• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Commonwealth 20

esmart

imported post

My friend takes out his cell phone and asupressor, and acts like he's threading the supressor onto his cell phone antenna.

now that's funny, I don't care who ya are (Larry the Cable Guy)

Chkultr

imported post

signs like that just make honest people criminals! :shock::D Hell i thought all is good in gods country! My inlaws live close to the xmas tree farm in Powhatan. Anywhere that still honors lee jackson day and another for king day should let you carry anywhere!!!:p

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't go to the theater often for many reasons having nothing to do with firearms. I went recently to a theater I had heard is posted (in MO violating a no guns posting is not a criminal act such as trespassing - they can only ask you to leave and only if you refuse can there be any consequences). I scoped the box office. No signs. Waited in line and got tickets. Didn't see any signs there. Walked in the doors, no signs on the doors. Concession stand, ditto. Only "ban signs" I saw were on the door into the theater itself which were no pics and turn off cell phones.

We get seated and my buddy asks if I saw any no firearms signage and I said something like, "No, I didn't, and if you did, tell me about it and destroy my plausible deniability, I swear I'll punch you in the nose." :p

Repeater

imported post

From the Regal "Investor Relations" web site:

Regal Entertainment Group Completes Acquisition of Consolidated TheatresKnoxville, Tennessee - April 30, 2008 -- Regal Entertainment Group (NYSE: RGC), a leading motion picture exhibitor owning and operating the largest theatre circuit in the United States, today announced that it has completed the acquisition of Consolidates Theatres. Regal acquired a total of 28 theatres representing 400 screens in exchange for approximately $210 million in cash. The acquisition of the Consolidated circuit will enhance Regal's presence in Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia.
"We expect the acquisition of Consolidated's circuit will be accretive to cash flows and earnings and are pleased to announce another acquisition of high quality assets that continues to demonstrate our ability to execute Regal's business strategy," stated Mike Campbell, CEO of Regal Entertainment Group.
That's a whole lot of movie screen where gun are banned, potentially.

KnightSG7 wrote:
Well, Commonwealth 20 (off of Hull Street) was very gun friendly, but in the last 3 weeks, they were bought out by Regal.

Now there are 2 signs (that you have to look for) that state:

So....It is now a No-Go :?

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
I'm anxious to check out the Regal Short Pump to see if its posted....
Regal Short Pump is posted.

If the managemnet were to determine that I was carrying concealed (not likely), the only risk that I run is being charged with trespassing if I then refused to leave when asked to do so.

The risk is negligable so I am sure that you can conclude what I do. Would I prefer to OC - probably as I like to spread the word - but until that changes I will not provide some a-hole with an unarmed victim.

Yata hey
Where is it posted there? I was just there today, granted I wasn't OC but I didn't see a sign near the entrance or on the door?

sccrref

imported post

Chkultr wrote:
A friend of mine works at the theaters here in the Beach. Columbus Station....She said it is posted here also. I would bet that ALL Regal Cinemas are posted!
I have been to some her in VA Bch and also when I travel to Jaxbch FL and they are all posted. Usually it is a very small sign and you must really look carefully to see it. The ones in FL are posted behind reflective material on the glass windows and are damn near impossible to see if you are not really looking hard for them.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Don't see how a sign hidden from common observation qualifies.
If a sign the size of a postage stamp were placed at the top corner of a little used door, this would be much the same thing.

That is exactly why a few states have "approved" signs - others are meaningless.

Yata hey

Thundar

imported post

Damn it. This sign would make me leave my back up gun (bug) in the car since it prohibits firearms. :banghead:

With the bug in the car I would only have a firearm.:D

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thundar wrote:
Damn it. This sign would make me leave my back up gun (bug) in the car since it prohibits firearms. :banghead:

With the bug in the car I would only have a firearm.:D
I laugh at the red circle-slash signs that have a revolver...I carry a semi-auto.

IanB

imported post

ccunning wrote:
I just noticed the sign also says:
Please respect the rights of others

Uh huh.
Right.

Huh? Are you saying you think your 2A rights trump their private property rights?

I decided years ago that Netflix was the way to go. Let those theaters die like the dinosaurs they are. I can watch the movie in a comfy chair, that's not coated in coke syrup and popcorn kernels, rewind, pause,AND have my gun with me.

RedKnightt

imported post

I agree with yonder nakedshoplifter. I feel a business has the right to post "no weapons/guns/firearms/lollipops/whatever" and has the expectation (even if the sign does not carry the weight of law) to have that respected. I wil respect the wishes of a business who so posts and not carry my firearm in there. Unfortunately for them, I tend to carry my wallet on the same large body that carries my firearm, so no firearm=no money spent.

They have a reasonable right to have thier property rights respected, and I have an equal right to spend my money somewhere else. Thier loss.

-RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: "We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything."

ThunderRanch

imported post

I agree with the notion that I will respect the wish of a business to place their sign. Of course, unless I happen to be pasing through a metal detector, the weapon then just becomes concealed. Or I will simply shop elsewhere.

I think perhaps I will start asking the local businesses who wish to post to also post the attached sign in a very conspicuous place!

[align=left]
[/align]

Attachments

• crime_zone.pdf
    10.6 KB · Views: 102

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ThunderRanch wrote:
I agree with the notion that I will respect the wish of a business to place their sign. Of course, unless I happen to be pasing through a metal detector, the weapon then just becomes concealed. Or I will simply shop elsewhere.

I think perhaps I will start asking the local businesses who wish to post to also post the attached sign in a very conspicuous place!
Don't ask....Don't tell....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Been holding back on this one for a bit.

Property rights - yes but you invited the public as long as they obey the laws and your rules.. You become what is known in some circles as Quasa Public. That is to say your store/shop is private but acting as if it were public. As such you forfeit certain rights in your store(quasa public) that you would not be giving up regarding your (private) home.

In your home (private) you may choose to not invite members of certain ethnic groups, religions, or any other particular class of people; however in your store (quasa) you would be breaking the law if you did so.

Our right to possess/carry weapons is specifically confirmed in the Bill of Rights, yet owners of these quasa public establishments are allowed to effectively suspend our 2nd Amendment right if we cross their threshold.

Open to the public! I don't think so - not certain people!
Now I do understand what a protected class is and I am not suggesting that gun owners be added to a list of protected classes. But I do think that there is something wrong with the system when an establishment's management can say we gladly welcome everybody if you will leave one of the Bill of Rights outside!

I will not accept that "Property Rights" trump the Bill of Rights on quasa public property any more than public property.

Yata hey

JosephMingle

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
[...] I will not accept that "Property Rights" trump the Bill of Rights on quasa public property any more than public property.

Yata hey

Agree. Now let's pound the legislators to get it fixed.

If it's not a private club and the owner opens his door to the public to generate revenue... why should I have leave my gun at the door (so to speak). Are any other civil rights so summarily dumped at a proprietor’s door? Malls are a major sore spot on this for me. Ever try to find the owner of the mall? I can’t even find a manager[/i] of a mall…

RedKnightt

imported post

Actually, and unfortunately, you "dump" several civil liberties when you enter a mall or other "quasa public" (sic) place, also known as a place of public accomodation. While the Civil Rights Act says you (the property owner/agent) can't prevent access based on protected class (race, gender, religion, etc.), other restrictions are allowed.

The owner/agent can ban smoking, weapons, non-service animals, outside food (my pet peeve of theatres which I never break.. honest.. really), etc. They can search your bags, prevent you from handing out literature or carrying picket or protest signs, and they can even require shoes/shirts, etc. Hell, there are some restaurants that require you to wear a tie. They may have awesome food, but I'll never know. Now, of course you have the right to tell them "No" on any of these points, at which point they have the legal right to ask you to leave.

Some headway has been made against this. There are some recent lower court rulings that posit that the shopping mall is the successor to the town square, and as such, certain things like protests can be allowed within certain limitations. It's not a huge step like Heller, but it is a foot in the door.

-RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: "We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything."

AbNo

imported post

DrMark wrote:
A friend and I were shooting at the local range, and then went to an afternoon movie (at a Regal theater).   He shoots a lot of supressed stuff, both rifle and pistol. 

No one was around where we were sitting in the theater.  As the opening announcement were playing, we were advised by a voice from the screen "Please silence your cell phones."

My friend takes out his cell phone and a supressor, and acts like he's threading the supressor onto his cell phone antenna.

:shock: :lol: