• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck,... what are you going to call it?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Mike wrote: [/b]
Folks - you need to come up with a new term for OC if you are in incorp. areas and carrying unloaded - I don't know what the term might be, but such a term is needfed or people will thnk it's legal to OC in LA!

Creating a new term will not change the perception among gunownersthat unlicenced carry of any kind in California is legal.

I suppose we could define some terms-

California Carry (Type 1)- Lawful carry (unloaded) of a firearm according to PC12025 (f), openly in a belt holster.

California Carry (Type 2)- Lawful carry (unloaded) of a firearm in a locked, fully enclosed case according to PC626.9 and PC12026.1 (exemption from criminal concealed carry).

But I really dont think these terms change anything. Observers are still unaware of the legality of what this activity is, regardless of what we call it. All they see is a firearm on someone's hip if it is carried exposed. Now will we have to explain to them that this isnt 'open carry' because the firearm isnt loaded? This also doesnt put the police any more at ease- even when we tell them "it isnt loaded"...

I just fail to see the point in making this distinction between 'open carry' and whatever you want to callwhat we are practicing.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Somebody over on CalGuns (I forget who - sorry) has been refering to your type 1 as:

UOC - Unloaded Open Carry

TLAs can be pretty catchy. How about this for your type 2:

LCC -Locked Concealed Carry

Quack.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
I just fail to see the point in making this distinction between 'open carry' and whatever you want to callwhat we are practicing.
+1

I'm going rounds via PMs debating with someone over at Calguns about mentioning that I carry unloaded every time I post about it. The other party in the discussion insists that someone might read my post and then open carry without researching the laws.

Anyhow, I figure each person needs to ask questions and do their own research. Especially with our fancy little flyers posted here, it is way easy to get the basic info compared to a few months ago.