• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SERPA Review

Evil Ernie

imported post

Found an issue with my CQC. I have a Taurus PT99AF which I found out doesn't fit properly in a holster made for the Beretta 92/96. Seems the trigger guard is a bit thicker on the Taurus thus not allowing it to lock into place. Anyone else have or seen this issue? I'm thinking of lightly filing down the catch to accomodate the guard, but not sure if I want to do this.

Now the CQC for the PT1911 fits perfectly. Snug fit right up against my flab..LOL

Chkultr

imported post

I just got the cqc blackhawk serpa for a 1911. I need to cut off 1 1/2" to accomodate my Kimber. I am not sure I am going to like this holster for the simple fact that is makes my sidearm sit up a lot higher than the leather holster I am replacing. Any thoughts?

Weak 9mm

imported post

My CC instructor today (A very experienced and funny individual) had about 50 different holsters of all sorts of types and from many different manufacturers out on a table for anyone to look at. He showed all of them, demonstrated how they were worn, etc. But again and again, he kept praising and recommending the SERPA. When asked directly what he would use, he said he prefers to use the SERPA above all of his other holsters, even for his J-Frame.

He also kept talking about how good the 9mm is. He's definitely my kind of dude. :p

tattedupboy

imported post

Eagleeye wrote:
(Gun used: Glock 22)

So far, I Like It.

It's much lower profile than the cordura Bianchi Paddle holster I was using, It is a LOT nicer to Draw/Reholster with, the lack of a thumb break is nice, and it is a whole lot more comfortable.
(hardly notice it's there much of the time.)

My only gripe (minor one) is with the paddle, it's a pain in the :cuss: to take off without taking my pants off first.
But this is also a good thing, as no one will be able to just walk up and rip it off.

In all I give it 5 out of 5.
Get the belt loop type. In fact, aren't Serpas made so that the paddle can be removed and replaced with a belt loop attachment?

Weak 9mm

imported post

The one I bought came with both, I'm pretty sure they all do now. The new ones have a much larger paddle than the original version too. But yes, you can easily switch the holster between any of their holster attachments as far as I know, and of course you can angle it a bit depending upon how you like it to sit.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well an email response from blackhawk today confirmed that they have no intentions to make a Serpa for the Glock 21sf with the picatinny rail any time soon. And since there is now a 21sf with the standard Glock rail, I doubt they ever will.

I think now I'm going to buy a cheap serpa sportster and see if I can dremmel it to fit my Glock.

Chkultr

imported post

Pointman wrote:
Chkultr wrote:
I just got the cqc blackhawk serpa for a 1911. I need to cut off 1 1/2" to accomodate my Kimber. I am not sure I am going to like this holster for the simple fact that is makes my sidearm sit up a lot higher than the leather holster I am replacing. Any thoughts?

Pertaining to the 1911 CQC and a Para 14.45 with 5" barrel, I like that the CQC rides higher because when I sit down the barrel isn't jammed into a plush seat. I also like the large paddle better than the belt attachment (which also works very well) because the gun stays with me better when I move, and the torque of the gun pulling away from my side is greatly reduced.

I'm going to use a heat gun to relax the front, because the CQC tightly pinches the dust cover up front and will wear away the finish over time, much like leather would were I using a leather holster.

They make a service loop to replace the paddle and belt loop which makes the CQC holster ride lower. One holster, many options.

As far as cutting down the holster is concerned, use a fine-toothed blade on a band saw if possible. If you don't have a band saw, cut very slowly with the blade mounted backwards in a 7-1/4" or 10" miter saw. The object is to melt the plastic rather that take big chunks out. Then file the plastic edges and round them with the heat from a lighter or candle flame.
Thanks for the great info. I have access to both a miter and bandsaw, but now I am thinkin about using the scroll saw! Even finer blades!

I think I am seeing what you are talking about on the wear! I see signs already and I just got this holster Sat. aft.

As far as the riding high and the barrell pushing into a seat...I have a 3" barrell so I don't think it will be a problem....It is growing on me..Only time will tell.

HighCaliber

imported post

I carry my Sig P228 in a Serpa CQC with the belt loops. I like it. My only complaint is that it rattles.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've had my new Blackhawk CQC SERPA holster for my XD for about a week, now; and I like it very much. I've chosen to use the belt loop mount as opposed to the paddle mount, because the paddle mount is rather large by comparison and it either gets in the way of my pockets or won't fit between belt loops on my pants. I had hoped to use the paddle mount more often because we're not allowed to have guns at work and I wanted to be able to slip it on when I left; but I've found that I can loosen my belt enough in my car to add the bellt loop version of the holster without too much difficulty. I've found the rig overall to be comfortable and quite good at holding my XD in place.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pointman wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:
....the paddle mount is rather large by comparison and it either gets in the way of my pockets or won't fit between belt loops on my pants. I had hoped to use the paddle mount more often because we're not allowed to have guns at work and I wanted to be able to slip it on when I left; ....
The inside of the paddle is designed to fit between the wearer and their pants, and the outside fits over the belt. This means the paddle will fit over belt loops and does not need to fit between belt loops.

To remove the paddle, use DeepDiver's method posted on May 11, 2008 in this thread, which is even easier if you can rotate the paddle instead of pulling it straight off.
Thanks. You know, it would really have been nice if the manufacturer had put instructions in the box instead of the several pages of legal disclaimers.

Mike M.

imported post

I have a SERPA for my GLOCK 17 and my Smith & Wesson M&P 45, and i love it. No problems. I will agree that the paddle is a pain in the ass to remove though, but after a while ya just get used to it.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

All this stuff takes time to learn and some of it is not immediately obvious. That is a good reason to belong to forums such as this one where we exchange a lot of information and help each other learn or reinforce lessons we may be apt to forget or ignore.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pointman wrote:
I also found there is no good way to get the paddle and holster to work with the wrap-around seats in my wife's truck. Being armed would be even worse.
Ran into this same problem in my vehicle. Fortunately, because I'm cheap, and didn't buy all of the bells and whistles for the audio system, there's a space exactly the right size in the dashboard, just under the CD player, to stick the gun while I'm driving. It's exceptionally convenient and doesn't bounce around or come out.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well I just picked up my CQC for a Glock 21. I had to do some dremeling to make it fit my Glock 21SF with the 1913 Picatinny rails. I cut along two corners on the back side of the holster so that when the gun is in the holster there is room for it to expand. Then I sanded the bottom of the holster where the rail fits to thin it out a bit. It's still a bit tight, but after leaving the gun in it for a while the draw is very smooth now. And the front of the holster did not need to be cut at all so it looks perfectly normal.

I set the cant to full forward and wear it on the paddle and it is the best holster I have ever used.