• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My old company’s anti-gun policy

power_shack

imported post

Three years ago I worked for a company in Northern VA. At the time, I had just finished my 5th year with them, and as part of completing five years you got to receive any gift up to $400. Having a need for a riflescope for the upcoming deer season, I asked them for a Leupold VX-II. In my mind, this should not have been an issue. It wasn’t like I was asking them for an actual gun.

I was shocked to find out that they had denied my request for the scope. When I questioned the head of HR about the denial, he said that the company had a policy against giving a gift that was weapons related. :cuss: I tried to explain to him that a scope, in and of itself, was not a danger to anyone. It got me nowhere.

I then talked to my manager and even one of the VP’s about it, but in the end I was not allowed to get the scope. This, of course, had me pretty mad and I let each of them know how ridicules this all was. In the end, I settled for a nice pair of Leupold binoculars. I thought about trying to mount them to my rifle in spite of them, but the logistics just didn’t work out. :D

My issues with this company had been building and I was already thinking about leaving the company. This ended up being the last straw, and I had a new job within 3 months. I’m glad to report that my new company is very pro-gun. One of the perks of this new company is that we can use the owner’s property for hunting and target shooting whenever we want!

Anyone else have any similar stories about an anti-gun company?

power_shack

imported post

I would rather not post the name of the company. They seem like the type that would sue me, with or without cause! If someone really wants to know, contact me off-line.

Yes, I considered the Amex gift card, or any gift card for that matter, but they legally could not provide cash, or a cash equivilent, like a gift card. Some sort of federal tax issue that lets them expense the gift without having to pay payroll taxes on it.

On another note, I heard of a company up in Northern MI (a local hotel), that each year for Christmas the owner buys each employee a new gun!!! My current company is good, but not that good!!!

C

ccloud43

imported post

power_shack wrote:
I’m glad to report that my new company is very pro-gun. One of the perks of this new company is that we can use the owner’s property for hunting and target shooting whenever we want!

Do they happen to have an office in Hampton Roads and have any openings:lol:

power_shack

imported post

ccloud43 wrote:
power_shack wrote:
I’m glad to report that my new company is very pro-gun. One of the perks of this new company is that we can use the owner’s property for hunting and target shooting whenever we want!

Do they happen to have an office in Hampton Roads and have any openings:lol:

Sorry. No such luck. But I'll let you know if that ever happens.

Neplusultra

imported post

power_shack wrote:
I would rather not post the name of the company. They seem like the type that would sue me, with or without cause! If someone really wants to know, contact me off-line.

Yes, I considered the Amex gift card, or any gift card for that matter, but they legally could not provide cash, or a cash equivilent, like a gift card. Some sort of federal tax issue that lets them expense the gift without having to pay payroll taxes on it.

On another note, I heard of a company up in Northern MI (a local hotel), that each year for Christmas the owner buys each employee a new gun!!! My current company is good, but not that good!!!
How can you be sued for stating a "fact"?