• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it possible to transport a handgun though Canada

UpNYSteve

imported post

I will be traveling to Michigan at the end of the month and was wandering if any one knows howI couldtransport my firearm.

Thanks,

Steve

imperialism2024

imported post

My guess is that it would take less time to drive around Lake Erie than the amount of time it would take to get the proper clearances to drive through Canada with a handgun. And it's not like you can even make up the time in Ontario anymore, now that they've started confiscating cars for speeding more than 49km/hr over the speed limit.

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I did find this site.

http://www.amcits.com/weapons_into_canada.asp

I couldn't get the download links to work. Not sure if it's my computer or their site.

It looks like you have to get permission before entering and pay a fee to do actually bring it in. Nothing less than 4" for a handgun are even permitted. Rifles and shotguns seem easier. I agree that it might be easier to go around.

Ken

vmaxanarchist

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If it is a handgun it's in the restricted category. There isonly two ways to transport a restricted firearm through Canada. One is two get a Authorization To Transport ahead of time. They usually only give these out for competitions if Canada is your destination. It's possible to get one for a transportation through Canada back into the U.S.A. like going to Alaska but it takes a lot of time and patience dealing with the bureaucracy. The other way is to get a firearms license in Canada the same as a Canadian who wants to buy a handgun.

Shotguns and Rifles that Canada doesn't consider an AssaultWeapon are non-restricted. Also except a M1 Garand or an Enfielda riflemust not have magazines larger than 5 rounds. Non-restricted firearms can be declared at the border, a form filled out and a fee paid.

I got this information from this website. http://panda.com/canadaguns/#att

IMHO if you want totravel witha restricted firearm. Drive around lake Erie. Even if you do get a ATT you would need another one for your return trip and you can't take it out of the locked case and load it anyhow.

Another option is to ship it toa FFL at your destination.

Legba

imported post

As for Canada, you can call the RCMP Firearms Centre at 800-731-4000 for specific information.

-ljp