• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in cold weather

cappilot06

imported post

I am new to the OC in Delaware. Haven't done it as of yet, but want to. It's summer now, so not a big issue with accidentally concealing. What does everyone do in the winter when any LEO could claim your concealing for having a coat or jacket on?

Also, if carrying openly in public do you immediately take off the holster and place on the seat when getting in your car? Or does simply having a non-cealed weapon on your person while in the car suffice?

Thank for any input you can give me.

Potential new OC'r.

stephpd

imported post

I, personnelly, don't open carry, but they guys aroung here seem to wear a short coat that can't cover the gun. And you have to take the gun out of the holster when in a car. On the passenger seat or dashboard is the general concensus. On the console between the seats could still be considered concealed from PLAIN view.

I carry concealed with the license and it's about the opposite. As weather gets warmer you have to get more creative in where to hide a gun. Winter is easy and summer for me in not much more then a t-shirt and shorts. I've found the smartcarry able to conceal in nothing but shorts.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.:lol:

Headfirst

imported post

stephpd wrote:
I, personnelly, don't open carry, but they guys aroung here seem to wear a short coat that can't cover the gun. And you have to take the gun out of the holster when in a car. On the passenger seat or dashboard is the general concensus. On the console between the seats could still be considered concealed from PLAIN view.

I carry concealed with the license and it's about the opposite. As weather gets warmer you have to get more creative in where to hide a gun. Winter is easy and summer for me in not much more then a t-shirt and shorts. I've found the smartcarry able to conceal in nothing but shorts.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.:lol:

Hi, quick q? for ya Stephpd. Although you are permitted CCDW, you are still allowed to OC correct? Sorry if it sounds silly, it's all new to me.
If I am reading things right on this board, I can OC in De. till the paperwork gets processed, then I have choice, yea?

TIA,
Head

LordJim

imported post

I can OC in De. till the paperwork gets processed, then I have choice, yea?

Correct. The CC permit simply grants you the option to carry concealed, there's no law that says that you have to.

-
Jim

stephpd

imported post

LordJim wrote:
I can OC in De. till the paperwork gets processed, then I have choice, yea?

Correct. The CC permit simply grants you the option to carry concealed, there's no law that says that you have to.

-
Jim
Open carry is the only part of the Second Amendment that is a states protected RIGHT.

Concealed carry is the states permission and you need to show good cause.

Purchase of most guns these days is so regulated. Forms filled out, background checks. Records kept.

When I joined the military there was less 'looking' into what type of person you are.

Use to shoot skeet with a shotgun unsupervised in the back yard. Walk down to the localhardware store and just buy the shells.
Tell parents what you were going to do. they'd say some thing like' Are your chores done?' If so, OK! Use one of the guns that was in the closet

We weren't very good, but nobody would get hurt. Didn't get much of an allowance but we paid for it out our own pockets.

The oldest person there might be only 12 or 13! Youngest would be around 6 or 7. Youngest would get the single shot .410

Clean the guns when done and put them away.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

cappilot06 wrote:
....What does everyone do in the winter when any LEO could claim your concealing for having a coat or jacket on?

Also, if carrying openly in public do you immediately take off the holster and place on the seat when getting in your car? Or does simply having a non-cealed weapon on your person while in the car suffice?

Hiya cappilot06!

I OC'dthis pastwinter. All I do is tuck my jacket behind/around my holster, then pull the remaining parts down. It's comfortable and became second-nature.I did this many times in public, and my gun was easily in the open at all times.

As for getting into my car, I leave the holster on (I don't take it off). Once I'm seated, I just unholster my gun and put it on the seat/dash before I put my seatbelt on. Then, after getting to my destination, I unbuckle the seatbelt and reholster the gun before stepping out of the car.

If you're"handling" the gun outside of your car, it could be considered brandishing. So, I do all my "movements" safely insidethe vehicle.