• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC discussion at work

expvideo

imported post

I normally don't talk about the fact that I carry a CCW, but the topic came up at work. I was working at the office with 7 other people, when one of the guys asked when I stopped riding the bus to work. I told him that I never did. He asked me why he saw me walking to work every day. I told him that I park in another companies parking lot. He wanted to know why, and wouldn't accept "It's a long story" as an answer. So I said that when I'm not at work I carry a handgun, and it's against our company policy to leave it locked in my car. Since my newly purchased POS pickup doesn't lock, I have been leaving it at home, so I park in the company lot.

This sparked a great discussion. One of the people on the team mentioned that he didn't see why anyone would need a gun. He admittedly declared that there were some dangerous areas in Kirkland and Seattle that he goes to, but said that if you mind your own business, you'll never need a gun. I told him that I disagreed and that spending time in the same areas and trying to mind my own business, I had been forced into drawing a weapon to prevent serious injury or death more than once. He didn't seem to phased by my arguement, so I told him that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away, and while I would rather that they deal with the situation, I like knowing that I can take responsibility for my own safety if necessary. He gave me kind of an "agree to disagree" look, acknowledging my arguement as legitimate but still believing that he was correct.

The positive side of this is that everyone else on the team thought that my carrying a gun (and reasons for carrying) were very reasonable. Two of the people on the team suggested that they would like to go shooting sometime, and one of the girls said that she was trying to convince her father to give her a pistol.

Overall, the conversation was much more positive than I had expected. Almost everyone on the team seemed very receptive to the idea of legally carrying firearms.

ALDE

imported post

Several months ago at my work I was sitting at the lunch table with 6 other people. We never talk guns and none of them knew I was a gun person. Somehow the topic came up and it turns out that 4 of the 6 plus me have a CPL. I was shocked to say the least. You just never know.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Better than mine...

I contacted corporate (Best Buy) HR since it can be a sensitive topic, they replied that when I'm not on the clock, I'm a customer, and afforded the same liberties as everyone else. Corporate firearms policy is to go by the law of the state. I talked to the GM, she echoed, and said I can carry in the store, as long as it's within the law.

I come in open carrying a few days later, and this girl that I've had problems with in the past (stuck up, opinionated, 'sensitive', etc) sees me, starts yelling at me from my strong side, pointing (almost touching) my firearm, practically circling it, like a vulture waiting for something to die... 'WHATS THIS? NO, UH UH, YOU CAN'T DO THAT, NO, I'M TELLING, YOU CAN'T DO THIS HERE'.. etc.

HR already approved, GM already approved, Manager on duty says it's fine, LP says it's fine, it's pretty much a non-issue...... Or so I thought...

I get pulled into the GM's office about a week later, saying that I 'scared' someone, and that even though it's company policy that as a customer I'm OK, it'd be better that I didn't wear it when I was in the store, because people 'know me'..... I got lectured on how my 'rights' don't supercede the collective wellbeing of the store, and I could bring morale down or have people think I'm a psycho and be uncomfortable to work with. She was saying how she has to look out for all the employees, and she can't tell me not to do it, but that she didn't want a negative work environment. Implying, of course, that if I carried, I'd be fired.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Get it in writing from Corporate, then OC and let them fire you. Easy way to own stock in the company.

Be certain to record the conversation when they terminate you, 2 party notice by the way as it will be a private conversation.

Top Gun

imported post

yeah, only last weekend i was at a bar with a bunch of co-workers (including the owner), and we were all just b/s'ing and somehow the topic of carrying came up. the crazy part was that the owner of our business told me..."i would be totally fine if you said that you were CC'ing at work, as long as you told me you were going to to do". i was SHOCKED...He later went on to say he would never let just anyone in our workplace and that i was one of a hand full of people he'd actually be ok with doing that...but man....now i can carry everywhere....AWESOME!

Mainsail

imported post

I don’t think my immediate supervisor would mind if I were to OC to work, but everyone above (and below) him would have a level 5official conniption. Besides that, I think there’s something in my core doc that allows them to rip off my testicles with vice-grips if I do, and I don’t want to risk that.

Agent 47

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Better than mine...

I contacted corporate (Best Buy) HR since it can be a sensitive topic, they replied that when I'm not on the clock, I'm a customer, and afforded the same liberties as everyone else. Corporate firearms policy is to go by the law of the state. I talked to the GM, she echoed, and said I can carry in the store, as long as it's within the law.
Wait, You work at Best Buy and their corporate policy is to allow customers to carry within the parameters of the law? I need to get a copy of that as I have been kicked out of two different Best Buy stores for carrying.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

As I have stated before my work is very anti-gun but I haven’t given up. The corporate policy change is still in the works. I’ve gotten them to see my point and even some security flaws that need to be fixed.
I have found that there are many others that are not anti-gun and willing to listen to what I have to say. I've passed out quite a few pamphlets to folks and had open discussions on the subject. I’ve found over 15 folks with CPL’s, of those 15 one guy that shoots competitively for H&K, one woman who is a NRA handgun instructor that teaches primarily women.

Bear 45/70

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Better than mine...

I come in open carrying a few days later, and this girl that I've had problems with in the past (stuck up, opinionated, 'sensitive', etc) sees me, starts yelling at me from my strong side, pointing (almost touching) my firearm, practically circling it, like a vulture waiting for something to die... 'WHATS THIS? NO, UH UH, YOU CAN'T DO THAT, NO, I'M TELLING, YOU CAN'T DO THIS HERE'.. etc.

HR already approved, GM already approved, Manager on duty says it's fine, LP says it's fine, it's pretty much a non-issue...... Or so I thought...

I get pulled into the GM's office about a week later, saying that I 'scared' someone, and that even though it's company policy that as a customer I'm OK, it'd be better that I didn't wear it when I was in the store, because people 'know me'..... I got lectured on how my 'rights' don't supercede the collective wellbeing of the store, and I could bring morale down or have people think I'm a psycho and be uncomfortable to work with. She was saying how she has to look out for all the employees, and she can't tell me not to do it, but that she didn't want a negative work environment. Implying, of course, that if I carried, I'd be fired.
Contact the GM's boss and tell him or her what the GMsaid. They can't have it both ways. Threatening to fire you is illegal in this state for doing something withinstore policy and the law.

expvideo

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Better than mine...

Contact the GM's boss and tell him or her what the GMsaid. They can't have it both ways. Threatening to fire you is illegal in this state for doing something withinstore policy and the law.
Or make the point thatSHE is the bigger problem to everyone else's safety and morale, yelling at customers about excercising thier rights. I'm sure there's something in the policy about that.

Tomahawk

imported post

As I've stated before, I try to stay low-key at work. I think it's more professional to seperate my activism and political views from my work, and it avoids problems.

That said, if someone presses me, I'll discuss carrying, trying to stick to facts, and avoiding my own habits. If someone directly asks me if I own or carry, I will say maybe or yes depending on who's asking. But I usually will eavesdrop rather than jumping into a conversation, in order to avoid trouble. I don't want my poilitics to interfere with otherwise good working relationships that I need to do my job, and I want to stay off of HR's radar.

The basic idea is to build up an image of a competent and reliable engineer first, since that's the impression I want to give. If someone later becomes a closer friend of course I'll open up more, but I don't want someone's first impression to be "there goes that gun activist". I think it's more productive to put forth the idea that people who believe in self-defense are normal people, who are all around us and remain discrete. Challenge their stereotypes and all.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
I'd point out that if she was yelling or using a loud tone that others could hear then she in fact was causing the issue. Kind of like yelling fire in a crowed room. Its called "Endangering Behavior."

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Actually they can have it both ways. In Washington State you work at the will of the employer. Witha fewexceptionsdefined by law you can be fired for no reason at all. So be careful here. You have to make sure of a written policy and be fired in breach of that policy. If you are fired for any other reason no matter how lame you could be in a tough position. If there is no written policy, employees handbook etc. then you have littleor no protection.

Bear 45/70

imported post

irfner wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Actually they can have it both ways. In Washington State you work at the will of the employer. Witha fewexceptionsdefined by law you can be fired for no reason at all. So be careful here. You have to make sure of a written policy and be fired in breach of that policy. If you are fired for any other reason no matter how lame you could be in a tough position. If there is no written policy, employees handbook etc. then you have littleor no protection.
Local managers can not over ride corporate policy. FYI, in Washington there is no fault firing. "They can say you are fired! Get out!" They don't have to tell yopu why even.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

"Local managers can not over ride corporate policy."

Unless they do and get away with it. {shrug}

Corporate policy is not the law. They can't be prosecuted or anything, they can only be reprimanded and/or fired. And corporate may not be willing to do either of those things over one person's complaint. They (corporations) arenot required to do anything, because they don't need your business ("you" specifically as an individual.)

Some people on this board make a hell of a lot of self-assured, positive, assertive statements that they can't possibly back up.

Bear 45/70

imported post

thebastidge wrote:
"Local managers can not over ride corporate policy."

Unless they do and get away with it. {shrug}

Corporate policy is not the law. They can't be prosecuted or anything, they can only be reprimanded and/or fired. And corporate may not be willing to do either of those things over one person's complaint. They (corporations) arenot required to do anything, because they don't need your business ("you" specifically as an individual.)

Some people on this board make a hell of a lot of self-assured, positive, assertive statements that they can't possibly back up.
The lawsuit for discrimination will cost them way more than the manger could make in 5 years. If it is corp. policy then it applies to everyone or you are discriminating and that is illegal and may also violate employment laws as well.

expvideo

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Local managers can not over ride corporate policy. FYI, in Washington there is no fault firing. "They can say you are fired! Get out!" They don't have to tell yopu why even.
Actually, I was fired once because I complained to the district manager about the manager. The manager found out about it and I was fired. The guy was a jerk who liked to leave for "happy hour" and come back drunk, harrassing customers.

sccrref

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Better than mine...

Wait, You work at Best Buy and their corporate policy is to allow customers to carry within the parameters of the law? I need to get a copy of that as I have been kicked out of two different Best Buy stores for carrying.
Come on down to Virgina. I have never had a problem in any of the stores in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area.

DrewGunner

imported post

ICC at work, IWB or ankle and keep to myself about it. A couple months ago I walk up to the front of the office to get a package that just arrived, I bend over to open it and flip up my pocket knife.

A very concerned "Oh my, do you always carry that?!", came from the secretary.

Thinking oh shit, my gun became exposedwhenI bent over.I turn around and she's looking at my pocket knife. I look at her and then back at my knife with a very confused look on my face, ''ummm.. only when I need to open boxes...?".

"Oh, well it looks dangerous."

"Thats why I carry it." Smile and walk away, thinking to myself, I wonder how she'd feel about the loaded 9mm under my shirt.