• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Misc - Testing body armor

expvideo

imported post

Alex Jason is a ballsy mother fu**er! This is one in a series of educational videos about firearms called "deadly weapons" check it out on YouTube.

[flash=425,355]http://www.youtube.com/v/f8GBl1XlRtc&hl=en[/flash]

This guy has got 10lb balls of steel.

EDIT: could somebody that knows how to embed videos do me a solid and embed this for me?

expvideo

imported post

Here are a couple of russian idiots trying to do the same thing without the right level of body armor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUBt6GG8bu8&NR=1

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?video_id=jUBt6GG8bu8&rel=1&eurl=&iurl=http%3A//i.ytimg.com/vi/jUBt6GG8bu8/default.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskJhQZvQhvnxxxQsaaiQPsyr&hl=en[/flash]

result = 3 broken ribs

expvideo

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
I've been thinking of getting body armor...

It's nice. I don't wear my second chance vest regularly, but last night when I went outside to ask the mexican gansters with prison tattoos to please turn down their car stereo because we were trying to sleep and the bass was vibrating our walls, it was nice to be able to strap on something extra just in case.

EDIT: BTW, much to my surprise, they were very nice guys and appologized for disrupting us. They were very friendly.

imperialism2024

imported post

expvideo wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

It's nice. I don't wear my second chance vest regularly, but last night when I went outside to ask the mexican gansters with prison tattoos to please turn down their car stereo because we were trying to sleep and the bass was vibrating our walls, it was nice to be able to strap on something extra just in case.

EDIT: BTW, much to my surprise, they were very nice guys and appologized for disrupting us. They were very friendly.
Those are kind of my thoughts. We always talk about active defenses, i.e. carrying a gun, but there isn't much discussed about passive defenses, such as body armor. Granted, body armor isn't going to stop a .50BMG round from penetrating, but the right level can stop most pistol rounds, and some can stop most rifle rounds as well, though most people wouldn't want to wear plates on a regular basis...

Edited because I can't spell, apparently.

Flintlock

imported post

expvideo wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

:shock:

In all honesty,do you think they were friendlybecause you happened to be openly displaying your civil rights at the time? ;)

expvideo

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
:shock:

In all honesty,do you think they were friendlybecause you happened to be openly displying your civil rights at the time? ;)
I wasn't at the time, but I was CCing.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't think the Russian guys were using the wrong level of body armor, I think they just didn't know to put a catalog on under the vest like the first guy did with the .44 mag to absorb the directed force of impact. The vest stopped the bullet.

LEO 229

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I don't think the Russian guys were using the wrong level of body armor, I think they just didn't know to put a catalog on under the vest like the first guy did with the .44 mag to absorb the directed force of impact. The vest stopped the bullet.
Agreed.... he had nothing but his flesh to absorb the shock.

The vest will stop the bullet from entering your body but the vest still gets a indentation form the round of an inch or two.

That is going to hurt but you will not bleed to death.

Weak 9mm

imported post

When I was a kid my dad dated a policewoman who was shot on the job. She was wearing a vest but it still broke her rib. She survived though, so the vest did its job. :)

Did anyone else get a bit uncomfortable with the way he shot himself with that .44 mag? It didn't exactly seem very stable or safe.

Kivuli

imported post

Yeah, I was a bit dubious of the guy's firing stance with that .44 :p

On the subject of that Dragonskin vest though.... dayum. I have got to get me one of those. I'll bet they're every bit of $10,000 though.

dixiehacker

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I agree about the firing stance with the 44 magnum. He was squeezing them off one handed like it was no problem. I have shot a 44 mag a couple of times one handed, and that thing really torques up, and pushes back. I'll be he had specials in that thing.

Flintlock

imported post

If the armor failed and the guy died, would it be murder or assisted suicide?
gah.gif

thx997303

imported post

on that dragonskin, it failed the military tests miserably. so i don't know how much i'd trust it. but then again some would say they don't trust the government so.... but the interceptor armor the military uses has been proven effective in multiple combat scenarios.

PVT McDonald