• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to leave at Bellis Fair Mall in Bellingham

cut_cutta

imported post

Title pretty much says it all. I had been shopping w/ my gf, and she got cold and didn't have a jacket, so I let her wear mine. The jacket covers my XD45, but without a jacket, the shirt doesn't cover that well, and sometimes creeps up behind the grip, leaving me fully open, as far as carry goes. After we were done shopping, my gf decided to go to Hot Topic to buy a sweatshirt. I had a minor non-incident there, that was unrelated to my run-in with the security officer, but I'll tell it anyway because it adds to the series of events.

While checking out of hot topic, a lady that works their saw it and said "Is that real?". I replied, "Yep.". She asked if I was a police officer. I said "Do I look like one?" She then asked if that was legal. I said yeah. She asked if i had a license, I said yeah, but I don't need one. Then she started to ask me why I carried. I said "to protect myself, because you never know". She couldn't undestand that concept, and kept asking WHY i would need "THAT" at the innocent mall. I said "there's mall shootings all the time. There was one in tacoma within the last couple years, and one at northgate last month" (albeit in the parking lot). She starting yapping about how "yeah, well those shootings were because people like you were carrying a gun". I said "I'm not a psychopath though, I'm one of the good guys. I'll cover it up and leave." The guy behind the counter was agreeing with me, though, so I wasn't feeling totally accosted. Really, I didnt care about what they had to say about my law abiding ways of life, so I covered and left.

I stood in the middle of the mall, while my GF finished checking out. She handed me my jacket back, and while putting it on, my 45 apparently became exposed again. A security gaurd had been talking to some people right there, and apparently saw it. As I was starting to walk away, he approached me, and asked "Sir, what is that on your hip?". I stated, "a gun". He asked "Now sir, why do you feel the need to carry a gun here?". I said "for protection, cause nobody else is going to protect me". He paused for a few seconds, seemingly dumbfounded, so I continued, "Do you have a problem with that?". He stated, "Yes, actually I can't allow that to be in this facility, so I'm going to have to ask you to leave with it." I just said "Ok, I was just leaving anyway", and started walking away.

So I walked off casually with my girlfriend, through the food court, while the security dude followed about 30 feet back. Then, as I was trying to find my car, I saw a mall security SUV creeping slowly up the aisles, keeping its distance. They were just trying to make sure that I was actually leaving, I guess. At any rate, I don't believe I was banned from the mall or anything. I think they just wanted the gun out of the mall. I guess I should have asked more questions, but like I said, I was leaving anyway, so I didn't really feel like dealing with bullcrap. I really do believe that the 2 incidents were completely unrelated, but who knows.

Maybe I didn't handle the situation the best, or find out as much information as I could have about their policy, but I don't think I owe anybody anything, so it's all good. Just thought I'd let everybody know what happened (to the best of my recollection.

Looks as though this place will probably need to be added to the "do not patronize" database, if it hasn't been already.

uncoolperson

imported post

crappy dude, letter writing campaign?

Kinda funny considering you can buy a shotgun (or an 'assault rifle') there and (presumably) wander around with it.

cut_cutta

imported post

LOL that is funny. I doubt a letter writing campagne would do any good, it is BELLINGHAM we're talking about. They're closed off from the rest of Washington, and so close to Canada that the Canadians mentality regarding guns has rubbed off. Don't worry, the mounty-looking security gaurd with his mace will protect you, should anything go awry. :uhoh:

I hope the gaurds don't carry tasers, as that is against the law in bellingham. I'm not even sure about mace. Probably can't have a knife either. Thank god for pre-emption.

cut_cutta

imported post

I don't even know what the official policy is, and by "mall ninja", I assume you mean security gaurd. The guy wasn't an asshole, so I don't think its really fair to call him that. That's like calling every cop a Baconator, without ever meeting them. Regardless, I doubt the security gaurds make the policies, I don't know what led you to believe that. Almost every mall in this state technically doesn't allow firearms (but it is silly, as Uncool posted, that Big 5 sells rifles and shotguns).

I guess it does make you seem 'cool' to make fun of the security gaurds though, just ask any 15 year old that listens to ICP.

Bear 45/70

imported post

cut_cutta wrote:
I don't even know what the official policy is, and by "mall ninja", I assume you mean security gaurd. The guy wasn't an asshole, so I don't think its really fair to call him that. That's like calling every cop a Baconator, without ever meeting them. Regardless, I doubt the security gaurds make the policies, I don't know what led you to believe that. Almost every mall in this state technically doesn't allow firearms (but it is silly, as Uncool posted, that Big 5 sells rifles and shotguns).

I guess it does make you seem 'cool' to make fun of the security gaurds though, just ask any 15 year old that listens to ICP.
Most "Mall Ninjas" were taught the policies, but will embellish to make themselves feel important and without his supervisors concurrenceI would take his word for it. As to calling them Mall Ninjas, They strut around with their radio and mace/peper spray trying to convince you that they are making you safe. Reality says BS and I say BS, the very job is a joke.

cut_cutta

imported post

While I believe they cannot protect me, they still serve a purpose. I don't think it's good to make assumptions about people that one has not met. The guy seemed really nice and polite. I wouldn't say he was an assknob on a power trip or anything, just a normal guy trying to put in his 8 hours. I have to uphold stupid rules for the public at my job, too. It's part of being employed, I have to follow stupid rules, and if I can't find it in myself to do that, I could quit.

The way I see it, is if we make assumptions about every LEO or security gaurd, think of the assumptions that they must be making about every gun-toting american, or especially the ones on the internet? We wouldn't want them judging us preemptively, so why should we judge them, unless we've really 'gotten to know them' a bit.

Bear 45/70

imported post

cut_cutta wrote:
While I believe they cannot protect me, they still serve a purpose. I don't think it's good to make assumptions about people that one has not met. The guy seemed really nice and polite. I wouldn't say he was an assknob on a power trip or anything, just a normal guy trying to put in his 8 hours. I have to uphold stupid rules for the public at my job, too. It's part of being employed, I have to follow stupid rules, and if I can't find it in myself to do that, I could quit.

The way I see it, is if we make assumptions about every LEO or security gaurd, think of the assumptions that they must be making about every gun-toting american, or especially the ones on the internet? We wouldn't want them judging us preemptively, so why should we judge them, unless we've really 'gotten to know them' a bit.
Mall Ninjas are good for running of kids on skate boards off, but add any security to the situation, Not gonna happen. Oh yeah, it's their job to be nice.

cut_cutta

imported post

Duh, they are not there to be your personal bodygaurd. They are there to keep an eye on things, and have a word with people, maybe deal in a minor altercation. Do you really think their job is worthless? Should there be nobody keeping an eye on anything, or should we just have police officers roaming the mall in full body armor and riot gear?

But, if it makes you feel better to belittle other's jobs from behind your computer screen, and make assumptions about people you've never met, I guess "whatever diddles your fiddle".

So how bout them lasers? :celebrate

Bear 45/70

imported post

cut_cutta wrote:
Duh, they are not there to be your personal bodygaurd. They are there to keep an eye on things, and have a word with people, maybe deal in a minor altercation. Do you really think their job is worthless? Should there be nobody keeping an eye on anything, or should we just have police officers roaming the mall in full body armor and riot gear?

But, if it makes you feel better to belittle other's jobs from behind your computer screen, and make assumptions about people you've never met, I guess "whatever diddles your fiddle".

So how bout them lasers? :celebrate
The title "Mall security Gaurd"infers they are there to either improve or create security, they don't and can't. Please join the real world where bad guys have guns and mace ain't gonna get the job done.

cut_cutta

imported post

Uh. Why do you think I was carrying my gun on my hip? Why do you think I stated when the gaurd asked me why I was carrying a gun, "For protection, because nobody else is going to protect me". Maybe you couldn't sense the sarcasm in the second post of my thread when I said, "Don't worry, the mounty-looking security gaurd with his mace will protect you, should anything go awry. :uhoh:"

The police aren't going to protect me either. I can't count on anybody but myself. However, that doesn't mean that the security gaurds don't serve any purpose at all, is the point i'm making. Somebody has to atleast keep an eye on everything, and discourage bad behavior, shoplifting, etc. Just because you have more firepower and deadly potential than them does not make you a bigger person, or more of a man.

Really dude, you've had a lot of respect on these boards in the past, but lately you have proven yourself to be a hard-headed internet know-it-all tough-guy, who needs to belittle others who hold any paradigm that doesn't congruently fit with your own. You've lost a lot of respect from many people that DO live in the "real world", the same Earth as yourself... Only difference is we're not in our own universe, and the world doesn't revolve around us.

Bear 45/70

imported post

cut_cutta wrote:
Uh. Why do you think I was carrying my gun on my hip? Why do you think I stated when the gaurd asked me why I was carrying a gun, "For protection, because nobody else is going to protect me". Maybe you couldn't sense the sarcasm in the second post of my thread when I said, "Don't worry, the mounty-looking security gaurd with his mace will protect you, should anything go awry. :uhoh:"

The police aren't going to protect me either. I can't count on anybody but myself. However, that doesn't mean that the security gaurds don't serve any purpose at all, is the point i'm making. Somebody has to atleast keep an eye on everything, and discourage bad behavior, shoplifting, etc. Just because you have more firepower and deadly potential than them does not make you a bigger person, or more of a man.

Really dude, you've had a lot of respect on these boards in the past, but lately you have proven yourself to be a hard-headed internet know-it-all tough-guy, who needs to belittle others who hold any paradigm that doesn't congruently fit with your own. You've lost a lot of respect from many people that DO live in the "real world", the same Earth as yourself... Only difference is we're not in our own universe, and the world doesn't revolve around us.
I've lived a long time and there is nothing in the Constitution orany laws saying I have to respect Mall Ninja, much less anyone else. You earn respect by doing what you do and do it well. I never met a mall ninja that did any security job well. You live your way I'll continue to live my way which has worked way over half a century. But then I learned my way from mygrandfather and my dad, one a detective in Tacoma during the 1920s and the other a WWII combat survivor.

cut_cutta

imported post

But then I learned my way from my grandfather and my dad, one a detective in Tacoma during the 1920s and the other a WWII combat survivor.
Wow. That makes you pretty special. I bet you must get a lot of chicks by retelling all your daddies war stories... Really, what does it have to do with anything? It just shows your apparent belief that having a gun makes you a bigger man....

I've lived a long time and there is nothing in the Constitution or any laws saying I have to respect Mall Ninja, much less anyone else.
While that is true, it does tend to make one come across as a complete douche-nozzle.

You earn respect by doing what you do and do it well. I never met a mall ninja that did any security job well.
Here's where you and I differ. I believe that everybody should be treated with respect, until respect is lost. Respect towards other humans goes a lot farther than simply doing your job well. If you don't show respect, you get none in return. You seem to be learning this lesson the hard way, as you have been losing respect on this board in a linear (or possibly exponential?) fashion that is corelated to your lack of respect for others.

It's actually sad that I'm arguing with you about your lack of respect, considering I'm the young one here. I guess I'm wrong though, because I've only lived 24 years, and my pops was only in the merchant marines via military school, and my grandpa was only in the FBI and a WWII flight instructor, and my other grandpa was a lowly firefighter, and didn't carry enough guns to get respect. I guess they didnt kill enough people to gain any true knowledge of the world to pass on to me.

Bear 45/70

imported post

cut_cutta wrote:
But then I learned my way from my grandfather and my dad, one a detective in Tacoma during the 1920s and the other a WWII combat survivor.
Wow. That makes you pretty special. I bet you must get a lot of chicks by retelling all your daddies war stories... Really, what does it have to do with anything? It just shows your apparent belief that having a gun makes you a bigger man....

I've lived a long time and there is nothing in the Constitution or any laws saying I have to respect Mall Ninja, much less anyone else.
While that is true, it does tend to make one come across as a complete douche-nozzle.

You earn respect by doing what you do and do it well. I never met a mall ninja that did any security job well.
Here's where you and I differ. I believe that everybody should be treated with respect, until respect is lost. Respect towards other humans goes a lot farther than simply doing your job well. If you don't show respect, you get none in return. You seem to be learning this lesson the hard way, as you have been losing respect on this board in a linear (or possibly exponential?) fashion that is corelated to your lack of respect for others.

It's actually sad that I'm arguing with you about your lack of respect, considering I'm the young one here. I guess I'm wrong though, because I've only lived 24 years, and my pops was only in the merchant marines via military school, and my grandpa was only in the FBI and a WWII flight instructor, and my other grandpa was a lowly firefighter, and didn't carry enough guns to get respect. I guess they didnt kill enough people to gain any true knowledge of the world to pass on to me.
Never been in the military have you?

Bear 45/70

imported post

cut_cutta wrote:
What does that have to do with anything? Do you want to know the circumfrence of my penis, or any other pertinent information?
You really don't get it do you? You seem to be part of the problem rather than looking for the cure. I give up, with your attitude you can't or won't learnthat the real world isn't a nice place and respecting those who haven't earned it will get you guys like Obama running things. I suppose you respect gang bangers too?

cut_cutta

imported post

Actually I used to be in gangs, drug dealer by trade, though not a killer. Without respect, you get killed. Many people have tried or wanted to kill me, regardless, so I do know that the world isnt filled with gummy bears and butterflies. You don't even know how I view the world, so why would you make that assumption?

I respect everybody until they lose it. You sir, have lost mine. Here's to another 50+ years of being a grumpy old hate filled man, eh? Cheers.

Bear 45/70

imported post

cut_cutta wrote:
Actually I used to be in gangs, drug dealer by trade, though not a killer. Without respect, you get killed. Many people have tried or wanted to kill me, regardless, so I do know that the world isnt filled with gummy bears and butterflies. You don't even know how I view the world, so why would you make that assumption?

I respect everybody until they lose it. You sir, have lost mine. Here's to another 50+ years of being a grumpy old hate filled man, eh? Cheers.
If you think respect is the way gangs use it then you really are in shock. So you say you were a banger and a dealer, and you still can own guns, I find that hard to believe. Your type of respect I don't want or need. Keep it, you will need it someday real bad.