• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SERPA Review

Eagleeye

imported post

(Gun used: Glock 22)

So far, I Like It.

It's much lower profile than the cordura Bianchi Paddle holster I was using, It is a LOT nicer to Draw/Reholster with, the lack of a thumb break is nice, and it is a whole lot more comfortable.
(hardly notice it's there much of the time.)

My only gripe (minor one) is with the paddle, it's a pain in the :cuss: to take off without taking my pants off first.
But this is also a good thing, as no one will be able to just walk up and rip it off.

In all I give it 5 out of 5.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Eagleeye wrote:

So far, I Like It.

It's much lower profile than the cordura Bianchi Paddle holster I was using, It is a LOT nicer to Draw/Reholster with, the lack of a thumb break is nice, and it is a whole lot more comfortable.

My only gripe (minor one) is with the paddle, it's a pain in the :cuss: to take off without taking my pants off first.
But this is also a good thing, as no one will be able to just walk up and rip it off.

A trick......................take off the two "hooks" that are on the top part and it will be easier to take off but it will stay on secure and safe. I carry like that, matter of fact I ran with it like that tonight:celebrate

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Eagleeye wrote:

So far, I Like It.

A trick......................take off the two "hooks" that are on the top part and it will be easier to take off but it will stay on secure and safe. I carry like that, matter of fact I ran with it like that tonight:celebrate

UTOC-45-44

imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
A trick......................take off the two "hooks" that are on the top part and it will be easier to take off but it will stay on secure and safe.
Itook mine off too. Much much easier to take off.
Yup, justtwist of the wrist ( keep your minds out of the gutter) and it come off very easily.

swillden

imported post

Eagleeye wrote:

I take mine off without removing my pants all the time.

I grab the butt of the gun and twist the barrel outward away from my leg, pushing down a bit so the belt hooks disengage and move out from my belt. Then, maintaining the outward pressure to keep the hooks from re-engaging, I pull upward, the release the pressure. Finally I grab the paddle itself with two hands, one on each side, and bend it to (somewhat) disengage the third hook, while pulling the holster up. That third hook usually still catches on the waist seam, but by pulling and twisting a little the holster pops free.

This is the older-style paddle, BTW, with the adjustable belthooks and stiffer paddle. The newer one (I have one of each), is much easier to remove and not as secure.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have one of each type. The newer type I hate. The old type I originally removed the two hooks for easier on/off, but since buying a gun belt and adjusting the hooks at the bottom setting, if someone pulls on the holster, it slides up and the hooks catch. When I remove it, I remove the pistol first, then pull outwards on the bottom of the holster just enough to slide the hooks over the bottom edge of my belt. Then I slide my left hand inside my waistband, palm facing my torso, and use my finger tis to give a little pressure towards my torso to get the inside hook to clear and slide it up and off. It's a two hand job,but it isvery secure against any grab and comes off fairly easily now that I have had a year of practice.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I have one of each type. The newer type I hate. The old type I originally removed the two hooks for easier on/off, but since buying a gun belt and adjusting the hooks at the bottom setting, if someone pulls on the holster, it slides up and the hooks catch. When I remove it, I remove the pistol first, then pull outwards on the bottom of the holster just enough to slide the hooks over the bottom edge of my belt. Then I slide my left hand inside my waistband, palm facing my torso, and use my finger tis to give a little pressure towards my torso to get the inside hook to clear and slide it up and off. It's a two hand job,but it isvery secure against any grab and comes off fairly easily now that I have had a year of practice.

I just do it with one hand :)lol:hold your comments), one quick yank will do it, but firm :)celebratehold the comments once again)

TJ

Evil Ernie

imported post

I've used the paddle on mine now for a week, and it's very comfortable. But, it's a PIA to remove, so I'm trying the belt carrier for a week to see if I like that any better...

Weak 9mm

imported post

I often use the belt carrier, but I don't think it's quite as stable if you're going to be doing a lot of activity. Not that I'm saying it's in any way unstable. I can still move quickly if needed for short times. I'm using it for a G17, so I think it should be similarly ok for you as well.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I have a G19 in mine and it has been wonderful so far except getting the paddle off is a PITA as others have stated. In the event that you actually need to use that as a retention feature it can be a good thing. Very comfortable holster I must say.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I wear a 1911 on the serpa belt carrier. I've tried the paddle and don't like the way it feels. I just had a new belt made. Its 3/8's of an inch thick and 1.5 inches wide. No worries about sagging or movement.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
I wear a 1911 on the serpa belt carrier. I've tried the paddle and don't like the way it feels. I just had a new belt made. Its 3/8's of an inch thick and 1.5 inches wide. No worries about sagging or movement.

I use the paddle when I am running cause it's firmer the the hip. I love my Serpa holsters and recommend them ANY day. I have the Shoulder holster Harness by Serpa as well. For better concealment (as a shoulder holster) I do carry in a Gould&Goodrich shoulder holster. The Serpa shoulder holster is quite bulky so I only OC that outside on any Garment for sure.

TJ

UTOC-45-44

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:

I use the paddle when I am running cause it's firmer the the hip. I love my Serpa holsters and recommend them ANY day. I have the Shoulder holster Harness by Serpa as well. For better concealment (as a shoulder holster) I do carry in a Gould&Goodrich shoulder holster. The Serpa shoulder holster is quite bulky so I only OC that outside on any Garment for sure.

TJ

UTOC-45-44

imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
I recently bought my first (hint) Serpa and love it. My only complaint is that they don't make one to fit my S&W 629 ;)

:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:Damn you...I WANT A 629 TOOOOOOOOO:cuss::cuss:.You just HAD to bring up 629 ,didn't ya:banghead:......:lol:....:lol:.

Now I can't sleep cuz I have to dream about HOW I can come up with the $$$ for it AGAIN.

That's a NICE piece of firearm. One of my dream guns. Still can't afford it:X:X:X:X:X

TJ

Pointman

imported post

(Laughing at TJ's response)

Attachments

• 44-2.png
    44-2.png
    111.1 KB · Views: 1,135

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Pointman wrote:
(Laughing at TJ's response):

I'll beopen carrying the super-huge 1911 at a party this weekend, waiting for someone to say, "That's obnoxious!" in front of a group of people so I can put on my shoulder-holster and OC my little friend.

Colt Anaconda, .44 mag.

DO IT, DO IT, DO IT :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

TJ

P.S Where is the Tri-pod for it ??:lol:D.S