• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

May Sales Tax Holiday: Hurricane and Emergency Preparedness Equipment

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Slightly OT because no guns are on the list of qualifying items, but they should be!
H/T http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867842

http://www.tax.virginia.gov/site.cfm?alias=HurricanePreparednessEquipmentHoliday
May Sales Tax Holiday: Hurricane and Emergency Preparedness Equipment When: Sunday, May 25, 2008 through Saturday, May 31, 2008
What's Exempt: During this seven-day period, purchases of certain supplies and equipment need for hurricane preparedness will be exempt from sales tax. Retailers may also choose to absorb the tax on other items during the holiday period, but they are responsible for paying the tax on those items to the Department of Taxation.
Other Information:
Frequently asked questions about the Hurricane Preparedness Holiday will be posted soon. Please check back for updates!
Sales Price of $60 or less
The following hurricane preparedness items may be purchased exempt of the Retail Sales and Use Tax during the “Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday,” provided that such items have a selling price of $60 or less per item.

• Artificial ice, blue ice, ice packs and reusable ice
• Batteries (excluding automobile or boat batteries), including
o AAA cell
o AA cell
o C cell
o D cell
o 6 volt
o 9 volt
o Cell phone batteries
• Any portable self-powered light sources including
o Flashlights
o Lanterns
o Glow sticks
• Tarpaulins, plastic sheeting, plastic drop cloths, and other flexible waterproof sheeting
• Bungee cords, rope
• Ground anchor systems or tie down kits
• Ratchet straps
• Duct tape
• Carbon monoxide detectors
• Smoke detectors
• Fire extinguishers
• Gas or diesel fuel tanks or containers
• Water storage containers
• Nonelectric food storage coolers
• Bottled water
• Manual can openers
• Portable self-powered radios (including self-powered radios with electrical power capability)
• Two-way radios
• Weather band radios and NOAA weather radios
• Storm shutter devices
• Cell phone chargers
• First Aid Kits

Sales Price of $1,000 or less
The following hurricane preparedness items may be purchased exempt of the Retail Sales and Use Tax during the “Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday,” provided that such items have a selling price of $1000 or less per item.
• Portable generators and generator power cords
• Inverters and inverter power cables
The Virginia Department of Taxation’s Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday Guidelines and Rules are available online at www.tax.virginia.gov/salestaxholiday.
For additional information on hurricane preparation, visit the Virginia

ccunning

imported post

longwatch wrote:
The following hurricane preparedness items may be purchased exempt of the Retail Sales and Use Tax during the “Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday,” provided that such items have a selling price of $60 or less per item.

o AAA cell
o AA cell
o C cell
o D cell
o 6 volt
o 9 volt
o Cell phone batteries
o Flashlights
o Lanterns
o Glow sticks
• Tarpaulins, plastic sheeting, plastic drop cloths, and other flexible waterproof sheeting
• Bungee cords, rope
• Ground anchor systems or tie down kits
• Ratchet straps
• Duct tape
• Carbon monoxide detectors
• Smoke detectors
• Fire extinguishers
• Gas or diesel fuel tanks or containers
• Water storage containers
• Nonelectric food storage coolers
• Bottled water
• Manual can openers
Portable self-powered radios (including self-powered radios with electrical power capability)
• Two-way radios
• Weather band radios and NOAA weather radios
• Storm shutter devices
• Cell phone chargers
• First Aid Kits
I have to imagine that "Self Powered" includes battery powered right? I initially read it mean something like those radios with the built in hand crank generators.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ccunning wrote:
longwatch wrote:

o AAA cell
o AA cell
o C cell
o D cell
o 6 volt
o 9 volt
o Cell phone batteries
o Flashlights
o Lanterns
o Glow sticks
I have to imagine that "Self Powered" includes battery powered right? I initially read it mean something like those radios with the built in hand crank generators.
I thought you were going to point out that tac/weapon lights fit this category.

ccunning

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Actually I don't think self powered includes battery powered. I think they mean crank up type radios and flashlights. But I am equally certain that in most stores YMMV.

Regards
It seems odd to me that they would then include batteries in the list though.