• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Support our troops

toirtapper

imported post

Hello all. I am new to this whole forum thing.

I have a brother serving in the Army overseas and I wanted to show and share my support for him and all of our troops.

With this said, here is what I found:

I recently came across a site that allows you to send letters to our troops, overseas, or wherever they may be, for free. Thats right. FREE. For the entire month of May, they will allow military personnel and their families to send these letters, free. The folks at www.iwiletter.com are the ones providing this awesome service...lets take advantage of it!

Also, for military personel, enter for a chance to win a free year of iwiLetter.com services by clicking on the banner at the top of the iWiLetter.com site.

***I have used this service and it works!***

Just scroll down on the main page under 'iWiLetter Features'

toirtapper

imported post

I am not trying to spam anything, I am merely passing along a FREE service for everyone to use and it is only available for the month of May. You are more than welcome not to use it, I merely stated it for those who ARE interested.

imperialism2024

imported post

[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"]From http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html

"Welcome to opencarry.org. We are a free discussion forum dedicated to helping people understand the shifting landscape of open carry laws in the US. All are welcome but we do have a few rules.

1) Since we are a site dedicated to open carry, freedom, liberty, firearms and gun rights, all posts should relate in some way to one of these topics.

2) Keep the profanity to a minimum. While an expletive may be the only way to convey the depth of anger / surprise or frustration you are trying to express, please do not use them gratuitously.

3) Links to spam/membership sites not related directly to firearms are NOT allowed under any circumstances!

4) While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks based upon race, religion or sex.

5) We reserve the right to remove posting for any reason, at our sole discretion."
[line]
I'd like to emphasize "
[/font][font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"]1) Since we are a site dedicated to open carry, freedom, liberty, firearms and gun rights, all posts should relate in some way to one of these topics." Does this fit into it? No, not really. Not to mention that you're linking to a for-profit site that is exploiting the tragedy of the occupation of Iraq and the American soldiers and their families caught up in it, in order to boost their recognition. If you're here to discuss open carry, then welcome! If not... well, read around a bit and become interested in it!
[/font]

Gunslinger

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]From http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html

[line]
I'd like to emphasize "
[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1) Since we are a site dedicated to open carry, freedom, liberty, firearms and gun rights, all posts should relate in some way to one of these topics." Does this fit into it? No, not really. Not to mention that you're linking to a for-profit site that is exploiting the tragedy of the occupation of Iraq and the American soldiers and their families caught up in it, in order to boost their recognition. If you're here to discuss open carry, then welcome! If not... well, read around a bit and become interested in it!
[/font]
And that relates to open carry how? That overthrowing tyranny and attempting to create freedom for people who have never had it is a "tragedy" is your opion and an incorrect one. We "lost" Vietnam, although we never lost a major battle, because people saw our attempt at defending freedom, albeit far from perfect, at the same time far better than what happened after Eagle Pull, as a "tragedy." Sorry, but I had a bellyful of that term then when I served and it hasn't improved with age.

tarzan1888

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]From http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html

[line]

I'd like to emphasize "
[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1) Since we are a site dedicated to open carry, freedom, liberty, firearms and gun rights, all posts should relate in some way to one of these topics." Does this fit into it? No, not really. Not to mention that you're linking to a for-profit site that is exploiting the tragedy of the occupation of Iraq and the American soldiers and their families caught up in it, in order to boost their recognition. If you're here to discuss open carry, then welcome! If not... well, read around a bit and become interested in it!
[/font]
And that relates to open carry how? That overthrowing tyranny and attempting to create freedom for people who have never had it is a "tragedy" is your opion and an incorrect one. We "lost" Vietnam, although we never lost a major battle, because people saw our attempt at defending freedom, albeit far from perfect, at the same time far better than what happened after Eagle Pull, as a "tragedy." Sorry, but I had a bellyful of that term then when I served and it hasn't improved with age.

You Sir, are DEAD on.

You have to remember that imperialism2024 is a libertarian. I agree with him on most of his opinions as related to open carry, firearms and gun rights, but am vastly in opposition to his basic political views.

I agreed with everything he posted up until his tirade on this war of liberation.

He would do well to listen to his own council and not interject his off topic views when he is censoring others.

Tarzan

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]

Gunslinger

imported post

To stay on topic, I plan on carrying my Hi-Power tomorrow while looking to buy a Colt Commander, but probably concealed, for the most part.

On criticizing our troops, even by reference, if you have been in combat or liable to be, for our country, even if I disagree with every word you say, I'll listen with respect. If you haven't, I don't GAS what you have to say. And libertarians have always seemed to me to have no idea of what their beliefs were. Talk to three, get three different takes on the same principle. Patriot, on the other hand, is quite clear.

imperialism2024

imported post

I'll make one attempt to defend what I said previously. It probably won't change anyone's mind, but hopefully it can help clarify some things.

There are bases on which I oppose the current war in Iraq, as well as further military action in the area. There's an ideological and a practical argument. First, it is not our place to "liberate" peoples we feel are in need of liberating. Where in the Constitution does it say the government has the right to "spread freedom" and "democracy"? Where does it even mention "democracy" in the Constitution? Ah, yes, nowhere. And why start with Iraq? Iraq was a fairly non-threatening country that wasn't all that close to the top of the list of countries that abused human rights the most. If the US government is so good-intentioned and wanting to liberate people, they'd start with China where they could help more than billion people. But wait... they own us. Iraq was (what we thought was) an easy target. But I digress. Just like how I don't support social welfare programs, I don't support the international version of social welfare, and that about puts it in the simplist way.

Then there's the question of what version of "freedom" we're spreading. If you think America is a free country, try walking on a plane with a bottle of water. Try buying a machine gun in a face-to-face transaction. Try smoking marijuana. We're spreading Western-ism, not freedom, which I'm not entirely sure is good for the United States, let alone any other country. And that brings me to practical issues...

Unfortunately, the neo-con theory on why terrorism exists is because evil people who haven't found Jesus hate America for no reason. Therefore, their solution is to kill the evil people and force Christian American-ism down the throats of the people they can't kill. The truth is that terrorism exists because people resort to extreme means when their ways of life are being destroyed. For the past, what, 50 years? 70 years? ...the United States has been playing sides in Southern Asia through giving financial aid, weapons, training, and even military force to the countries and factions we felt would be advantageous to be put in a position of power. Yet "changing regimes" for so many decades has only resulted in more people hating America, and have invited more terrorist attacks. The people in Iraq who voice opposition to the US troop presence are typically branded as "extremists", "Muslims", and/or "ungrateful". Maybe they have a legitimate reason to be upset. After all, don't we, as freedom-loving Americans, get pissed off at the idea of the United Nations' sending "election observers" to oversee our elections? Or at any other action of the United Nations that attempts to "improve conditions" in America? I get a feeling that if the United Nations one day woke up and got an idea of what real freedom is, and decided to invade America in order to "liberate" us to a condition described in our Constitution, many of the people crying to liberate other countries might take a different view when the United States is the one being liberated. People don't like other people telling them what to do, to summarize this point, and when the former get pissed off, terrorism happens.

I don't fall into the blind patriotism that is modern America. I like the American people, even though I don't like the current government, and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. But I don't confuse that with some idea that the United States holds some position of world leadership. Yes, we're a great country (or once was...), but that doesn't mean we get to act as world policemen. Especially when that position is disadvantageous to the American people... you know, by inviting terrorism that then invites totalitarian domestic policy.

Anyhow, I respect soliders and retired soldiers who feel that they were and are protecting America and our freedom. Even if I don't agree with the veracity of that statement right now. But believe it or not, soldiers are perhaps the most exploited group of people in the United States. "It's for the soliders" is the new "it's for safety". Whether its for national unity, or to defend one's own military service, or to define patriotic-sounding values, or to win elections, it's wrong. Soldiers either know the job for which they've signed up, and understand the risk and consequences, or they don't know the job and were misled by military recruiters. I respect the former, but I don't treat them as martyrs. I respect soldiers the same way that I respect LEOs. I might not agree with most of the mission given to them by the government, but I respect their intentions.

That brings me to this slew of "thank the soldiers" threads. The closest connection I can make, if I try, is that soldiers carry guns in combat, and thus that relates to the auxilliary topic of guns, which is secondary to the primary topic of open carry and our rights. Explain how thanking our soldiers advances our freedoms in this country, without using the neo-con straw man soundbytes, and I'll consider it. Not that it means much because, as I said, "it's for the soldiers" and therefore no one can be against it.

Now, I guess it's time to ad hominem me into oblivion... :uhoh:

tarzan1888

imported post

You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

I knew he couldn't take advice.:banghead:

Tarzan

thx997303

imported post

This is posted in general discussion, which IF I remember right is the place for slightly off topic subjects. Oh here it is straight from the front
"Use this area for discussions that are somewhat off-topic or that do not fit anywhere else"
So toritapper isperfectly right in their decision to post it here. Personally as a member of the armed forces, I feel a little off put by your comments imperialism.

Gunslinger

imported post

"For those who fought for it, freedom, (even for libertarians--whatever that means) has a flavor that the protected will never taste."

"The price of freedom is written on the Wall."

Maybe my neo-conservative, Vietnam veteran slogans don't measure up to the polemical masturbation that self acknowledged "libertarians" espouse, but to simple folks like me, they make all the sense needed. I say again: if you were in combat for this country, or liable to have been, you have standing to say whatever you like with respect to our military--past and present. If not, and all you have done is let others defend your rights, limited though you may think they are, your opinion is without value to me. No ad hominem, simply a statement of my views, which, under criteria supra, I feel I have a right to state without equivocation.

tarzan1888

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
"For those who fought for it, freedom, (even for libertarians--whatever that means) has a flavor that the protected will never taste."

"The price of freedom is written on the Wall."

Maybe my neo-conservative, Vietnam veteran slogans don't measure up to the polemical masturbation that self acknowledged "libertarians" espouse, but to simple folks like me, they make all the sense needed. I say again: if you were in combat for this country, or liable to have been, you have standing to say whatever you like with respect to our military--past and present. If not, and all you have done is let others defend your rights, limited though you may think they are, your opinion is without value to me. No ad hominem, simply a statement of my views, which, under criteria supra, I feel I have a right to state without equivocation.

I salute you Sir.

Tarzan

Attachments

• Marines.bmp
    11 KB · Views: 97