Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SERPA Review

Post imported post

(Gun used: Glock 22)

So far, I Like It.

It's much lower profile than the cordura Bianchi Paddle holster I was using, It is a LOT nicer to Draw/Reholster with, the lack of a thumb break is nice, and it is a whole lot more comfortable.
    (hardly notice it's there much of the time.)

My only gripe (minor one) is with the paddle, it's a pain in the to take off without taking my pants off first.
    But this is also a good thing, as no one will be able to just walk up and rip it off.

In all I give it 5 out of 5.

Post imported post

Try taking your belt off first, then slide the holster back and forth, front to back while lifting it up. It's a lot quicker than dropping your pants. Although not as fun.:P
    I can tell you've been Rady8ed, you have a nice glow about you.

Post imported post

Eagleeye wrote:

So far, I Like It.

It's much lower profile than the cordura Bianchi Paddle holster I was using, It is a LOT nicer to Draw/Reholster with, the lack of a thumb break is nice, and it is a whole lot more comfortable.

My only gripe (minor one) is with the paddle, it's a pain in the to take off without taking my pants off first.
    But this is also a good thing, as no one will be able to just walk up and rip it off.

A trick......................take off the two "hooks" that are on the top part and it will be easier to take off but it will stay on secure and safe. I carry like that, matter of fact I ran with it like that tonight:celebrate

Post imported post

Eagleeye wrote:

So far, I Like It.

A trick......................take off the two "hooks" that are on the top part and it will be easier to take off but it will stay on secure and safe. I carry like that, matter of fact I ran with it like that tonight:celebrate

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    A trick......................take off the two "hooks" that are on the top part and it will be easier to take off but it will stay on secure and safe.
    Itook mine off too. Much much easier to take off.

Post imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    A trick......................take off the two "hooks" that are on the top part and it will be easier to take off but it will stay on secure and safe.
    Itook mine off too. Much much easier to take off.
    Yup, justtwist of the wrist ( keep your minds out of the gutter) and it come off very easily.

Post imported post

Eagleeye wrote:

I take mine off without removing my pants all the time.

I grab the butt of the gun and twist the barrel outward away from my leg, pushing down a bit so the belt hooks disengage and move out from my belt. Then, maintaining the outward pressure to keep the hooks from re-engaging, I pull upward, the release the pressure. Finally I grab the paddle itself with two hands, one on each side, and bend it to (somewhat) disengage the third hook, while pulling the holster up. That third hook usually still catches on the waist seam, but by pulling and twisting a little the holster pops free.

This is the older-style paddle, BTW, with the adjustable belthooks and stiffer paddle. The newer one (I have one of each), is much easier to remove and not as secure.

Post imported post

I have one of each type. The newer type I hate. The old type I originally removed the two hooks for easier on/off, but since buying a gun belt and adjusting the hooks at the bottom setting, if someone pulls on the holster, it slides up and the hooks catch. When I remove it, I remove the pistol first, then pull outwards on the bottom of the holster just enough to slide the hooks over the bottom edge of my belt. Then I slide my left hand inside my waistband, palm facing my torso, and use my finger tis to give a little pressure towards my torso to get the inside hook to clear and slide it up and off. It's a two hand job,but it isvery secure against any grab and comes off fairly easily now that I have had a year of practice.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:
    I have one of each type. The newer type I hate. The old type I originally removed the two hooks for easier on/off, but since buying a gun belt and adjusting the hooks at the bottom setting, if someone pulls on the holster, it slides up and the hooks catch. When I remove it, I remove the pistol first, then pull outwards on the bottom of the holster just enough to slide the hooks over the bottom edge of my belt. Then I slide my left hand inside my waistband, palm facing my torso, and use my finger tis to give a little pressure towards my torso to get the inside hook to clear and slide it up and off. It's a two hand job,but it isvery secure against any grab and comes off fairly easily now that I have had a year of practice.
    I just do it with one hand (hold your comments), one quick yank will do it, but firm (:celebratehold the comments once again)

TJ

Post imported post

I've used the paddle on mine now for a week, and it's very comfortable. But, it's a PIA to remove, so I'm trying the belt carrier for a week to see if I like that any better...

Post imported post

I often use the belt carrier, but I don't think it's quite as stable if you're going to be doing a lot of activity. Not that I'm saying it's in any way unstable. I can still move quickly if needed for short times. I'm using it for a G17, so I think it should be similarly ok for you as well.

Post imported post

I have a G19 in mine and it has been wonderful so far except getting the paddle off is a PITA as others have stated. In the event that you actually need to use that as a retention feature it can be a good thing. Very comfortable holster I must say.

Post imported post

I wear a 1911 on the serpa belt carrier. I've tried the paddle and don't like the way it feels. I just had a new belt made. Its 3/8's of an inch thick and 1.5 inches wide. No worries about sagging or movement.

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
    I wear a 1911 on the serpa belt carrier. I've tried the paddle and don't like the way it feels. I just had a new belt made. Its 3/8's of an inch thick and 1.5 inches wide. No worries about sagging or movement.
    I use the paddle when I am running cause it's firmer the the hip. I love my Serpa holsters and recommend them ANY day. I have the Shoulder holster Harness by Serpa as well. For better concealment (as a shoulder holster) I do carry in a Gould&Goodrich shoulder holster. The Serpa shoulder holster is quite bulky so I only OC that outside on any Garment for sure.

TJ

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
    I use the paddle when I am running cause it's firmer the the hip. I love my Serpa holsters and recommend them ANY day. I have the Shoulder holster Harness by Serpa as well. For better concealment (as a shoulder holster) I do carry in a Gould&Goodrich shoulder holster. The Serpa shoulder holster is quite bulky so I only OC that outside on any Garment for sure.

TJ

Post imported post

I recently bought my first (hint) Serpa and love it. My only complaint is that they don't make one to fit my S&W 629

Post imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
    I recently bought my first (hint) Serpa and love it. My only complaint is that they don't make one to fit my S&W 629

Damn you...I WANT A 629 TOOOOOOOOO.You just HAD to bring up 629 ,didn't ya...........

Now I can't sleep cuz I have to dream about HOW I can come up with the $$$ for it AGAIN.

That's a NICE piece of firearm. One of my dream guns. Still can't afford it:X:X:X:X:X

TJ

Post imported post

(Laughing at TJ's response)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

Pointman wrote:
    (Laughing at TJ's response):

I'll beopen carrying the super-huge 1911 at a party this weekend, waiting for someone to say, "That's obnoxious!" in front of a group of people so I can put on my shoulder-holster and OC my little friend.

Colt Anaconda, .44 mag.

DO IT, DO IT, DO IT :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

TJ

P.S Where is the Tri-pod for it ??D.S

Post imported post

That's funny, Have a friend in OR who's been wanting to get a shoulder rig to OC his S&W 500 Mag at BBQ's.

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    RockyMtnScotsman wrote:

Now I can't sleep cuz I have to dream about HOW I can come up with the $$$ for it AGAIN.
    TJ,

LOL...

So I guess it wouldn't help any to tell you that soon after getting my 629 Mountain Gun that it has quickly become my favorite handgun in my collection....? :celebrate

I know what you mean though - now that I have one I want another and/or a Model 29. I just don't like the prices I see on them enough to get another one... yet.

As for holstering the 629 w/o a Serpa, I'm probably going to get one from Simply Rugged out of Alaska. http://www.simplyrugged.com/index.html

Post imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    RockyMtnScotsman wrote:

TJ,

LOL...

So I guess it wouldn't help any to tell you that soon after getting my 629 Mountain Gun that it has quickly become my favorite handgun in my collection....? :celebrate

I know what you mean though - now that I have one I want another and/or a Model 29. I just don't like the prices I see on them enough to get another one... yet.

SHUT UP.....

Just RUB it in DON'T YA........

I would like to get the 629 in a 4" barrel....sweeeet.

Next time I'm in CO Springs ( I was there last year for the Ballon Festival) we'll just have to spend some $$$ on the ammo and just have to try it out, right:quirky. I'll bring my Henry 44Mag rifle and my 44Mag Ruger Vaquero 5'5 barrel:celebrate

TJ

(I'll bring some cold ones too)

Post imported post

You're on, TJ.

Post imported post

This post as well as several others influenced my decision to buy a SERPA for the weapon I would typically OC (SIG P220). I pickedone up yesterday at a place here in town. I installed the paddle and made adjustments per the directions that came with it.

I have one question about the paddle hooks. How do you adjust the two belt hooks? It appears that they can be adjusted up and down based on the width of your carry belt. Do you simply turn them? There was nothing in the enclosed instructions and I didn't find anything on the website. I don't want to start tweaking on something and have it break.

It's very comfortable and seems to be very secure.

Thanks for your time.

DocV

Post imported post

DocV wrote:
    How do you adjust the two belt hooks? It appears that they can be adjusted up and down based on the width of your carry belt. Do you simply turn them? There was nothing in the enclosed instructions and I didn't find anything on the website. I don't want to start tweaking on something and have it break.
    Flat Bladed Screwdriver, Insert in the slot on the hook and twist either direction 1/2 turn, them move them to where you want them then do the same in reverse, I prefer them in the default large setting so the holster is easyer to for me to remove.
    (dosn't deminish the ability to prevent any unwanted persons from removing it)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast