• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pierce County Parks

Mainsail

imported post

I had written a letter, and received confirmation, that the list of banned items in Pierce Country parks, which included firearms, would be remedied. They had promised to paint over the word ‘Firearms’ until they could make some new signs. I was in the Harbor this afternoon and thought I would check a couple of the Pierce County Parks to see if they had done as they promised.

First stop was Narrows Beach Park. They have indeed covered over the word ‘Firearms’ but it looks like they used masking tape. While not very durable; it seems acceptable.

c06894b7-61b3-4ac6-a43b-540211e1777e.jpg

Close up:

6f203d54-110e-497a-947e-85f3cfec0760.jpg

I drove over to Sunset Park and saw they went with a more robust duct tape for this sign:

50899447-50bf-41ce-a779-39b3fd784d1e.jpg

On my way back from GH North I stopped at the McCormickForest Park. This park belongs to the City of Gig Harbor. I intend to contact them on Monday to inform them that their sign is in violation of the State’s preemption. I’ll look up the correct RCW so as to sound more informed.

ab1ce111-87aa-4107-be59-6113e50007f8.jpg

8ea802d9-a2e6-4eda-9c43-f569cb0498f1.jpg

Mainsail

imported post

I emailed the following to the address on the sign:

Dear Sir or Madam

I visited the McCormick Forest Park today and noticed a sign with a list of banned activities and items. One of the items in particular caught my eye: “Possession of firearms…is prohibited.” This was perplexing, more so since I was lawfully carrying a firearm at the time.

By what authority are firearms prohibited? RCW 9.41.290 specifically illegalizes this type of prohibition.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

I am respectfully requesting that this sign be changed to reflect current Washington State law by removing the prohibition from the sign.

V/R

My Name Here

Only a few moments later I got an out of office reply from a Mark Connelly:

Hi, thanks for your e-mail. I am currently out of the office until late afternoon Monday, May 19. If this is an emergency please contact

Mainsail

imported post

As an aside, I was informed today that I am rude.

I was leaving Wal-Mart with a new kitchen trashcan, a slovenly looking woman approached from my three-o-clock and said:

Slovenly looking woman: “Uh I need to see your receipt sir!”

Me: “No, I’ve already paid for it, thank you.”

SLW: “But I need to see the receipt.”

Me: “Once it’s my property I..… I don’t have to be searched. Thank you!” (I said turning and walking out)

SLW: “How rude!” (Oh the righteous indignation in her voice was precious)

I don’t know, two ‘thank yous’ in a very short conversation doesn’t seem rude to me. I’m sending the sound file to my GF right now; after all, she should know this about me, right?

amlevin

imported post

Mainsail wrote:

I was leaving Wal-Mart with a new kitchen trashcan, a slovenly looking woman approached from my three-o-clock and said:

Me: “Once it’s my property I..… I don’t have to be searched. Thank you!” (I said turning and walking out)

SLV: “How rude!” (Oh the righteous indignation in her voice was precious)

I don’t know, two ‘thank yous’ in a very short conversation doesn’t seem rude to me. I’m sending the sound file to my GF right now; after all, she should know this about me, right?
What do you expect from someone with an IQ near room temperature? They don't hire rocket scientists for that job.

357WheelGun

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Only a few moments later I got an out of office reply from a Mark Connelly:

Hi, thanks for your e-mail. I am currently out of the office until late afternoon Monday, May 19. If this is an emergency please contact
I think that the whole of the Washington Parks Department is on break until the 19th. I got the same response to an E-mail I just sent to the King County Parks Department regarding signage at Cougar Mountain.

Also, thanks for spurring me to get involved in my thread over at THR.

Holo

imported post

Mainsail wrote:

SLW: “How rude!” (Oh the righteous indignation in her voice was precious)

Did you approach the door with an unbagged item knowing they would probably make you stop to check it?

I went with my wife a few weeks ago and they said they were going to call the cops on me.

I kept walking out, he asked to see my receipt and I told him no thank you, this isn't Costco and I didn't steal anything. Starts protesting...I keep walking, wife behind me. He says he's going to call the police and his manager.

I slowly walk to my car, slowly load my items into my vehicle, and slowly put the cart back in the rack. Slowly drove out...not a word from anyone. I was in the closest non-handicapped spot to the store too.

I understand the rules that a storeowner should have some way to check if you're stealing something, I just don't agree with it. Unless I've specifically agreed to it (Costco for instance), then it's a no go.

I didn't even think about it, but last week I went to Best Buy and this overweight "loss prevention" guy asked to see my receipt. I was in a conversation with my wife and cousin so I wasn't thinking about continuing to walk on...grrr. After spending over a thousand dollars at your shitty overpriced store, the least you can do is not treat me like a thief.

Mainsail

imported post

Holo wrote:
Did you approach the door with an unbagged item knowing they would probably make you stop to check it?
How would I know that? I have never been asked for a receipt in order to leave anywhere except Costco and once at Best Buy. I stood in line for six or seven minutes waiting to pay for the item, I will not wait just for the privilege of carrying my property out of the store. I find the practice absolutely insulting.

I’m very sure that there is no place one can go inside the store (other than maybe the restrooms) where you are not observable by at least one camera. If they believe I have shoplifted something then they can act appropriately. However, those same cameras saw me standing in the checkout line, so accosting me as I leave with an item too large to have concealed is asinine. They have their policy, I have mine.