• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dickson City, PA police conduct Katrina style gun confiscation!

sccrref

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
Since one of the folks who had their sidearm seized was a gunsmith, therefore an FFL, it becomes a Federal charge:

Section 923 (g), Title 18 USC requires each Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) to report the theft/loss of a firearm from the licensee, within 48 hours of discovery to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) by calling 1-888-930-9275 and to local law enforcement authorities.
Hopefully this was done lest it come back and haunt him for not doing it. I hope that all turns out well. Namely that the LEOs involved get charged and prosecuted in both civil and criminal courts. A few bad eggs ruin it for all of the good ones. Hopefully the blue wall will come down and get pissed off about a few rogue officers ruining the good reputation of the honest officers.

ne1

imported post

Good job guys! The only thing I'd like to add is the following in reference to the threatsof arrest for recording the incident:

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/541.asp

It is disappointing thatthe fourth estate is conspicuously much too silent regarding the current events.

Butlerite

imported post

sccrref wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
Since one of the folks who had their sidearm seized was a gunsmith, therefore an FFL, it becomes a Federal charge:

Section 923 (g), Title 18 USC requires each Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) to report the theft/loss of a firearm from the licensee, within 48 hours of discovery to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) by calling 1-888-930-9275 and to local law enforcement authorities.
Hopefully this was done lest it come back and haunt him for not doing it. I hope that all turns out well. Namely that the LEOs involved get charged and prosecuted in both civil and criminal courts. A few bad eggs ruin it for all of the good ones. Hopefully the blue wall will come down and get pissed off about a few rogue officers ruining the good reputation of the honest officers.
I think that you will hear that the theft was reported on Saturday (May 10th).

Deanimator

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Shocking....

From what I have read... and if the facts are as stated... this was a rotten situation and handled poorly by the police.

In regards to holding the gun for proof of ownership.... I would love to see how this is going to be justified.

Unless there was some credible evidence to prove or even believeit was not his gun.... there is no reason tocompel himto prove his property belongs to him. This could go for an IPOD or even a bicycle that you could be using in public.

Looks like some remedial training is in order.
And the best training comes from the civil courts!

Guillotine!

spurrit

imported post

We need to bring back flogging for those that abuse Government positions. Make the bastards glad they don't live in Asia.

bobcat

imported post

This one is going to be interesting to watch. These cops were so way off base, it's hard to believe it actually happened. -But I do, because I've had a friend go through this in Colorado while OC'g. He won his legal case, but that's about it.

At the very least, these cops should be pulled off street duty and put on desk duty. The results of the pending prosecution and litigation should fully relieve them of their duties.

IMAO, these are not the kind of folks that should be cops. They obviously didn't understand very basic laws and how to handle this kind of situation. It appears many preconceived notions about PA code, civil rights and property rights were on display.

If the facts are as they appear, those cops are cooked and maybe some admin as well. It appears all kinds of charges are possible, just a matter of putting public pressure on the DA and/or US Attorney to press charges? Plenty of evidence and witnesses.

Then the civil suits. Oh, my. The local .gov may end up vanquishing a large quantity of dollars. Civil rights attorneys live for cases like this.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Mike (and John),

You may or may not recognize how much I support OC, but I for one think that the "Sieg Heil" titling is over the top.

"We DEMAND your papers!" or somesuch would be more effective IMHO, considering that the title of the press release can be used as strong proof by the anti-gun media (and antis in general) to once again portray "us" as crazed wackos.

Why bring in Hitler? Who is the primary audience and who is the secondary audience?

It just seems to me like the collateral damage of a release titled as such is considerable.

I just don't think that hitting Joe Clueless (or Joe Care Less) over the head in this manner is going to sway him our way.

C4talyst

imported post

I hate political correctness...I think it's one of the problems with this country that's brought us to where we are today. The thread title is very fitting and appropriate.

On another note...I sent an email to the Chief of the Dickson Police department too.

spurrit

imported post

BB62 wrote:
Mike (and John),

You may or may not recognize how much I support OC, but I for one think that the "Sieg Heil" titling is over the top.

"We DEMAND your papers!" or somesuch would be more effective IMHO, considering that the title of the press release can be used as strong proof by the anti-gun media (and antis in general) to once again portray "us" as crazed wackos.

Why bring in Hitler?

Well, let's see..... WHO demanded that allguns and all citizens be registered, and papers be carried and shown on demand?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

spurrit wrote:
BB62 wrote:
Mike (and John),

Why bring in Hitler?

Well, let's see..... WHO demanded that allguns and all citizens be registered, and papers be carried and shown on demand?
Hillary? :D

spurrit

imported post

You turd! I avoided watching the news all day, so I could stop thinking about her and the golden (bronze?) boy!

sprat

imported post

don't know about Lou Dobbs

but Glenn beck would sure mention it, catch his full week on the 2nd amendment both on the radio and TVfor therecordhe carries concealed.

Pa Patriot you are in all of our thoughts and prayers

sprat

Thundar

imported post

Bad police abuse citizens rights. This is a story...but

Don't miss the REAL STORY here.

1. PA hassome sort ofanti-private handgun regulation.

2. PA State police maintain a "database".

3. Police use the database as probable cause to seize citizens firearms. (The story does not give a police reason for the seizure, but if it was less than probable cause, then we are into a much larger issue.)

Real Story: PA INCIDENT CLEARLY SHOWS THE DANGER TO FREEDOM OF PROHIBITING PRIVATE TRANSFER OF PRIVATE PROPERTY (CLOSING THE "GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE" IN THE ANTI WORLD)

State mandated transfer of firearms = gun registration

Gun registration leads to Gun confiscation.

GlockJock

imported post

This issue is on the air in Scranton on WILK 103.1 with the chief and John from opencarry.org....

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

BB62 wrote:
Mike (and John),

BB62,

I understand your point completely. We were attempting to express the level of concern we had over the demand for "papers".

But, on the radio interview this morning, they asked that very question. "Sieg Heil ... isn't that a little over the top."

John

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Thundar wrote:
Bad police abuse citizens rights. This is a story...but

Don't miss the REAL STORY here.

1. PA hassome sort ofanti-private handgun regulation.

2. PA State police maintain a "database".

3. Police use the database as probable cause to seize citizens firearms. (The story does not give a police reason for the seizure, but if it was less than probable cause, then we are into a much larger issue.)

Real Story: PA INCIDENT CLEARLY SHOWS THE DANGER TO FREEDOM OF PROHIBITING PRIVATE TRANSFER OF PRIVATE PROPERTY (CLOSING THE "GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE" IN THE ANTI WORLD)

State mandated transfer of firearms = gun registration

Gun registration leads to Gun confiscation.
Thundar,

You have hit the hidden issue right on the head!! During my radio debate with the chief, he hinted at this very thing and called it "registration". It concerned me greatly!

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
Mr. Pierce and Mr. Stollenwork,

What can those of us in other states do to help out?

ED
I will think about it but for those who live too far away to drive to Dickson City tonight, the best thing to do right now is standby.

There are bound to be polls we need to hit, newspaper articles we need to comment on and LTE's to be written. Also, depending upon what happens, there may be legal fees to be paid by Rich.

For now, there isn't a lot that those outside the area can do except offer support.

Thanks for asking!