• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2 open carry experiences

silver nekode

imported post

okay, i have been working too much and having computer problems, so I havn't been able to post, but I bought a S&W 1911 with factory installed crimson trace grips.

The day I bought the pistol, a couple of my friends and I went to golden corrall in Nampa. When we got there, the line was clear out to the doors, but we didn't think we could do any better somewhere else so we stayed and waited. While in line we heard a group of people talking about my pistol on my hip, and I heard probably about the dumbest words ever spoken that seem to be an anthem for these people: "in california you can't do that". however, they never said anything to me and I didn't start the conversation because people that liberal aren't going to listen to anything you say anyways. Eventually we got to our table and I got up the first time to get food, and one of the cooks came from the kitchen and came up to me. I was expecting trouble and then he asked, "weren't you carrying a smaller gun the other day?" it turns out I had talked to him in a grocery store less than a week before and he remembered me and what I had told him about open carry. After that I went and sat down and was eating when a group of people at a nearby table got up to leave, and one of them came over and was asking me if my pistol was the new sigma. I told him what I was carrying and we had a good conversation about weapon preferences and he left. All in all I considered it a great day OC'ing and it was the first day I had the new pistol!

Now the flip-side. A friend and I went to sportsmans Warehouse in Nampa to look at hunting rifles, This was probably about the tenth time I have been in there, always OC'ing. This is the first time that I was told that I had to check the firearm. My friend was carrying his charles daly 1911 and they made us both turn in our clips and check the firearms at the counter(you keep your pistol on you, they just make sure its unloaded). Keep in mind we were not there for anything with our pistols we were just OC'ing. We asked them, because I had read on here that you only had to check a weapon if you were having it worked on. I didn't make an issue because the friend I was with didn't want to, and he was there doing me a favor so I let it go, but this is the first negative experience I have had with a local sporting goods store. Also, because i forgot to say earlier, my friend and i were both dressed respectably, in slacks and nice shirts, and I had my serpa holster on a drop-thigh rig from being at the range earlier.
I think its just skinny people being afraid that they let us fat people have guns :p

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Congrats on OCing!

Look up the other posts regarding Sportsman's on this site. Their policy is to tell you to unload ONLY IF YOU'RE TAKING THE GUN IN TO BE SERVICED!!!! Don't let the ignorant confused employees tell you otherwise. My brother and I personally got Sportsman's to get this straightened out at the corporate level. Be polite, but don't let them unload you again! :D

devldogs55

imported post

Hey.. good deal. I live in N. Idaho and work at Sportsman's Warehouse at the gun counter. I'll tell ya, there is a lot of internal confusion, and it frustrates me to no end how poorly our policy is enforced.

The official store policy that I'm reading right here in my handbook states that we are only to worry about it when a holstered weapon (concealed or not) becomes unholstered. This happens on a regular basis; where someone wants to bring their sidearm in and try it in a new holster we've got for sale. That is when we ask them to check it at customer service.

We have allowed many customers to open carry in the store - including one guy who was 6'5" and probably 400 pounds. He had a police style belt on with some of the most "mall ninjaesque" items on there. I actually asked him if he was carrying a light saber and he said it was a replica!

Saint

imported post

devldogs55 wrote: The official store policy that I'm reading right here in my handbook states that we are only to worry about it when a holstered weapon (concealed or not) becomes unconcealed. This happens on a regular basis; where someone wants to bring their sidearm in and try it in a new holster we've got for sale. That is when we ask them to check it at customer service.

Can we assume you mean Unholstered? :D

silver nekode

imported post

yeah, I knew that was the policy, but i was thinking this issue had come up at the boise store, not the nampa one. If it becomes and issue again, i will bring it up, i just thought i would let yall know.