• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Welcome our new moderator! LEO229

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Pointman wrote:
Oh my god, I thoughtthe topicsaid "Doug Huffman."
Making Doug a mod would provide Balance to the Cosmos. :quirky
I know that Doug has not been happy with me for my efforts to keep the board focused on the mission as Mike and I see it.

But let us not forget that Doug, for all his recent dislike of me, is one of us! He believes passionately in the rights of gun owners and in the Constitution we hold so dear.

Doug's only issue is that he sees the injustice in so many aspects of government and feels compelled to act on all the issues while we at OCDO want to be as effective as possible by focusing on a "within-the-system" approach to gun-owner specific issues.

That is not to say that any of the issues that Doug raises are invalid or should not cause us, as freedom loving Americans, great concern. Mike and I just don't see there being any profit in allowing the forum to become so unfocused that it detracts from what we feel we CAN make a difference in.

But, just as I asked that LEO's be given the respect they deserve on here (unless they have demonstrated they do not deserve it ... see Dickson City PD), I will also ask that Doug be respected for the passionate civil rights activist he is.

PS. This is not a direct comment to Tomahawk or Pointman. I just thought this needed to be said and their comments provided a perfect segue.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
John and I have talked at length and I believe I understand what support he needs on the board to keep it running smoothly. I will not be changing into some censorship monster so you can rest easy. ;)

I am here for you as a moderator and as one who has years of experience in the law enforcement field.

You may feel free to call on me if you need any assistance. :D

As LEO 229 has said, we have spoken at length about the level of moderation that I like to see here and the specific issues that we have experienced over the last year. I am confident that he is sincere when he says that he will NOT censor anything that Mike, Longwatch, Bobcav or I would not censor.

It is great to have LEO 229 and our many other LEO members who are willing to give us the insight into the law enforcement mindset that we would otherwise not have. While we certainly do not have to agree with that mindset, by knowing how they feel they have to approach a given situation, we can address the issues proactively.

Lonnie and the others who have been going the "Training Memo" route are a great example of activism that can have enormous benefits for every single person who carries (OC or CC). By having an understanding of LEO concerns beforehand, these kinds of approaches can be tailored to be more effective and thus more effective.

We now have a strong moderator force here on OCDO who represent varied backgrounds and viewpoints who are all dedicated to keeping the forum focused on gun-owner issues, spam free and family friendly (but I wouldn't argue with the occasional picture of a bikini clad model holding a gun :) ). The number of moderators will almost certainly continue to grow as the forum does.

Thanks to all of the moderators for the time and hard work they put in here.

And thanks to all of our members for their dedication to protecting and enhancing the rights of gun-owners. I see that one person felt so upset about this announcement that they decided to leave us. I hate that. Every single gun-owner is welcome here and losing a member is never something that I like to see. But they are always welcome to return and I hope they consider it.

hekel

imported post

Congratulations LEO 229

swedishgungirls.jpg

Though im a new member here, I have been watching the forums for a lil while, and from what ive seen so far, LEO 229 seems to be a very calm, respectable and respectful man. He seems liek a good choice.

Personally I see no problem with an LEO being a moderator on these forums, regardless of a persons profession there are people on these forums who dont deserve to moderate them, and LEO 229 appears to be a fine example of an individual who does deserve it.

LEO 229

imported post

LEO 229 likes his welcoming gifts.....

He will choose the unit in the background.

Sleepless

imported post

OMG LEO229 a moderator??

May god help us all or as the apes said in Spaceballs "There goes the planet" :p

Just kidding, congrats LEO and I hope we will continue to have more amazing discussions in the forum as the years go by.

United we come, Divided we're screwed.

LETS PARTAY. :celebrate

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
"Within the system?" LOL, that's just tooo funny.
You may want to ask Benjamin Franklin, John Quincy Adams and crew how well THAT approach worked for them.
True. But they had seen every attempt at legal redress fail and found themselves at a point where no other option remained to them. We are nowhere near such a state.

Instead, we are at a point where that every time the government oversteps its bounds (as provided by current law), we are there to correct and educate them and it invariably ends up to the good of gun owners.

We are also in a position where the legal and judicial landscape for gun owners is improving all the time thanks to the efforts of dedicated activists.

A good example of the impact that gun-rights activists are having on society and the legal landscape is the progress of concealed carry laws.

Animated_Progress.gif

As for those who would choose a "revolutionary" all-or-nothing approach to gun rights, I will offer a small excerprt from an article I wrote several years ago:

[align=center]"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed, if you will not fight when your victory can be sure and not too costly, you may come to a moment when you have to fight with all the odds against you, and only a precarious chance to survive. There may even be a worse case - You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, and it will be better to perish than to live in slavery." - Winston Churchill[/align] When these gun owners are pressed about their true dedication to the cause of gun rights, they invariably offer the infamous "… from my cold dead fingers" or "They can have them … bullets first". To these people, I would like to say, "Please stop with the clichés! If your freedom means so little to you that you are not willing to fight for it politically, then do not insult my intelligence by claiming to be willing to lay down your life for it. "

I am not trying to sound harsh, but I feel that this has to be said. Activism works … complaining and whining about a cause that you were too obstinate to fight politically does not. It only reinforces the negative stereotypes about gun owners.

In closing, I should say that I do understand the sentiment behind the clichés. I too will fight to the end to preserve our 2[sup]nd[/sup] Amendment rights, but I will not wait until the battle has been lost to take the field.

cato

imported post

Congrats Bro! Resistance is futile! Leo229 has been assimilated!:lol:

or is the fox now in charge of the hen house?;):

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=1486&forum_id=54&jump_to=16391#p16391

As you can see from the name... I am a leo :uhoh:.. Please read this with an open mind.

I saw a news link and read allot of what was said. I like that Virginia gives out CCW permits. My wife has one. Open carry... It is cool.. I guess.. I am not sure why you feel the need to exercise this right in large groups.

This is not the wild, wild, west and with the way things are now with fights ending with gunfire.... people get a little uneasy seeing you and your gun. Case in point... that dumb ass marine of 57 years.

It is amazing how training is different from one department to the next. The officer that responded to your location had something to prove.. I guess. He should have spoken with asenior officer unless he knew for sure it was a criminal violation.

And yes... we do feel like you are out there testing the waters so you can post your findings tofurther your cause. I can only imagine the purpose would be so the police are educated to the point you can walk around without being hassled.

From the leo point of view... we hate having to drive to your location and look in on you to be sure the public is safe and your not out to do harm.Many departments require a written report as well. The public will call... we must respond. You are wasting our time so that you can tote your gun in the open.

If you have a CCW... use it. I carry my gun at all times but hidden from view. I have no compulsion to expose it to the public. I do not want to warn anyone I am armed. I like that the public can be armed and protect their families while out. But flaunting it is not the way to go.

I hope this provides somekind of understanding.

imperialism2024

imported post

cato wrote:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=1486&forum_id=54&jump_to=16391#p16391

As you can see from the name... I am a leo :uhoh:.. Please read this with an open mind.

I saw a news link and read allot of what was said. I like that Virginia gives out CCW permits. My wife has one. Open carry... It is cool.. I guess.. I am not sure why you feel the need to exercise this right in large groups.

This is not the wild, wild, west and with the way things are now with fights ending with gunfire.... people get a little uneasy seeing you and your gun. Case in point... that dumb ass marine of 57 years.

It is amazing how training is different from one department to the next. The officer that responded to your location had something to prove.. I guess. He should have spoken with asenior officer unless he knew for sure it was a criminal violation.

And yes... we do feel like you are out there testing the waters so you can post your findings tofurther your cause. I can only imagine the purpose would be so the police are educated to the point you can walk around without being hassled.

From the leo point of view... we hate having to drive to your location and look in on you to be sure the public is safe and your not out to do harm.Many departments require a written report as well. The public will call... we must respond. You are wasting our time so that you can tote your gun in the open.

If you have a CCW... use it. I carry my gun at all times but hidden from view. I have no compulsion to expose it to the public. I do not want to warn anyone I am armed. I like that the public can be armed and protect their families while out. But flaunting it is not the way to go.

:what:

(229's only been a member for 15 months?)

(That's about 15 posts per day... so not as much as I thought...)

(And thanks for adding the info about what that post was, cato... at first I thought you were writing that, and I was wondering what happened to you. Maybe Big Brother got to you or something?)

LEO 229

imported post

cato wrote:

[LEO 229 Wrote:] As you can see from the name... I am a leo :uhoh:.. Please read this with an open mind.

I am one with the board. :shock:

180px-Picard_as_Locutus.jpg

Ahhh.. My first post!!!

I have bolded thetext in my first post that have been answered or I now understand better.

I stand by the post. To Citizen and TH... I never removed it or changed it!! You better copy it now before I decide to alter it tonight. :lol:

LEO 229

imported post

irfner wrote:
Congratulations LEO229. Does this mean we could all be your deputies?
Resistance is futile! You will beassimilated!!

And when you have been I will be checking the SN on your gun. :lol: