Thread: Exposed Barrel

Post imported post

I havea holster that i use with my 3" 1911 that doesnt quite cover the barrel completely (about .5" sticks out at the bottom, it's a galco Fletch). I'm wondering what sort of reaction i would recieve if i used my full size in that holster for OC.

Anyone else ever carry this way with the barrel exposed. For the record the trigger and ejection port are covered and the holster has a snap retention. Its not a yaqui slide or anything.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I like the look of the exposed barrel myself. That's just me

Post imported post

rysa wrote:
    I havea holster that i use with my 3" 1911 that doesnt quite cover the barrel completely (about .5" sticks out at the bottom, it's a galco Fletch). I'm wondering what sort of reaction i would recieve if i used my full size in that holster for OC.

Anyone else ever carry this way with the barrel exposed. For the record the trigger and ejection port are covered and the holster has a snap retention. Its not a yaqui slide or anything.
    I've carried 4" and 5" 1911s in slide holsters and it didn't seem to make anydifference in peoples reactions.

Post imported post

Icarriedmy Kimber Gold combat in a Fletch HR holster but after about a year the finish was starting to wear through around the muzzle. I really liked the look of the front of the gun sticking out but It really sucked to have to get my slide refinished.

Post imported post

thanks guys. Thats what i was lookin for. I love my Kimber warrior but my only fullsize holsters are a serpa and a low ride belt loop one, i prefer the high ride of the fletch.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I have the opposite concern. I eventually would like to get a 1911, preferably a Colt or a Kimber, something shinier than my Glock for OC and I am looking for a nice leather holster that exposes as much of the gun as possible. What's the point of nice rosewood grips and a stainless slide if it's all covered up?

Post imported post

I OC my G23 in a Aker leather holster with a thumb break. About 2 inches of the barrel is exposed. I too like this look better than covering the whole thing.

Post imported post

Never had a problem myself. I carry a Colt Commander; 4" barrel in a minimalist holster (like a Yaqui slide). My opinion, the more exposed the better!