• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SERPA Review

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
I recently bought my first (hint) Serpa and love it. My only complaint is that they don't make one to fit my S&W 629 ;)

Now I can't sleep cuz I have to dream about HOW I can come up with the $$$ for it AGAIN.
TJ,

LOL...

So I guess it wouldn't help any to tell you that soon after getting my 629 Mountain Gun that it has quickly become my favorite handgun in my collection....? :celebrate

I know what you mean though - now that I have one I want another and/or a Model 29. I just don't like the prices I see on them enough to get another one... yet.

As for holstering the 629 w/o a Serpa, I'm probably going to get one from Simply Rugged out of Alaska. http://www.simplyrugged.com/index.html

UTOC-45-44

imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
I recently bought my first (hint) Serpa and love it. My only complaint is that they don't make one to fit my S&W 629 ;)

Now I can't sleep cuz I have to dream about HOW I can come up with the $$$ for it AGAIN.
TJ,

LOL...

So I guess it wouldn't help any to tell you that soon after getting my 629 Mountain Gun that it has quickly become my favorite handgun in my collection....? :celebrate

I know what you mean though - now that I have one I want another and/or a Model 29. I just don't like the prices I see on them enough to get another one... yet.

SHUT UP..:idea:...:idea:

Just RUB it in DON'T YA...:cuss:....:lol:.

I would like to get the 629 in a 4" barrel....sweeeet.

Next time I'm in CO Springs ( I was there last year for the Ballon Festival) we'll just have to spend some $$$ on the ammo and just have to try it out, right:quirky. I'll bring my Henry 44Mag rifle and my 44Mag Ruger Vaquero 5'5 barrel:celebrate

TJ

(I'll bring some cold ones too)

DocV

imported post

This post as well as several others influenced my decision to buy a SERPA for the weapon I would typically OC (SIG P220). I pickedone up yesterday at a place here in town. I installed the paddle and made adjustments per the directions that came with it.

I have one question about the paddle hooks. How do you adjust the two belt hooks? It appears that they can be adjusted up and down based on the width of your carry belt. Do you simply turn them? There was nothing in the enclosed instructions and I didn't find anything on the website. I don't want to start tweaking on something and have it break.

It's very comfortable and seems to be very secure.

Thanks for your time.

DocV

Eagleeye

imported post

DocV wrote:
How do you adjust the two belt hooks? It appears that they can be adjusted up and down based on the width of your carry belt. Do you simply turn them? There was nothing in the enclosed instructions and I didn't find anything on the website. I don't want to start tweaking on something and have it break.
Flat Bladed Screwdriver, Insert in the slot on the hook and twist either direction 1/2 turn, them move them to where you want them then do the same in reverse, I prefer them in the default large setting so the holster is easyer to for me to remove.
(dosn't deminish the ability to prevent any unwanted persons from removing it)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Eagleeye wrote:
DocV wrote:
How do you adjust the two belt hooks? It appears that they can be adjusted up and down based on the width of your carry belt. Do you simply turn them? There was nothing in the enclosed instructions and I didn't find anything on the website. I don't want to start tweaking on something and have it break.
Flat Bladed Screwdriver, Insert in the slot on the hook and twist either direction 1/2 turn, them move them to where you want them then do the same in reverse, I prefer them in the default large setting so the holster is easyer to for me to remove.
(dosn't deminish the ability to prevent any unwanted persons from removing it)
Seems that is going to depend on the style of paddle you have. Mine and my buddies both have phillips head screws holding the hooks. You remove the screw, adjust the hook, then reinsert and tighten the screw.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Now I really want a serpa, but my options suck.

I have a Glock 21SF with the 1913 picatinny rail. I really wish I knew they offered it with a standard rail before I bought it, but that's neither here nor there.

So here are my options:

A level 2 duty holster: http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-bw-ht-bebfbe.html
Because this comes with only a duty mount, which permanently screws onto a duty belt, I will need to buy a paddle mount, and as far as I can tell that means I need to buy an additional serpa.

A Tactical Thigh holster: http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-bw-ht-430526bk-r.html
I could only ever see myself using this at the range, so again I would need a paddle mount.

However I was given a little bit of inspiration from some guy at the gun shop. He used a dremel and some JB weld to modify his serpa to accomidate a 1911 with a full tactical rail. So now I'm considering ordering the standard serpa for the Glock 21 ( http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-bw-ht-ffbaae.html ) and seeing what I can do with a dremel. That way if it works I saved myself $50 or more, and if it doesn't then I already have the paddle and belt holster for the duty model.

What do you think?

Cue-Ball

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
A trick......................take off the two "hooks" that are on the top part and it will be easier to take off but it will stay on secure and safe. I carry like that, matter of fact I ran with it like that tonight:celebrate
I actually kept the two hooks near the top that hook to the belt, but used a dremel to file down the single hook at the bottom center a bit. I had found that the bottom hook was the main thing making the holster hard to remove. With it filed down a little the top hooks grab my belt and prevent the holster from being easily removed by a gun-grabber, but it's easier to take off when I need to take it off since the bottom hook doesn't catch.

I just wish the damn thing didn't stick out so far! It makes fastening my seatbelt difficult.

Pointman

DocV

imported post

Thanks for the responses. I have the hooks that turn with a flat bladed screw driver. Made the adjustments.

DocV

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Why in the world would youremove the retention hooks on your SERPA holster? Didn't you buy your holster for its retention features? Unless you change clothes 3 times a day there's not a lot of hassle with taking the holster off. The extra hassle is worth it to have a holster that's going to stay put if a bad guy tries to take your gun, don't you think? If you remove the hooks you're risking a bad guy getting your gun AND your holster.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pointman wrote:
asforme wrote:
A level 2 duty holster: http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-bw-ht-bebfbe.html
Because this comes with only a duty mount, which permanently screws onto a duty belt, I will need to buy a paddle mount, and as far as I can tell that means I need to buy an additional serpa.

Hold your mouse over Holsters - Injection Molded Accessories, click on Hardware, click on CQC Paddle w/Screws. I believe the clip can be replaced with the paddle.

Normally I'd say "buy a CQC holster," but they're discontinued. :what:
Apparently my last link got jacked up. I can get the CQC holster for the Glock 21, which is what I'm going to try to modify to fit my 1913 rail.

http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-bw-ht-ffbaae.html

DocV

imported post

As I said, I got the hooks adjusted and I have been using all week end. I am very happy with it. It's very comfortable and feels very secure. If I snug my belt up a bit it pulls it in close enough that a large golf shirt can casually conceal it if necessary (haven't found it necessarry yet). I'm glad I listened to you guys.

DocV

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DocV wrote:
As I said, I got the hooks adjusted and I have been using all week end. I am very happy with it. It's very comfortable and feels very secure. If I snug my belt up a bit it pulls it in close enough that a large golf shirt can casually conceal it if necessary (haven't found it necessarry yet). I'm glad I listened to you guys.

DocV
I have found that a good gunbelt makes the SERPAs all that more comfortable and stable.

DocV

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I have found that a good gunbelt makes the SERPAs all that more comfortable and stable.

I concur. I'm findingthe dress and casual belts I have don't have enough "oomph" to support the SERPA and a full size weapon.

I do have one of those "Wilderness Instructor" style web belts The SERPA is great with it in casual clothes that have wide enough belt loops. I just ordered one of the Blackhawk lizard finish dress belts. We'll see how that works with a suit/dressier slacks.

DocV

SpringerXDacp

imported post

I'd like to have a SERPA CQC for my S&W 1911, 5" 45, but it appears that much of the gun is exposed(between the hammer and extraction port) as compared to the SERPA for the G20 and G21, for example.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
I'd like to have a SERPA CQC for my S&W 1911, 5" 45, but it appears that much of the gun is exposed (between the hammer and extraction port) as compared to the SERPA for the G20 and G21, for example.

That is due to the fact that Glocks don have the Thumb Safety that you and I have on our 1911's.

It works well though. I use mine every day

TJ

MetalChris

imported post

I got my Serpa yesterday...wore it around the house for about 2 hours. I have yet to muster the courage to actually wear it in public, but now that I have an appropriate holster for public OC it's only a matter of time! :)