• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richocet

SQLtables

imported post

I just got home from the Sportsman's club where I was shooting with my friend, and he got hit with a richocet. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the wound, but he has a pretty good spot on his stomach that was bleeding, and a couple of welts under his arm.

We had been shooting for a couple of hours when he fired, and I felt something hit my side. Since I saw the casing from his shot land in front of me, I knew it wasn't that, but it only stung a little bit so I didn't think anything of it. I suppose I should have.

A little while later, he was shooting my XD9. He fired a round and sort of bent over and said "what the hell was that?" I immediately looked at the gun and realized it was still intact, so that wasn't the problem. He told me he thinks he got hit, and lifted his shirt to show where he was hit.
(When he fired, I saw the hole appear in the target, and then I saw the target swing out towards us, and a rip appear on the edge of the paper.)

After inspecting more closely, we found a few lead fragments stuck in his shirt. Crazy.

Overall this was a pretty freaky thing to have happen. We looked at the backstop, and it looks to be getting full of lead. Could that cause something like this? It seems like it was happening a lot, since I felt it and he mentioned he had felt something earlier in the night too. All of our targets had small holes from fragments in them as well.

I guess this is why we take the first aid kit with us....

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SQLtables wrote:
I just got home from the Sportsman's club where I was shooting with my friend, and he got hit with a richocet. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the wound, but he has a pretty good spot on his stomach that was bleeding, and a couple of welts under his arm.

We had been shooting for a couple of hours when he fired, and I felt something hit my side. Since I saw the casing from his shot land in front of me, I knew it wasn't that, but it only stung a little bit so I didn't think anything of it. I suppose I should have.

A little while later, he was shooting my XD9. He fired a round and sort of bent over and said "what the hell was that?" I immediately looked at the gun and realized it was still intact, so that wasn't the problem. He told me he thinks he got hit, and lifted his shirt to show where he was hit.
(When he fired, I saw the hole appear in the target, and then I saw the target swing out towards us, and a rip appear on the edge of the paper.)

After inspecting more closely, we found a few lead fragments stuck in his shirt. Crazy.

Overall this was a pretty freaky thing to have happen. We looked at the backstop, and it looks to be getting full of lead. Could that cause something like this? It seems like it was happening a lot, since I felt it and he mentioned he had felt something earlier in the night too. All of our targets had small holes from fragments in them as well.

I guess this is why we take the first aid kit with us....

Obviously a ploy by anti-gunners to discourage target practice. :)

Yes, I'd say its time to find a new range or get the backstop replaced.

Y'all were wearing eye protection, yes?

ODA 226

imported post

I was there when a friend of mine took a 9mm ric in Iraq. We were shooting falling steel plates on a range and all of a sudden, Jack recoiled back in pain holding his forehead.

He fired a round at a plate and the damn thing came staight back and nailed him in the brain housing group.

A big plum formed immediately on his noggin and it looked like it hurt pretty badly.

tarzan1888

imported post

I used to have a girl who worked for me that told me how she and her husband had been out shooting his 9mm. He shot an oldtree straight on at about 30 yards and the bullet ricochet straight back and hit her in the thigh. It did not penetrate her pants but left a huge bruise on her thigh. They took pictures of the tree and her thigh, as they didn't think people would believe her otherwise.

Strange things happen in this world.

Tarzan

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I had a ricochet once.. I was shooting a old truck in the woods with my shotgun (00 Buck shells) . I was a good distance away from the truck and one time I saw a piece of lead fly back toward me.. That was the last shot I made on that truck. I kept thinking thank God it did not hit me. Even though I saw it, does not mean it could not havekill me. (that's what I thought to myself)