wrote:
I'll be OCing at Sam's this evening. I haven't seen them put up here as pro- or anti-OC, but don't expect any problems. I'm assuming that Agent 47 has them well-educated.
Actually, the rangemasters (Howard and Tom) and the other guys at the store didn't like OC and didn't like Agent 47 being known as an employee on these boards, as they thought he was representing the store as being pro-OC, when he really was very clear it was his own opinions. This was related to me from Howard, who knows I OC, am Pro-OC, and am not LEO.

Plus, chances are you'll see an LEO or two there, but they usually go during the weekdays when people aren't crowding the lanes, even though they have their own bay off to the side there.

Do they not allow OC, or just don't like it personally?
A lot of customers OC at Sam's and It never was a problem while I was there, Howard and Tom know perfectly well that it is legal but have personal problems with the idea that people actually exercise those particular freedoms out in public.
I've talked with both when I was shooting there. In a conversation with Howard he plainly stated that he knew that OC was not against State Law but fell in with the group that highly discouraged it. Tom (or is it Thom) was another story. I find that most conversations with Tom are very one-sided. Only HE truly knows anything about guns, shooting, the Law, etc. He will also take the opportunity to point out that he is an ex-cop. On that note, ask him about the hole in the locker at EPD and how it got there. And for a follow up ask him if they still put the "mini" bulletproof vest on the tree down at the range in Burien when he is shooting there.

carhas0

imported post

I went up to Sam's on Friday afternoon after picking my brother up at the ferry. Unfortunately, they require a parent or guardian to sign for people under 18 and my brother is 15 to we left. It's unfortunate their insurance must require that, because we were going to rent guns and buy ammo and everything so they lost a lot of money. Nothing was said about my OC.

We ended up going to Wade's which didn't seem to have as nice a selection and was more expensive. When you rent their guns you must buy their ammo which they sell for $14 for 9mm and $21 :)shock:) for .40. Despite being expensive, it was fun and again, no comments about my OC.

Bear 45/70

imported post

sean-1286 wrote:
I went up to Sam's on Friday afternoon after picking my brother up at the ferry. Unfortunately, they require a parent or guardian to sign for people under 18 and my brother is 15 to we left. It's unfortunate their insurance must require that, because we were going to rent guns and buy ammo and everything so they lost a lot of money. Nothing was said about my OC.

We ended up going to Wade's which didn't seem to have as nice a selection and was more expensive. When you rent their guns you must buy their ammo which they sell for $14 for 9mm and $21 :)shock:) for .40. Despite being expensive, it was fun and again, no comments about my OC.
I thought the requirement was someone over 18 to sign, not just a parent or guardian. Next time get a note fromthe parents saying you have the authority to take him shooting.

just_a_car

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
Hey Sean, Sam's has the same requirement of "their guns, their ammo"; it's not just Wade's.
...as does Bullseye if I'm not mistaken.
It makes total sense the way Howard explained it to me. If the gun malfunctions and injures someone, they don't want anyone to have been using reloads or something and then blame them for the injury due to the gun. That way, they have control and responsibility over the firearm and any issues with it.

joeroket

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
Hey Sean, Sam's has the same requirement of "their guns, their ammo"; it's not just Wade's.
...as does Bullseye if I'm not mistaken.
It makes total sense the way Howard explained it to me. If the gun malfunctions and injures someone, they don't want anyone to have been using reloads or something and then blame them for the injury due to the gun. That way, they have control and responsibility over the firearm and any issues with it.
Wades told me that they require thier ammo in thier rental guns because they don't want people testing thier handloads and ruinging the rentals, which makes sense to me also.

carhas0

imported post

I'm not complaining that Wade's made me buy their ammo per se as I know other stores, such as Bullseye, have the same requirement. But unlike Bullseye who sells Speer Lawman 9mm for $10 a box (a reasonable price), Wade's was selling their 9mm ammo for $14 a box. I think it was Magtech, which can easily be found for closer to $10. Also, as I wrote in a previous post, their .40 caliber ammo cost $21 a box, which is extremely overpriced.

The requirement is fine from a liability persepctive and to protect their guns, but it is a little irritating when it is just used to make money, but that's what a business does. The bottom line is I still paid and had fun, just ranting a little about the ammo price.