Thread: other weapons OC

Post imported post

Hey, Sorry if this is off-topic, but does anyone know the statutes on weapons other than firearms? Meaning, can someone walk around with a big sword or knife strapped on in full view of the public? I belong to several reenaactment groups, and one cannot really look like a trapper without a bowie knife, or a knight without a sword.

thanks again,

Scott

Post imported post

Other thanpossession ofswitch blade and "gravity" knives, I don't believe there is anything in the statutes regarding carrying knives. However many local municipalities have their own ordinances. I think Milwaukee, for instance, is one of MANY places that have restrictions on blade length. A lot of places prohibit double edged knives. Madison, where I live, doesn't have anything about length of blades on the books, but they prohibit possession ofa number of martial arts weapons. Obviously some stupid ordinances passed during the heyday of "kung fu" movies in the 70's. So I'm afraid you're faced with a patchwork of local laws that you need to research in order to comply with the local ordinances. I wouldn't think that if you're attending a reenactment you'd be charged, but you never know!
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

Shotgun is right on this one.. The state doesn't say anything about dangerous weapons, except that a minor cannot possess one. The rest is left up to local entities. I know my town prohibits dangerous weapons, specifically including Bowie knives, however they also allow for it during the course of a trade, craft, sport of profession. So basically, do what you want while reenacting, just remember to disarm before wandering about town on your break