• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man Arrested for Turning Without Signaling

sjhipple

imported post

http://www.kvue.com/news/state/stories/050608kvueturnviolation-cb.d4cb840e.html

Man arrested for turning without signaling
icon_video.gif

[size=-1]
02:42 PM CDT on Tuesday, May 6, 2008
[/size]

[size=-1]By JONATHAN BETZ / WFAA-TV[/size]

MELISSA, Tx -- Mark Robinson was driving through downtown Melissa last week when he was pulled over for failing the use his turn signal.

But instead of getting a ticket, the officer took the 24-year-old to jail.

He was booked, strip searched, and sat for 3 hours with criminals. “People talking about using drugs and shooting heroine. They asked me what I was in there for and I said a turn signal violation,” said Robinson.

There aren't any warrants out for Robinson. In fact he says he's never been in jail. But he does admit to challenging the officer's questions during the stop.

“It’s just unacceptable to me to have my son thrown in jail for such a minor offense,” said Mark Robinson, the father.

His father thinks the officer assumed he had drugs because of his age, which he didn't.

“I think if they had stopped me in the same circumstances, I would have never gone to jail, or probably get a ticket,” said the father.

In fact News 8 contacted various cities in Collin County, many of which have not made a single arrest this year for not using a turning signal. Even the police chief in Melissa acknowledges he's never seen this happen in his own city. “In the 6 years I've been the police chief, this is the first time,” said Chief Duane Smith, Melissa PD.

But he stands behind his officer, saying state law gives him the power to arrest someone for many crimes, no matter how minor.

“I can't discuss the specifics of the case. The officer was in his right to arrest the person, which he did,” said Chief Smith.

Still, he tells News 8 this afternoon he will review department policy and may make changes.

For Mark Robinson, what he most wants is an apology, he says, for a trip he never should have been forced to make.

PT111

imported post

But he does admit to challenging the officer's questions during the stop.
Bad idea there. If you want to challenge it do later in court because you are not going to win while sitting beside the road.

As for the rest I don't know enough to make a judgement but there have been a few that I seen fail to signal that I would have loved to have hauled to jail and left there to rot.:cuss:

LEO 229

imported post

It appears that it was legal and proper for the officer to physically arrest the driver. I would love to see his justification.

Now it is very odd to actually arrest someone for a turn signal violation as this is not really worth the paperwork and time involved.

The reporter stated that the driver"didadmit challenging the officer's questions during the stop."

I strongly feel this is why he was arrested. He challenged the officer and the officer had to win the battle. The arrest is the ultimate jab. Was it right...? Not really. But it was allowed.

Choose your battles.... It is better to remain silent than to challenge an officer. You canare only going to talk yourself into more trouble. But if you are feeling daring and want some adventure..... ;)

I am sure the department will change their policy to limit physical arrests. This was a little embarrassing.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Would he have been better off not talking to the officer at all?:D
ETA: Nevermind I see you said that already.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Not enough info to know what happened.

We don't know if he was arrested for challenging a request to sign the ticket, or challenging the question, "If you're not doing anything wrong, you don't mind if I search the car?"

Typical news media.

Tomahawk

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
It is better to remain silent than to challenge an officer. You canare only going to talk yourself into more trouble.
QFT!

To answer Citizen's question: I think if there was a good reason to arrest him, such as not signing the ticket or what not, the PD would've made some sort of statement, or will soon, to put the bad press to rest.

LEO 229

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
It is better to remain silent than to challenge an officer. You canare only going to talk yourself into more trouble.
QFT!

To answer Citizen's question: I think if there was a good reason to arrest him, such as not signing the ticket or what not, the PD would've made some sort of statement, or will soon, to put the bad press to rest.
TH.. Please keep in mind that in this situation the guy is not talking to or answering questions... he is challenging the officer's question. ;)

I keyed in on the word "Challenged" as this is not really a good description. The police obviously do not like being challenged when they are doing their job. But then... I do not think anyone really wants to be challenged when they are trying to get something done. :)

But as Citizen stated... we do not know all that happened.

I am confident that he was not arrested for failing to sign the summons. This would be a clear reason and this type of arrest has most likely happened in the past.

Andyou and Citizen both have me confused with another cop that was on here that deleted his posts. There really is no need to QFT what I say as I could just delete my post AND yours. :cool:

Tomahawk

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
There really is no need to QFT what I say as I could just delete my post AND yours. :cool:

Well, it didn't take long for that, I see. YOu've been a mod for what? Less than 24 hrs?

Of course, I could be like HankT and keep a copy of useful posts on my own computer for future needling. ;)

Funny how months after he disappeared Hank is still an OCDOlegend...

LEO 229

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
There really is no need to QFT what I say as I could just delete my post AND yours. :cool:

Well, it didn't take long for that, I see. YOu've been a mod for what? Less than 24 hrs?

Of course, I could be like HankT and keep a copy of useful posts on my own computer for future needling. ;)

Funny how months after he disappeared Hank is still an OCDOlegend...
Actually... ;)

If you feel that you need to maintain copies so you can throw them in my face later to prove your point.. feel free. Not sure why but if you truly feel you need to have something on me.. go for it.

This type of activity anddoing QFTis something I find personallyoffensive whenithas not beenjustified to begin with. :?

I stand by what I say. I alsoreserve the right to change my mind as time goes byandhave had time to reflect. :cool:

sjhipple

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I keyed in on the word "Challenged" as this is not really a good description. The police obviously do not like being challenged when they are doing their job. But then... I do not think anyone really wants to be challenged when they are trying to get something done. :)

No one likes to be challenged, but most people won't respond by throwing someone in a cage if they are challenged. Most people.

Contempt of cop. Disobedience is the only crime in the New America.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Now you know I was joking, geez. HankT was my nemesis. But still, gotta admire someone that good at pushing buttons...

It just dawned on me what you meant.

Don't do it. Please don't. :p

LEO 229

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
No one likes to be challenged, but most people won't respond by throwing someone in a cage if they are challenged. Most people.

If citizens try to throw you in a cage it would be called abduction... :lol:

Well, just like you should not piss off the boss.... who can fire you.... it is just a good idea to tread lightly with those that do have something to hold over you. You do not want them to act on what they have available. :p

sjhipple

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
ama-gi wrote:

If citizens try to throw you in a cage it would be called abduction... :lol:

Well, just like you should not piss off the boss.... who can fire you.... it is just a good idea to tread lightly with those that do have something to hold over you. You do not want them to act on what they have available. :p

Yeah, I somewhat agree. My main point in posting this was that the police shouldn't have this power to -as you put it-"hold over" the heads of citizens. I'm glad that bill got defeated in Virginia.

And even if what you say is true, it still doesn't reflect well on the people "holding it over" the head of that poor man...unless there's more to this story.

LEO 229

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
Yeah, I somewhat agree. My main point in posting this was that the police shouldn't have this power to -as you put it-"hold over" the heads of citizens. I'm glad that bill got defeated in Virginia.

I agree.... it is ridiculous to take someone to jail over a minor traffic violation in this case.

If they are willing to sign the ticket.... let them be on their way.

LEO 229

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
His arrest was legal and proper? While it may be "legal," that's not my idea of "proper." If it's your idea of "proper," well, never mind.
Why do you always have to read into everything? :banghead:

By proper I am indicating he did nothing wrong legally or by his department procedures.

imported post

I guess "reading into everything" is what separates me from most Amerikans. Proper? Again, it very well may be "legal" and "within his department's policies," but if that's YOUR idea of proper, maybe I need to send you a red armband with a black swastika, consider it an early birthday present.

LEO 229

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
I guess "reading into everything" is what separates me from most Amerikans. Proper? Again, it very well may be "legal" and "within his department's policies," but if that's YOUR idea of proper, maybe I need to send you a red armband with a black swastika, consider it an early birthday present.
OK... for the last time..... :banghead:

By proper I am indicating he did nothing wrong legally or by his department procedures.

Maybe you missed this post that conveys my opinion on the matter.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=10778&forum_id=65&jump_to=172393#p172393