• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weapon Cleared Holster

VtCO

State Researcher
imported post

I never thought I'd actually have to draw my weapon.

The wife and I went out for our usual evening walk and were rushed by a couple of dogs. We were on the last leg of the walk back towards the house when we heard some barking behind us. We figure it's the usual dogs barking about us being too close to their house, but we've never had any ever leave their property to come after us. One was a small Pomeranian type ankle biter and the other was a rather largish rottweiler. Fortunately the big dog stopped before getting to close, but it worried me bad enough to actually clear holster. Another couple of steps and I'd be praying that I actually hit the thing.

Whew

Wife says she will now be carrying all the time, instead of rather sporadically.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

lol, I like how 3 people have voted for "No - guns are evil, you shouldn't have one" and nobody has voted for "No- you should have another way to defend yourself." doesn't that seem a little odd on this forum?

imperialism2024

imported post

Pointman wrote:
Not many people train in fighting dogs, and there's generally not a lot of reaction time when one attacks. Many dogs will sneak up quietly from behind, and when they get close let out a snarl so you turn around, then they jump for your neck. Most people block with an arm if they're fast enough, so they'd be at a disadvantage for racking a slide with one arm being shredding in the dog's mouth. As such, a Level-2 retention holster and loaded weapon off safe is probably a good idea for many people.
I'm working as a mailman for the time being... even though a lot of people get freaked out by barking dogs, it's the quiet dogs I worry about...

XD40coyote

imported post

Speaking of dogs, thereis adog like thing killing my chickens, andI have been carrying while feeding/watering/generally caring for my poultry. This dog like thing is a red fox and it would be very good shooting to actually hit its COM in the 1-2 seconds it might stand still and be broadside at a decent close yardage. I am carrying my XD9 sub LOL

And I have no qualms at all for killing a fox, and shooting one out of season and engaged in depredation is legal. In fact if some neighbor's roving dog was killing my poultry I would also attempt to shoot it if the warning shot does not scare it. Most dogs seem to be terrified by gunfire, unless they are hunting dogs that are trained to not be gun shy. My own dogs, esp my old blue heeler, just HATE gun shots and fireworks. One time I shot a trapped animal while the heeler was with me, me not even thinking,and he took off and I had to look for him for some time, and found him way up the other side of the property with the farmer LOL.

imperialism2024

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
Speaking of dogs, thereis adog like thing killing my chickens, andI have been carrying while feeding/watering/generally caring for my poultry. This dog like thing is a red fox and it would be very good shooting to actually hit its COM in the 1-2 seconds it might stand still and be broadside at a decent close yardage. I am carrying my XD9 sub LOL

And I have no qualms at all for killing a fox, and shooting one out of season and engaged in depredation is legal. In fact if some neighbor's roving dog was killing my poultry I would also attempt to shoot it if the warning shot does not scare it. Most dogs seem to be terrified by gunfire, unless they are hunting dogs that are trained to not be gun shy. My own dogs, esp my old blue heeler, just HATE gun shots and fireworks. One time I shot a trapped animal while the heeler was with me, me not even thinking,and he took off and I had to look for him for some time, and found him way up the other side of the property with the farmer LOL.
No shotgun laying around to use? It would give you a little more spread to work with...

ETA: Hey, if you want to borrow one of my Saiga-12's, just let me know. I think I have a few 5-round mags laying around somewhere, even though I prefer the evil 10-round "cop killer" mags. :uhoh:

XD40coyote

imported post

Warning shots are for domestic dogs. If I see it doing poultry chasing a 2nd time, then there is no warning shot. If it is really raggetty looking and skinny or mangey I will assume it is feral and there will be no warning shots.

Foxes get no warning shots, as they are wild animals and not "owned" by some person who is being irresponsible and letting it run loose to get in trouble.

Shotguns- kind of bulky, heavier,and hard to carry when doing the chores. This situation is akin to being somewhere and some maniac starts attacking someone, you don't carry a shotgun as a carry weapon.You can't stick a shotgun in a shoulder holster. Would be excellent for regular hunting of foxes though, where I am set up to just hunt foxes, and not go in and out of sheds carrying scoops of chicken feed, or changing the water for the ducklings. The Taurus Judge is also out, I can't afford one of those right now, but I am certainly interested in 1!

TodayI set up 2 lifesize targets of a fox drawn with black marker on cardboard, and my 1st 2 shots were excellent double lung hits at 10 yards- with the XD9 sub. I then got really figity and was all over the place, but when I moved the 2ndtarget to 7-8 yardsI started getting groupings in the small vitals area, but againI got flustered. I seem to do better the first couple shots, and the first is the one that counts if the real livefox turns broadside to me and stops a moment ( lipsqueaks help make them stop and stare). It was really hard to see the small target area btw, I was almost blind trying to get the front site focused against it. I think the crimson trace lasergrip would really come in handy, if onlyI could afford one right now. Would be great at night if the fox is on the edge where the shed lighting diminishes and fades into the dark.

Hmm yeahI also have rat problems and have been rather enjoying rat trapping, but some are too smart for the traps, soI got some 9mm rat shot rounds today, never used these before, so not sure how well they work. I have killed 25 rats so far with trapping.