• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pima County Public Library

PavePusher

imported post

In the PCPL Customer Code of Conduct

http://www.library.pima.gov/about/policies/customerconduct.pdf

Page 2, item 3 states:

[align=left]"Bringing guns, weapons, knives (other than pocket knives), or other items designed or intended to injure or harm people, unless explicitly permitted by law."[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]ARS 13-3102 states:Misconduct involving weapons; defenses; classification; definitions[/align]

[align=left]A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:[/align]
1. Carrying a deadly weapon without a permit pursuant to section 13-3112 except a pocket knife concealed on his person; or

2. Carrying a deadly weapon without a permit pursuant to section 13-3112 concealed within immediate control of any person in or on a means of transportation

[align=left] 10. Unless specifically authorized by law, entering any public establishment or attending any public event and carrying a deadly weapon on his person after a reasonable request by the operator of the establishment or the sponsor of the event or the sponsor's agent to remove his weapon and place it in the custody of the operator of the establishment or the sponsor of the event for temporary and secure storage of the weapon pursuant to section 13-3102.01[/align]

C. Subsection A, paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 7, 10, 11, 12 and 13 of this section shall not apply to:

4. A person specifically licensed, authorized or permitted pursuant to a statute of this state or of the United States.

F. Subsection A, paragraph 1 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in a belt holster which holster is wholly or partially visible, or carried in a scabbard or case designed for carrying weapons which scabbard or case is wholly or partially visible or carried in luggage. Subsection A, paragraph 2 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in a case, holster, scabbard, pack or luggage that is carried within a means of transportation or within a storage compartment, map pocket, trunk or glove compartment of a means of transportation.

L. For the purposes of this section:

1. "Public establishment" means a structure, vehicle or craft that is owned, leased or operated by this state or a political subdivision of this state.

The Library (or at least the Miller-Golf Links branch) has no signs posted that I am aware of (it's been a while, I'll check that), so I assume I would be legal to OC and, since I have a CWP, I could CC as well, unless requested to check my gun by the staff (assuming they have secure storage).

13-3102.01. Storage of deadly weapons; definitions

A. If an operator of a public establishment or a sponsor of a public event requests that a person carrying a deadly weapon remove the weapon, the operator or sponsor shall provide temporary and secure storage. The storage shall be readily accessible on entry into the establishment or event and allow for the immediate retrieval of the weapon on exit from the establishment or event.

B. This section does not apply to the licensed premises of any public establishment or public event with a license issued pursuant to title 4.

C. The operator of the establishment or the sponsor of the event or the employee of the operator or sponsor or the agent of the sponsor, including a public entity or public employee, is not liable for acts or omissions pursuant to this section unless the operator, sponsor, employee or agent intended to cause injury or was grossly negligent.

D. For the purposes of this section, "public establishment" and "public event" have the same meanings prescribed in section 13-3102.

Any flaws in my reasoning here? I want to be sure I'm not missing something, as this branch is adjacent to the Tucson Police Rincon Substation, so it's a short walk to the holding cells... 8>;)

ATCer

imported post

No problems that I can see. The posting says "unless explicitly preempted by state law"... which is it.

Also, it says "unless spicifically authorized by law... which it is.

Sounds like Pima County has their stuff together.

Dahwg

imported post

Good luck with that, and let us know how it goes. I wonder if any one knows of any case law that will shed better light on this. If they don't have secure storage (I don't recall them having such) then they are pre-empted from keeping you from OC or CC as I read the statute. Then again, I'm not a lawyer, I only played one once in High School.

PavePusher

imported post

Well, I'm probably going to stop in there tomorrow, on my way to the bookstores and possibly a movie. Stay tuned for an after-action report.

Which reminds me, I need to post my O.C. locations and, is anyone interested in an O.C. lunch/dinner/picnic in the Tucson area, or possibly a range session?

Oops, I mean today, didn't realize it's so late... Off to bed.

Dahwg

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
Well, I'm probably going to stop in there tomorrow, on my way to the bookstores and possibly a movie. Stay tuned for an after-action report.

Which reminds me, I need to post my O.C. locations and, is anyone interested in an O.C. lunch/dinner/picnic in the Tucson area, or possibly a range session?

Oops, I mean today, didn't realize it's so late... Off to bed.

I'm definately up for an OCDO meet and greet!

PavePusher

imported post

Just to update, nevergotto the librarylast weekend, I'll do it this weekend unless the aliens kidnap me again. (Well, actually, they just made me do yard work. But that's not nearly as good an excuse. Stupid aliens...)