• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SASLAW Story is Out!

Anubis

imported post

Apparently this dinner was at a Champps?

That is so funny. Here in CO, it is legal to carry OC or CC in an alcohol-serving venue. There are few places posted no-carry here, but the local Champps is posted.

jegoodin

imported post

I open carried at Mike's American in Springfield a couple of weeks ago and not a thing was said to me. As usual, I enjoyed a near perfect medium rare ribeye.

I've also OC'd in Kilroy's before, but the last time was several months ago.

Of course I didn't get up an announce to the whole restaurant that I was carrying. I was seated, I ordered, ate, and left.

riegnman

imported post

I don't want to hijack this thread and I realize that this is long, so feel free to delete if necessary and I'll start a thread of my own. I just wanted to share an email that I just sent to Sen. Saslaw:

Senator Saslaw,
After reading an article in the Bristol Herald Courier dated Tuesday, May 11, 2008 and entitled "Guns in restaurants draw stares but little outcry", I feel compelled to voice my concerns with your current stand on gun rights.
While you may be a very fine man, your views on gun ownership and gun rights could not more wrong. One thing that you are correct about is that the article quotes you as saying "What normal person walks around with a gun on your hip? Something's wrong in your life." As much as I hate to admit it, you are entirely correct. There are LOTS of things wrong in life. That's the whole reason that I walk around with a gun on my hip. There are lots of things wrong in your life also.
There are lots of things wrong in everyone's life. For you to imply that someone shouldn't employ means to protect themselves and their loved ones is beyond words. Let me tell you a story.

Oct. 4th, 2007- I received a frantic call from my wife around 3:00pm stating that she had just come home with my 3 young sons to find that the back door had been kicked in. During the course of our conversation, she said that she heard someone upstairs. I immediately told her to get the boys and get out of the house. She went to a friends house and I left work to head home, (a 55 minute drive).

I arrived home and to my good fortune happened to have a single shot .410 shotgun and some ammo in my outdoor building because my oldest son and I had gone squirrel hunting the previous morning. I went into the house with the shotgun and shells to clear the house of any remaining danger and noticed that the intruders had stolen all of my guns and ammo except for one shotgun that remained in the gun safe. My wife had been in the house with armed intruders with my three small children. After clearing the house, I called 911 at 4:30pm. At 6:30pm, I called 911 back and was told that they had not dispatched anyone yet. Apparently I called right at the shift change and had gotten "lost in the shuffle". At 7:30pm, a Washington County, VA deputy pulled up in my driveway, apologized for taking so long and took about 4 pictures of the crime scene.

The intruders had touched at least 4 doors in my house along with my gun safe. When I asked the deputy if he was planning on taking fingerprints he replied "there are too many CSI shows on TV nowadays. Nobody leaves fingerprints anymore." When I pressed him and insisted, he went out to his trunk to look and said that he "must have left his fingerprint kit at the station". He then left and I never heard another word from them.
I was told that he would check the pawn shops in the area. For the next 6 weeks, I went every Saturday to every pawn shop and gun shop within 50 miles and gave them pictures and descriptionsof the guns and told them to be on the lookout for a deputy asking about them. Never once did anyone come in asking about the guns describe. It was less than a month later that I had my CHP in hand.

It wasn't two weeks later that someone was trying to kick down my back door screaming for some lady that I'd never heard of. When I confronted him, he was sweating profusely, shaking, as white as a sheet and his pupils were completely dilated. I had to actually draw a my .40 pistol to get his attention. This guy lives not 3 miles from my home and I see him almost daily. He had his two small children in the truck with him and I had to threaten to shoot him before he left. But not before spewing all sorts of obscenities at my own children. We have never had contact again.

Less than one year later and I got stopped in a traffic stop less than 3 miles from my home. Actually it was directly in front of the former gentleman's house. The state police officer that stopped me asked for ID. I displayed my license and CHP. He asked me if I was carrying and I told him that I was. He asked that I keep it in view at all times and keep my hands clear of it. No problem. He then asked if he could look in the back of my jeep. I didn't have a problem with it and opened it up and let him see the back and the back seat. I asked him what this was about and he showed me a picture of a guy and asked if I recognized him. I told him that I did. Less than a month before, I had caught the guy in the picture trespassing on my dock on the piece of river front that I own. When asked to leave, he got beligerant (he was profusely drunk anyway), and he and his friends started threatening me and my oldest son who happened to be with me. I actually had to draw the weapon on him also when he started towards me.

It turns out that this guy had been displayed on America's Most Wanted and they had tried to apprehend him two houses down from mine. He was a convicted sex offender from Pennsylvania and had run to my town to escape new charges of child molestation and was on the run.

I realize that this is rather long and detailed. However, I wanted to make a point that you are ABSOLUTELY correct. People that walk around with guns on their hips do, indeed, have something wrong in their lives. The problem is that people that don't walk around with guns on their hips have something wrong in their lives as well. They just choose not to do anything about it until it is sometimes too late.

I can't say that I agree with you as much on your choice to support VA Tech in their unconstitutional decision not to allow law abiding students the basic right of self defense. But that is an email for a different day. . .

Signature deleted

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Very good letter riegnman....but your trying to be civil to an idiot. He should be harassed, abused, insulted and humiliated but trying to reason with him is like trying to housebreak a slug.

Neplusultra

imported post

jegoodin wrote:
Bravo riegnman
I've had my CHP for three years now and have used my gun twice. The first was patroling my warehouse area where there'd been a series of breakins and confronted a group of four young men at night sitting in a vehicle, I was OCing. I told them what was going on and that I and some others were out looking for this guys. No more breakins after that. The second time was when I hit a deer out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. It's back was broken and could only move it's front legs so I put it down. If I hadn't had my gun with me I would have had to leave it there to suffer and die.

Forgot to mention excellent letter :)

riegnman

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Very good letter riegnman....but your trying to be civil to an idiot. He should be harassed, abused, insulted and humiliated but trying to reason with him is like trying to housebreak a slug.
I would normally agree with you. However I believe in "killing them with kindness" Being uncivil only gives them something easy that they can grab onto. If you are civil, they don't have that easy out and Lord knows that they don't have enough combined brainpower to come up with a decent argument on their own.:celebrate

bayboy42

imported post

riegnman wrote:
Oct. 4th, 2007- I received a frantic call from my wife around 3:00pm stating that she had just come home with my 3 young sons to find that the back door had been kicked in. During the course of our conversation, she said that she heard someone upstairs. I immediately told her to get the boys and get out of the house. She went to a friends house and I left work to head home, (a 55 minute drive).

I arrived home and to my good fortune happened to have a single shot .410 shotgun and some ammo in my outdoor building because my oldest son and I had gone squirrel hunting the previous morning. I went into the house with the shotgun and shells to clear the house of any remaining danger and noticed that the intruders had stolen all of my guns and ammo except for one shotgun that remained in the gun safe. My wife had been in the house with armed intruders with my three small children. After clearing the house, I called 911 at 4:30pm. At 6:30pm, I called 911 back and was told that they had not dispatched anyone yet. Apparently I called right at the shift change and had gotten "lost in the shuffle". At 7:30pm, a Washington County, VA deputy pulled up in my driveway, apologized for taking so long and took about 4 pictures of the crime scene.
Maybe next time tell your wife to get ouf the house and call 911. Probably get a slightly faster response to robbery in progress then a robbery that occured approximatley x hours ago. Just a thought....other then that, good letter.

Neplusultra

imported post

riegnman wrote:
peter nap wrote:
I would normally agree with you. However I believe in "killing them with kindness" Being uncivil only gives them something easy that they can grab onto. If you are civil, they don't have that easy out and Lord knows that they don't have enough combined brainpower to come up with a decent argument on their own.:celebrate
I agree with both of you! No reason you can't be civil and give them a thumping they'll remember. In fact it might even be more embarassing since as rie puts it they have nothing else to grab onto to make a retort. I think some of the most effective rebukes I've given were done very calmly, respectfully and with few words. I mean I could tell you about them, they were REAL ZINGERS :^)! They were left unable to say anything, oh, those were the days. What's the saying? Something like the knife goes in deeper when you (something nicely). Or the Scripture that says if your enemy is hungry give him something to eat, etc, and you will heap burning coals on his head.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Video of Champps dinner in honor of Senator Richard "Banjo" Saslaw
now online!

As you might recall, Fairfax County Senator Saslaw told the Virginia
Senate that anyone who dared to open carry in a NoVA restaurant that
is licensed to serve alcoholic beverages would be asked to leave.

We knew that was baloney and had an AP reporter document a series of
luncheons and a dinner in NoVA, with VCDL members carrying openly as
required by law.

The video of the VCDL "Saslaw" dinner at Champps restaurant in
northern Virginia is now on the VCDL web site! Thanks to VCDL member
Matt Gottshalk for producing and editing the video - a professional
job as usual.

In the video you'll see the general manager of Champps speaking
first, followed by me, followed by Delegate Dick Black. Delegate
Black spoke on behalf of Senator Ken Cuccinelli, who had a prior
speaking engagement that evening.

You will also see Board member Bruce Jackson explaining briefly to
other guests in the restaurant why we were there that night, followed
by all the VCDL members raising their hands to indicate that they were
lawfully armed.

Here is the link:

http://www.vcdl.org/static/index.html#CHAMPPS

Bulldog1967

imported post

DoubleR wrote:
Thanks for the post, Ed. Great video that Matt put together. I think that Carey Vereen could have a future in politics, too!

I had fun doing the video.

Mr. Vereen was talking to me as I was setting up outside. He mentioned tha he has attended Storm Mountain for tactical training and is a HUGE CCW/OC supporter.
I will be spending A LOT more money at Champps in Reston! :celebrate

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
I actually own a banjo. Perhaps I'll open carry it along with my Sig next time we go to the Statehouse.
If you can play, send that in to Leadership at vcdl.org so it will filter down to the right person. I believe it was being considered the last time.

Neplusultra

imported post

pourshot wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
I actually own a banjo. Perhaps I'll open carry it along with my Sig next time we go to the Statehouse.
If you can play, send that in to Leadership at vcdl.org so it will filter down to the right person. I believe it was being considered the last time.
THAT, would be a laugh riot. Dueling banjos in front of his office! Everyone could wear dirty overalls with black wax over a few teeth and a stalk of wheat sticking out of their mouth! Singing Dixie! CALL THE NEWS CHANNELS!!!