• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Magazines

vtwjmsw

imported post

What is the most a person can have in a clip in the state of Michigan??

Sheldon

imported post

To the best of my knowledge there is no limit on Mag Cap N Mi. So I guess it would be what ever you can comfortably carry. Now Ca is a different story.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

vtwjmsw wrote:
What is the most a person can have in a clip in the state of Michigan??
As many as it will hold. Federal law 18USC Sec 922 effective September 30, 1994which prohibited an individual from having a firearm with a clip (Magazine) holding over 10 rounds, was repealed effective September 1, 2004. :)

LEO 229

imported post

Is there ANY state that limits the number of magazines or total rounds you can carry?

LEO 229

imported post

True.... But there are more exemptions besides someone having a CC permit.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to in the performance of their lawful duties,

• law-enforcement officers,
  • licensed security guards,
  • military personnel
or

• any person having a valid concealed handgun permit
  • to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting
  • lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest.
Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

So I still wonder about total rounds combined being banned.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
True.... But there are more exemptions besides someone having a CC permit.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to in the performance of their lawful duties,

• law-enforcement officers,
  • licensed security guards,
  • military personnel
or

• any person having a valid concealed handgun permit
  • to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting
  • lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest.
Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

So I still wonder about total rounds combined being banned.

Slightly off Topic;

In Michigan, even with a CPL, in terms of hunting with a pistol, the DNR may control the number of rounds (maximum) the pistol can hold (magazine + chamber=9rds), if I remember correctly...I'd have to look it up.

...Just thought I'd throw that in here....

SpringerXDacp

imported post

AG Opinion 6406, in pertanant part;

The Game Law of 1929, Sec. 10(1)(d); MCL 312.10(1)(d); MSA 13.1339(1)(d), has for many years prohibited hunters during the deer season in region 3 (essentially the southern portion of the lower peninsula) from utilizing any firearm other than "a shotgun, flintlock, or percussion cap muzzle-loading rifle .44 caliber or larger loaded with black powder and patched round ball." This provision was amended by 1985 PA 182, effective March 31, 1986, and now permits the use of muzzle-loading handguns as well as certain repeating pistols or revolvers during the deer season in region 3:

"pursuant to safety regulations issued by the department of natural resources as to the allowable size and caliber of handguns to be used in region 3, skill level of the hunter using a handgun in region 3, and such other safety requirements as the department deems appropriate and relevant to region 3...."

On March 18, 1986, the Director of the Department of Natural Resources issued an order restricting the type of handguns which may be used in hunting deer in region 3 to the following:

"Repeating centerfire pistol or revolver loaded with straight walled cartridges, .35 caliber or larger, with a maximum of 9 shot capacity of barrel and magazine, or a repeating black powder revolver .44 caliber or larger."

In addition, the order requires that:

"Those born on or after January 1, 1960 must have in possession a certificate of successful completion of a hunter safety course issued by this state, another state, or another country."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, another AG Opinion which admits OC is legit in Michigan.

MCL 750.227(2); MSA 28.424(2), prohibits a person from carrying a pistol "concealed on or about his or her person ... without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law...." Thus, assuming a hunter has not obtained a license to carry a concealed weapon, he or she may carry the pistol while hunting only if the weapon is not concealed and is at all times kept in plain view. Carrying a pistol in a holster belt, in plain view on the outside of the hunter's clothing, is permissible, even without a concealed weapons license, and does not constitute the carrying of a concealed weapon. OAG, 1926-1928, p 349 (April 22, 1927); OAG, 1945-1946, No O-3158, p 237 (February 14, 1945). A hunter may not, however, carry a pistol under his or her coat or otherwise concealed from view unless he or she is in possession of a valid concealed weapons license, even though the sole motive for such concealment may be to protect the weapon from bad weather. To do so would constitute a violation of MCL 750.227(2); MSA 28.424(2), and would, thus, be punishable as a felony.

http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/1980s/op06406.htm

Edit To Add: Yeah, I know, 3158 has been around awhile, but, it's still in the books. It's just good to know it's part of another opinion that's all....