• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pullman Transit

Shy_Panda

imported post

So seeing as how gas prices are way too high for me to afford I have been planning on using the public transportation (Pullman Transit) around townto run my errands while OCing. Seeing as how Pullman is a college town pretty much every route runs throughcampus and stops at the bookie (bookstore in the middle of campus)which is usedessentially as a transfer station. Seeing as how it is public transportation they theoretically can't prevent mefrom using their services, but because oneof the main stops is on campusit becomes a sticky situation with the WAC and all. If I needed toget offon campus to transfer buses and had to wait there for the next bus what exactly wouldthey be able to do considering they are essentially forcing me to violate the WAC by abidingby the RCW and using public transport. It isn't like I can say "I'm not a student" considering it is my student ID that gets mea toll free ride despite the fact that I am not attending classes during the summer; do I still even fall under the WAC? Just curious as to what you all are thinking about this whole situation, I would like to hear some ideas and preferably see some potential legal arguments before I refrain from walking all over town.

The attachment is the schedule and route map for the summer.

Attachments

• Summer%20service%20schedule%20for%20website%20combined.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 90

joeroket

imported post

I would assume that since you are a current student, regardless of not attending during the summer, that you would be bound by the WAC. Just my opinion and it could be wrong as I do not know if they consider you a student during the summer quarter.

Shy_Panda

imported post

But what I am specifically concerned with is if I will be hassled for standing there waiting for a bus should I need to transfer and what kinds of legal repercussions could be brought against me for attempting to ride the bus legally.

Dave The Welder

imported post

This is WSU police we're talking about. You'll temporarily be relieved of you sidearm, be handcuffed, and then suspended from school. Right, wrong, or indifferent, the bus runs through WSU and you signed an agreement not to possess a firearm on campus property. Don't do it. That said, maybe we could talk to the police and to the administration and ask them if the WAC applies to driving or riding the bus through the campus, and if it doesn't, then ask for a written statement stating such.

Shy_Panda

imported post

Dave The Welder wrote:
Lonnie Wilson wrote:
Similar situation over here with Community Transit. Usually the transit agency owns the property.
I don't think that they own the property, they drop us off on a street corner.
But isn't the little shack on the corner pullman transit? I don't plan on risking it until I have confirmation from them, until then I figure I can ride through on public transport and be fine so long as I don't get off on campus. If I need to go anywhere in the surrounding area then I can walk... it is Pullman afterall.

Dave The Welder

imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
But isn't the little shack on the corner pullman transit? I don't plan on risking it until I have confirmation from them, until then I figure I can ride through on public transport and be fine so long as I don't get off on campus.
I wouldn't even ride through campus as you still are in possession of a firearm on campus property.

Shy_Panda

imported post

So it is a defacto ban on all firearms on the buses in Pullman, but only for those who are students because I can't get to some of the locations around town without passing through campus. As crazy as it sounds I can't even go to safeway (the opposite direction) without getting in trouble? Would carrying it in a case until I get to my destination work? How exactly do you transport yours on the bus if you don't mind me asking.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

While you are on transit you are not under control of the school. While you are on transit property (bus, bus stop, etc...) you are not under the school rules.

Just my two cents for what it's worth...

carhas0

imported post

I was wondering the same thing recently about UW. I know that roads through campus are public roads, but they may also be considered campus. I would say this would be a good thing to write the administration or the campus PD about.

just_a_car

imported post

They (and for now, I) would tell you to get off at a stop just before entering campus and walk to the nearest stop that the other bus passes outside of campus. If that's on the other side of campus, go around campus and catch it there. At the moment, that's really your only option to transfer without entering campus and transfering buses. Same goes for the UW, which is even easier, since all the buses that go in and out of the UW enter and exit from one of three locations: 45th street (north entrance), 15th Ave (West entrance), or Montlake Blvd (East entrance), so you can catch any of those buses leaving outside of those public/non-campus entryways.

Dave The Welder

imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
How exactly do you transport yours on the bus if you don't mind me asking.
Remember that I'm transporting mine on the bus so that I can get off at school and transport it directly to and from the police station. I carry it unloaded in a shoulder bag with two magazines in my pocket.