• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

other weapons OC

husaria

imported post

Hey, Sorry if this is off-topic, but does anyone know the statutes on weapons other than firearms? Meaning, can someone walk around with a big sword or knife strapped on in full view of the public? I belong to several reenaactment groups, and one cannot really look like a trapper without a bowie knife, or a knight without a sword.

thanks again,

Scott

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Other thanpossession ofswitch blade and "gravity" knives, I don't believe there is anything in the statutes regarding carrying knives. However many local municipalities have their own ordinances. I think Milwaukee, for instance, is one of MANY places that have restrictions on blade length. A lot of places prohibit double edged knives. Madison, where I live, doesn't have anything about length of blades on the books, but they prohibit possession ofa number of martial arts weapons. Obviously some stupid ordinances passed during the heyday of "kung fu" movies in the 70's. So I'm afraid you're faced with a patchwork of local laws that you need to research in order to comply with the local ordinances. I wouldn't think that if you're attending a reenactment you'd be charged, but you never know!

Agent1187

imported post

Shotgun is right on this one.. The state doesn't say anything about dangerous weapons, except that a minor cannot possess one. The rest is left up to local entities. I know my town prohibits dangerous weapons, specifically including Bowie knives, however they also allow for it during the course of a trade, craft, sport of profession. So basically, do what you want while reenacting, just remember to disarm before wandering about town on your break ;)