• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Places off Limits

PFC Helms

imported post

I am in the process of creating a card that states the rights and the places off limits in the state of Kentucky of Open Carry. I need a list of places that are off limits for open carry by law. I will finish it and post it on here for anybody who would like one. Also i would be willing to create them and send them to anybody who would like one for $1 which is no profit to me just the cost of a stamp an envelope the cardstock and the laminating material.

Thanks,

Helms, Thomas S
PFC
1/149th BSTB
U.S. Army

mike m

imported post

the same places are off limits for ccw and oc per the law that i am aware of. They seem to be the sameplaces. I will be buying one of these from you when you've completed them.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Has anyone looked into doing a Gun Rights pamphlet like we did here in Washington State? I check the KY forum from time to time as I'm orig from Madisonville. I've attached the pamphlet. -Bill

edit: We also put together a list of business that are gun friendly and those that are anti-gun. See page 1 on the following link:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/3630.html

N00blet45

imported post

It can be a bit confusing because people sometimes quote the CCDW part of the firearms code (KRS 237 is all firearms, 237.110 starts CCDW laws). CC has a few more places that are off limits as opposed to OC, namely police stations, courthouses, and detention facilities.

Anyways according to the Kentucky Revised Statutes OC is only illegal in two places, bars (KRS 244.125) and schools (KRS 527.070). Now the law relating to schools has an exemption if the firearm remains in your vehicle.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Coheeba wrote:
Great idea. Lemme know when they're done. I'll take at least one.
I print the Washington pamphlets up 100 at a time and have a hard time keeping them on hand. As I have an encounter with someone I hand them a pamphlet and let them know about Open Carry. They've been very handly in letting the public know about Open carry in our state.

Wyoming

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
Anyways according to the Kentucky Revised Statutes OC is only illegal in two places, bars (KRS 244.125) and schools (KRS 527.070). Now the law relating to schools has an exemption if the firearm remains in your vehicle.
I seriously doubt the sheriff deputies on duty at the local courthouse doors will let me in while OC.

N00blet45

imported post

There is actually a thread about the courthouse thing. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum25/9736.html

The part of the Kentucky code quoted in that thread is related to concealed deadly weapons. However, even that makes it clear that the statute banning concealed deadly weapons in a courthouse only applies to "Any courthouse, solely occupied by the Court of Justice courtroom, or court proceeding;". Meaning that if the courthouse building has a DMV office that you could legally carry into the DMV area. I'm sure the police would stop you but I'm sure you could take them to court and a judge would be more than happy to educate them on the law.

superdemon

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
There is actually a thread about the courthouse thing. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum25/9736.html

The part of the Kentucky code quoted in that thread is related to concealed deadly weapons. However, even that makes it clear that the statute banning concealed deadly weapons in a courthouse only applies to "Any courthouse, solely occupied by the Court of Justice courtroom, or court proceeding;". Meaning that if the courthouse building has a DMV office that you could legally carry into the DMV area. I'm sure the police would stop you but I'm sure you could take them to court and a judge would be more than happy to educate them on the law.

You missed the point, and you are giving bad advice.

He asked about OC, not CC.

KRS 237.110(2) says that municipalities CAN PROHIBIT THE OC OFA WEAPON.

If the sign/sticker on the front door uses this specific KRS (again, KRS 237.110(2)), then weapons are prohibited in the building, or section of the building it is posted on.

PLEASE READ THE ABOVE CAREFULLY!!!!!

ALSO, READ THE BELOW CAREFULLY, ESPECIALLY SECTION (2)!!!

Page 1 of 1 [font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]237.115 Construction of KRS 237.110 -- Prohibition by local government units of carrying concealed deadly weapons in governmental buildings -- Restriction on criminal penalties.
[/font]
(1) Except as provided in KRS 527.020, nothing contained in KRS 237.110 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the right of a college, university, or any postsecondary education facility, including technical schools and community colleges, to control the possession of deadly weapons on any property owned or controlled by them or the right of a unit of state, city, county, urban-county, or charter county government to prohibit the carrying of concealed deadly weapons by licensees in that portion of a building actually owned, leased, or occupied by that unit of government.

(2) Except as provided in KRS 527.020, the legislative body of a state, city, county, or urban-county government may, by statute, administrative regulation, or ordinance, prohibit or limit the carrying of concealed deadly weapons by licensees in that portion of a building owned, leased, or controlled by that unit of government. That portion of a building in which the carrying of concealed deadly weapons is prohibited or limited shall be clearly identified by signs posted at the entrance to the restricted area. The statute or ordinance shall exempt any building used for public housing by private persons, highway rest areas, firing ranges, and private dwellings owned, leased, or controlled by that unit of government from any restriction on the carrying or possession of deadly weapons. The statute, administrative regulation, or ordinance shall not specify any criminal penalty for its violation but may specify that persons violating the statute or ordinance may be denied entrance to the building, ordered to leave the building, and if employees of the unit of government, be subject to employee disciplinary measures for violation of the provisions of the statute or ordinance. The provisions of this section shall not be deemed to be a violation of KRS 65.870 if the requirements of this section are followed. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any other unit of government.

(3) Unless otherwise specifically provided by the Kentucky Revised Statutes or applicable federal law, no criminal penalty shall attach to carrying a concealed firearm or other deadly weapon with a permit at any location at which an unconcealed firearm or other deadly weapon may be constitutionally carried.

Effective:
March 31, 2005

History:
Amended 2005 Ky. Acts ch. 182, sec. 16, effective March 31, 2005. -- Created 1996 Ky. Acts ch. 119, sec. 5, effective October 1, 1996.

TheMrMitch

imported post

This is what I keep copies of and hand out. Iusually hand out over ten a week now.:cool:

[align=left]Traveler's checklist:[/align]
[align=left] *Firearms Ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required[/align]
[align=left]
*Assault weapon ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required[/align]
[align=left] *Machine Gun Ownership:
no state restrictions, compliance with federal law only[/align]
[align=left] *Firearm law uniformity:
preemption law, firearm laws uniform throughout state[/align]
[align=left] *Right of Self-Defense: castle doctrine, right protected by statute[/align]
[align=left] *Open carry: unrestricted in most public areas and generally accepted[/align]
[align=left] *Concealed carry:
licenses granted to residents on a "shall issue" basis; automatic
reciprocity for nonresidents with licenses from other states[/align]

[align=left] *Vehicle carry and transportation:
firearms (rifles, shotguns and handguns) may
be carried
loaded and in plain view; loaded handguns maybe carried in
the glove compartment (center console box carry is not allowed)
[/align]
[align=left][/align]

[align=left] Kentucky's rolling hills and tree-covered mountains provide the perfect
setting for any Hollywood production about the early pioneers of the Ohio valley.
Firearms carry in those days was essential for survival. Fortunately for gun-owners,
Kentucky still maintains a healthyrespect for this heritage in its firearm laws.[/align]
[align=left] Kentucky requires a license to carry a firearm concealed on or about one's
person. The State Police issue such permits through the local sheriff of the
applicant's home county for a five year term. Kentucky does not grant permits to
nonresidents but will recognize any permit issued by another state. Kentucky
licenses allow the concealed carry of any deadly weapon by the permittee.[/align]
[align=left] A traveler without a permit may carry loaded firearms in a vehicle if the
weapons are in plain view. Kentucky allows anyone to carry a loaded handgun in a
visible belt holster or on the dashboard or passenger seat of one's car. Glove
compartment carry is also considered legitimate as long the compartment is of the
factory-installed variety on the passenger's side. Console boxes and seat pockets
are not legitimate areas for unlicensed carry. Carrying a handgun in one of these
areas is the same as placing the weapon under the seat. Both modes of carry are
limited to persons possessing carry licenses. Rifles and shotguns may be carried
loaded and in plain view. The weapons may be secured in gun racks, gun slings, or
commercial gun cases located anywhere in the vehicle except concealed about the person.[/align]
[align=left] Travelers may carry loaded firearms in plain view while on foot in virtually any
public area of the state. Such carry is best limited to visible belt holsters secured on
one's hip. Kentucky's strong preemption law prevents this activity, as well as most
others involving firearms, from being locally regulated. Recently, employers were
further prohibited from preventing employees from carrying firearms in their vehicles
while the vehicles are parked on company property.[/align]
[align=left][/align]

N00blet45

imported post

superdemon wrote:
N00blet45 wrote:

You missed the point, and you are giving bad advice.

He asked about OC, not CC.

KRS 237.110(2) says that municipalities CAN PROHIBIT THE OC OFA WEAPON.

If the sign/sticker on the front door uses this specific KRS (again, KRS 237.110(2)), then weapons are prohibited in the building, or section of the building it is posted on.

PLEASE READ THE ABOVE CAREFULLY!!!!!

ALSO, READ THE BELOW CAREFULLY, ESPECIALLY SECTION (2)!!!

Page 1 of 1 [font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]237.115 Construction of KRS 237.110 -- Prohibition by local government units of carrying concealed deadly weapons in governmental buildings -- Restriction on criminal penalties.
[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"][/font]
(1) Except as provided in KRS 527.020, nothing contained in KRS 237.110 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the right of a college, university, or any postsecondary education facility, including technical schools and community colleges, to control the possession of deadly weapons on any property owned or controlled by them or the right of a unit of state, city, county, urban-county, or charter county government to prohibit the carrying of concealed deadly weapons by licensees in that portion of a building actually owned, leased, or occupied by that unit of government.

(2) Except as provided in KRS 527.020, the legislative body of a state, city, county, or urban-county government may, by statute, administrative regulation, or ordinance, prohibit or limit the carrying of concealed deadly weapons by licensees in that portion of a building owned, leased, or controlled by that unit of government. That portion of a building in which the carrying of concealed deadly weapons is prohibited or limited shall be clearly identified by signs posted at the entrance to the restricted area. The statute or ordinance shall exempt any building used for public housing by private persons, highway rest areas, firing ranges, and private dwellings owned, leased, or controlled by that unit of government from any restriction on the carrying or possession of deadly weapons. The statute, administrative regulation, or ordinance shall not specify any criminal penalty for its violation but may specify that persons violating the statute or ordinance may be denied entrance to the building, ordered to leave the building, and if employees of the unit of government, be subject to employee disciplinary measures for violation of the provisions of the statute or ordinance. The provisions of this section shall not be deemed to be a violation of KRS 65.870 if the requirements of this section are followed. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any other unit of government.

(3) Unless otherwise specifically provided by the Kentucky Revised Statutes or applicable federal law, no criminal penalty shall attach to carrying a concealed firearm or other deadly weapon with a permit at any location at which an unconcealed firearm or other deadly weapon may be constitutionally carried.

Effective:
March 31, 2005

History:
Amended 2005 Ky. Acts ch. 182, sec. 16, effective March 31, 2005. -- Created 1996 Ky. Acts ch. 119, sec. 5, effective October 1, 1996.

Bad advice, how so? Taking legal action to get the local police educated on the law is bad advice?

Either you're mistaken or I'm not understanding you. KRS 237.110 (2), does that mean section 2 of that statute? Because if it does then that has nothing to do with the power of the local governments to regulate open carry. I think you meant 237.115 (2). Which even that does not allow for the limit open carry, it allows for the limiting of concealed carry in government buildings.

And I am talking about both OC and CC. OC is not prohibited by statute in a courthouse, CC is.

warman1

imported post

Mrmitch,

Just happened to see that you live close to my home town, Elizabethtown and wanted to see what you thought about the Towne malls policy of no firearms ?

My wife and I were in there today when mall security approached and said they had a no firearms policy. I told him I had checked for a sign and hadnt seen one. He politely walked me to the door and pointed out a sign placed on the wall where it is basically not in plain view. You have to come into the mall and look directly to the right or left atop the fire extinguisher . I think maybe we should get our local gun owners to boycott Towne mall since they dont respect our right to protect ourselves.

I even asked about it being a public place and was told that its privately owned land with public access. I would like to try to find out who actually owns the place and send them a letter stating my dissatisfaction with his/her policy. Well I just wanted to let the other members know about this information. I made my wife fully aware that I didnt want any of my hard earned money spent at a place that is anti gun, thats all I can do as of yet ,but am going to see about taking it as far as getting a petition going and sending it to the Towne mall. Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks ,

warman1

TheMrMitch

imported post

Excellent on the petition....I'll sign.

IF malls have a sign, a LEGAL sign about no weapons, then we must adhere and leave the premises. Sad, but true.:banghead:

warman1

imported post

Yeah I Know we have to leave if its posted but the law says it has to be in public view. I didnt consider it to be but, thats not really the point im trying to make. I just want the owners of Towne mall to be aware of the amount of citizens that live in Hardin Co. that dont like their policy. I wont shop at a store if I cant feel safe , I will find another place to shop. I have never had any problems at Wal-Mart, I noticed in one of the threads that someone was going to organize a OC day at Wal-mart, I am ready for whenever the next OC meet is gonna be . Im gonna ask my good friends Wanda and Bill at Etown gun if I can post a petition in their store for a while.

Just came home from OC at Texas roadhouse , took my wife out for valentines dinner. Nothing but a bunch , and I mean a bunch of people asking questions about my gun. Apparently theres alot of people who dont know that ky is a Gold Star OC state. We have got to start really getting this information out there.

warman1

imported post

yep... cant wait to be at the next OC event . Im getting ready to run to Wal-mart to pick up a few items. Im gonna check some of the local businesses to see which ones are posted . Im real curious about Target and the new Sams Club. Anyone have any idea if they are posted ?

Scout23

imported post

I'm at Ft Knox and go to towne mall all the time I'll sign the petition. Its wrong for people to deny others of their rights.

chris in va

imported post

I'm at Ft Knox and go to towne mall all the time I'll sign the petition. Its wrong for people to deny others of their rights.
I understand wanting to carry everywere (and I mostly do) but if a company, shop, mall or private residence asks that you don't bring a firearm into the place, at the very least just CC to respect their wishes.

Until we can get a weapon that ONLY hits the intended target, we have to deal with this BS all the time.

Oh, and guys let me know if there's an upcoming OC event as I live in Shepherdsville. Been here two months, moved recently from VA and attended a few of their VCDL restaurant OC meetings.