• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairfax Senator Saslaw insults gun owners again!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Tiny URL for this AP story: http://tinyurl.com/536htc

SNIP

Saslaw said he’s not necessarily surprised that VCDL found restaurants in the region that would allow them to dine while armed. But he said that carrying guns is simply not normal behavior in this area.

“What normal person walks around with a gun on your hip? Something’s wrong in your life” if you feel compelled to carry a gun as part of your daily routine, he said.

The gun owners bristle at that stereotype. Nearly 100 people attended the various lunches and dinners, including many retired military personnel. Others were white-collar professionals. While most were white men, the group included blacks, Hispanics, Asians and women.

“This isn’t a bunch of drunk rednecks sidling up to a saloon,” said Christopher Wu, 28, of Alexandria, carrying a Springfield XD45 pistol.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Oh I have no doubt he thinks something is wrong with us. After all we take responsibility for our own lives, thats something that offends him and threatens his job security.

dixiehacker

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well I guess old Dick isn't surprised that he is wrong about restaurants kicking out gun owners.

Perhaps he will also not be surprised to found out that carrying a firearm is normal behavior.

unrequited

imported post

I don't remember using the words sidling, saloon, or redneck... but I was the first one who tipped him to opencarry.org according to the writer. I said that these dinners aren't new to Virginia, and most of us have been doing them for years. OC did get a mention, so yay

CajunRebel

imported post

Again, Sanslaw (misspelling intended), errs in choosing his words, e.g., referring to law-abiding Virginians, who are also open-carry gun enthusiasts, as cast members from Deliverance. I believethe word "average" would have been moreappropriate than "normal." Again he insults asegmentof his constituents. Unfortunately, I believe he only represents "normal" voters who are "normally" anti-gun and "normally" share his views. If you are not in agreement with his"normal stance you are considered an abnormal, uneducated redneck. I'mwonder ifhe's aware of those rednecks from Bedford, Virginia?

Bedford, Virginia
"Like eleven other Virginia communities, Bedford provided a company of soldiers (Company A) to the 29th Infantry Division when the National Guard's 116th Infantry Regiment was activated on 3 February 1941. Some thirty Bedford soldiers were still in that company on D-Day; several more from Bedford were in other D-Day companies, including one who, two years earlier, had been reassigned from the 116th Infantry to the First Infantry Division. Thus he had already landed in both Northern Africa and Sicily before coming ashore on D-Day at Omaha Beach with the Big Red One. Company A of the 116th Infantry assaulted Omaha Beach as part of the First Division's Task Force O. By day's end, nineteen of the company's Bedford soldiers were dead. Two more Bedford soldiers died later in the Normandy campaign, as did yet another two assigned to other 116th Infantry companies. Bedford's population in 1944 was about 3,200. Proportionally this community suffered the nation's severest D-Day losses."

Just another bunch of Virginia rednecks who sacrificed their tomorrow for his today.

bohdi

imported post

I think the only thing wrong with us is that we don't just be quiet when a public offical says something demeaning and stupid about the population they are supposed to represent.

Jersey Ron

imported post

You guys have GOT to work to send Dick(head) packing in the next election:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Too funny!! I almost fell out of my chair laughing!

Jersey

Rey

imported post

unrequited wrote:
I don't remember using the words sidling, saloon, or redneck... but I was the first one who tipped him to opencarry.org according to the writer. I said that these dinners aren't new to Virginia, and most of us have been doing them for years. OC did get a mention, so yay

HAHAHAHA. What??? Reporter gets it wrong?? :what:

Man, I remember those imbedded reporters during the invasion reporting back on their satellite phones, "we were under heavy sniper fire..." and I was standing there thinking, "when the hell was this?"

The funniest was in Norway, before my divorce,when I told the reporter, "yeahit's tough beingaway from my wife andkid, but the trainingis worth it." He quoted me as saying, "I would very much like to return to my wife and child, and will be glad when this training ends." I was like "WTF??" Not only did me make me sound like a sissy, but a British sissy!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Ok, I gotta say it.

I really wish people would refrain from using the term "redneck". To a Southerner, this is a derogatory term much like "nigger" is to a black person. I find both terms to be distasteful and best left out of polite discussion.

Just a point of contention. Hope y'all understand.

Neplusultra

imported post

BUBB4H wrote:
unrequited wrote:

HAHAHAHA. What??? Reporter gets it wrong?? :what:

Man, I remember those imbedded reporters during the invasion reporting back on their satellite phones, "we were under heavy sniper fire..." and I was standing there thinking, "when the hell was this?"

The funniest was in Norway, before my divorce,when I told the reporter, "yeahit's tough beingaway from my wife andkid, but the trainingis worth it." He quoted me as saying, "I would very much like to return to my wife and child, and will be glad when this training ends." I was like "WTF??" Not only did me make me sound like a sissy, but a British sissy!
Welcome to the world of media, where it is ok for the reporter to make you say what he wanted you to say. I've had it happen with editorials where they would edit my article, leaving only my own words, in such a way that I would say something completely different than what I did or even would want to say.

Always verify the story, because you know they won't.

Flintlock

imported post

I wish that district would vote in a "normal" represenative that abides by his oath of office and doesn't discriminate against the "minorities"...

unrequited

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I really wish people would refrain from using the term "redneck". To a Southerner, this is a derogatory term much like "nigger" is to a black person. I find both terms to be distasteful and best left out of polite discussion.
Understandable which is why I posted above. Maybe Nakedshoplifter can remember what was said, because I hardly ever use that word, and I've never used sidling except for maybe once or twice when talking about Legend of Zelda: Windwaker because a button makes you "sidle" when you're near a wall.

zoom6zoom

imported post

where it is ok for the reporter to make you say what he wanted you to say
Another reason to get a voice recorder. We need to start hammering them anytime they misquote or misattribute.

I just found this one... think I'll get one and try it out. Totally discreet, looks like a pen, no red light or anything. Can't tell if it'x VOX, but it will record 64 hours. And I need to carry a pen anyway, one less thing to forget.
http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=102632616#moreinfo

I don't know about Sidle... wasn't she the annoying chick on CSI?

hsmith

imported post

Something is wrong with your life when you judge others and you have a strong desire to control peoples lives.

I guess rape victims and victims of domestic are just f'ed up in the head according to Saslaw. They are evil people who are nut cases! How dare those POS'es protect themselves.