Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Misc - Testing body armor

Post imported post

Alex Jason is a ballsy mother fu**er! This is one in a series of educational videos about firearms called "deadly weapons" check it out on YouTube.

[flash=425,355]http://www.youtube.com/v/f8GBl1XlRtc&hl=en[/flash]

This guy has got 10lb balls of steel.

EDIT: could somebody that knows how to embed videos do me a solid and embed this for me?

Post imported post

Here are a couple of russian idiots trying to do the same thing without the right level of body armor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUBt6GG8bu8&NR=1

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?video_id=jUBt6GG8bu8&rel=1&eurl=&amp ;iurl=http%3A//i.ytimg.com/vi/jUBt6GG8bu8/default.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskJhQZvQhvnxxxQsaaiQPsyr &hl=en[/flash]

result = 3 broken ribs

Post imported post

I've been thinking of getting body armor...

Post imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:

It's nice. I don't wear my second chance vest regularly, but last night when I went outside to ask the mexican gansters with prison tattoos to please turn down their car stereo because we were trying to sleep and the bass was vibrating our walls, it was nice to be able to strap on something extra just in case.

EDIT: BTW, much to my surprise, they were very nice guys and appologized for disrupting us. They were very friendly.

Post imported post

expvideo wrote:
    imperialism2024 wrote:

It's nice. I don't wear my second chance vest regularly, but last night when I went outside to ask the mexican gansters with prison tattoos to please turn down their car stereo because we were trying to sleep and the bass was vibrating our walls, it was nice to be able to strap on something extra just in case.

EDIT: BTW, much to my surprise, they were very nice guys and appologized for disrupting us. They were very friendly.
    Those are kind of my thoughts. We always talk about active defenses, i.e. carrying a gun, but there isn't much discussed about passive defenses, such as body armor. Granted, body armor isn't going to stop a .50BMG round from penetrating, but the right level can stop most pistol rounds, and some can stop most rifle rounds as well, though most people wouldn't want to wear plates on a regular basis...

Edited because I can't spell, apparently.

Post imported post

ll I can say is HOLY SH*T :what::what::what::what::what::what:
    A gun Owner Is A Citizen
    Anyone Else is a Subject

Post imported post

expvideo wrote:
    imperialism2024 wrote:

:shock:

In all honesty,do you think they were friendlybecause you happened to be openly displaying your civil rights at the time?
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

One of those things you'll rarely hear in anyones lifetime: "I want you to shoot me one more time"...LOL
    Cool vest!
    The Dragonskin vest I saw on Futureweapons was equally as cool...even took a grenade!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS0pSwdQfbY
    [flash=425,355]http://www.youtube.com/v/KS0pSwdQfbY&hl=en[/flash]

Post imported post

Flintlock wrote:

:shock:

In all honesty,do you think they were friendlybecause you happened to be openly displying your civil rights at the time?
    I wasn't at the time, but I was CCing.

Post imported post

I don't think the Russian guys were using the wrong level of body armor, I think they just didn't know to put a catalog on under the vest like the first guy did with the .44 mag to absorb the directed force of impact. The vest stopped the bullet.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:
    I don't think the Russian guys were using the wrong level of body armor, I think they just didn't know to put a catalog on under the vest like the first guy did with the .44 mag to absorb the directed force of impact. The vest stopped the bullet.
    Agreed.... he had nothing but his flesh to absorb the shock.

The vest will stop the bullet from entering your body but the vest still gets a indentation form the round of an inch or two.

That is going to hurt but you will not bleed to death.

Post imported post

When I was a kid my dad dated a policewoman who was shot on the job. She was wearing a vest but it still broke her rib. She survived though, so the vest did its job.

Did anyone else get a bit uncomfortable with the way he shot himself with that .44 mag? It didn't exactly seem very stable or safe.

Post imported post

Yeah, I was a bit dubious of the guy's firing stance with that .44

On the subject of that Dragonskin vest though.... dayum. I have got to get me one of those. I'll bet they're every bit of $10,000 though.
    The Dogs of War are nothing compared to the Cats

Post imported post

That whole video didn't look too smart to me.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I agree about the firing stance with the 44 magnum. He was squeezing them off one handed like it was no problem. I have shot a 44 mag a couple of times one handed, and that thing really torques up, and pushes back. I'll be he had specials in that thing.

Post imported post

If the armor failed and the guy died, would it be murder or assisted suicide?
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

Flintlock wrote:
    Manslaugher due to criminal negligence*

*I think.

Post imported post

Flintlock wrote:
    Death by Darwin.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    Flintlock wrote:
    Death by Darwin.
    +1
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

on that dragonskin, it failed the military tests miserably. so i don't know how much i'd trust it. but then again some would say they don't trust the government so.... but the interceptor armor the military uses has been proven effective in multiple combat scenarios.

PVT McDonald

Post imported post

Hopefully the military didn't test it like these guys did!

Post imported post

Actually from all the research that I have done, what I saw is that the military did not test it fairly on the same conditions as they did the interceptor. But, then again, IIRC it DID fail the cold weather/frozen test.

My thought is that it was some brass's ex-army buddy and wanted him to win the contract or some such nonsense.

In any case, Dragonskin is not even close to $10,000. It depends on the level of protection you get, but the baseline front protection is around $2100. It goes up from there depending on the thickness of the plates you get and the amount of protection (small, chest area only, to full protection, back, sides, neck, shoulders). I think the high price for it is around $6,500. I plan on buying Level II front and back with upper respitory by next summer.

Gwee

Post imported post

I'm not sure if part of that was talking to me but I just meant that if it failed, I hoped nobody was wearing it at the time, like they did in this. As well as the whole shooting themselves with a .44 magnum with such an unstable grip.

$6500 is a lot more than most body armor I've seen. I can't imagine buying the lowest level of protection and only in the front. I would probably prefer a $20 surplus police vest (Hey, it's better than nothing) or a new reasonably priced vest over a $2000 vest that I can't afford and only protects my chest. If I were going to get it, I'd get it in the model that actually offers more than or the same protection as a Level II kevlar vest while being more concealable due to the lack of those huge plates. If the lesser models don't offer that, why spend all of that extra money?

I'm not saying it sucks, but it is going to be thousands and thousands of dollars for one that offers enough of an advantage over normal Kevlar for it to be worth it IMO. To me, $6500 is plenty close to $10000. Honestly, if you can afford to drop over $6000 on body armor, you could probably drop $10000. It really doesn't seem like it was that bad of a guess on their part.

I mean, if it was $200 I could see you arguing about it being "not even close, blah blah blah," but seriously, it's expensive, there's no way around that. If you're in the group of people who can purchase that, good for you, but for me it's certainly close enough to $10k that it doesn't matter.

Re spit, or y.

Spit again, or why. Respiratory! :celebrate

Post imported post

Vests break down over time. My agency replaces them about every 3 years. The material loses the strength to stop the rounds so be cautious is you do buy one that is old.

They are good for the shooting range I guess but in the civilian world... if you have to wear a vest where you are going... maybe you should not go.

I wear a vest all shift and look forward to taking it off before going home.

State Researcher

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    Vests break down over time. My agency replaces them about every 3 years. The material loses the strength to stop the rounds so be cautious is you do buy one that is old.
    Not true.
    Look up bulletproofme.com and they'll show you why. 20 year old vests that were worn full time for 3-5 years, (then say in storage) sweated on etc and they still stop ALL rounds they were rated to stop.
    Agencies replace them all the time because the 'warranty' expires and they have taxpayers' money to spend, so why not? Kinda like troops replacing Aimpoint batteries every month (they last years). Why? Cause they can and it gives them peace of mind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast