• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sidearms Of Michigan State Police 40 Years Ago

Sheldon

imported post

I seem to remember a nice shiny RH flapped holster with the .38 but that was a dress uniform, could it be they had a cross draw rig for ease of access while in the car?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Ford Truck wrote:
Is my memory correct? Didn't the M.S.P. carry .38 Spl. revolvers in a crossdraw flap holster 40 years ago? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't remember 40 years ago, but my uncle was a trooper starting in 1969 and I have his service revolver. Itis a Smith and Wesson Model 66 K frame (combat magnum) stainless .357 mag. I bought it from him when they went to the Sigs. They did have the flap holsters, which I stated to him was not very good for a quick draw. He said don't worry, when they approach a vehicle they have their hand in their pocket wrapped around a Smith and Wesson .38 bodyguard. Some still do this today. So if you are approached by a trooper and his hand is in his pocket, he's ready for trouble.

tarzan1888

imported post

Ford Truck wrote:
Is my memory correct? Didn't the M.S.P. carry .38 Spl. revolvers in a crossdraw flap holster 40 years ago? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am not from Michigan, but the .357 magnum was developed, to a large degree, for use by state police who needed to defeat dad guys in cars. I would suspect that the duty weapon of the Michigan State Police was the .357 Magnum with a 4 inch barrel.

"In the 1930s, it was found to be very effective on steel body armor, and metal-penetrating rounds were once popular in the United States among highway patrol and other police organizations."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_Magnum

Tarzan

Michigander

imported post

If I remember right, every current or retired MSP Trooper I talked to about their guns said they had a S and W .38 or .357 wheelie for backup and/or off duty carry. Seems like a pretty good idea to me. Your last ditch gun shouldn't have even the slightest chance of jamming.

Sheldon

imported post

Michigander wrote:
If I remember right, every current or retired MSP Trooper I talked to about their guns said they had a S and W .38 or .357 wheelie for backup and/or off duty carry. Seems like a pretty good idea to me. Your last ditch gun shouldn't have even the slightest chance of jamming.
that is a downside to todays high cap semi's the police use. Many do not spend the range time and rely on spray and pray. With the wheel gun you had to make your rounds count, and if it went click, no clearance drills you just pulled the trigger again.

Michigander

imported post

A modern revolver can hold 8 rounds in .357 Magnum. You can reload almost instantly with a speed loader. Single stack semi autos like many of us carry only hold one more round. In a lot of ways Ford Truck is right about wheel guns being the real guns. :cool:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
Ford Truck wrote:

I am not from Michigan, but the .357 magnum was developed, to a large degree, for use by state police who needed to defeat dad guys in cars. I would suspect that the duty weapon of the Michigan State Police was the .357 Magnum with a 4 inch barrel.

"In the 1930s, it was found to be very effective on steel body armor, and metal-penetrating rounds were once popular in the United States among highway patrol and other police organizations."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_Magnum

Tarzan
Yes his, now my weaponhas a four inch barrel. It's a dandy weapon. I also have the same model in a six inch barrel for deer hunting. Really very accurate.