• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fire at Va. Beach shooting range! 7 people injured

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

94861.jpg

http://proactiveshooters.com/proactiveshooters/2008/05/11/virginia-beach-shooting-range-burns-7-people-injured/

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

pourshot wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Somebody shooting tracer rounds???
Almost sounds like a gas leak.
Or a dust (made up of unburned powder) explosion. I'll be interested in seeing the official finding and hoping everyone recovers fully.

N8

Campaign Veteran
imported post

pourshot wrote:
Having lost my part time gig at Shooters Paradise I know that fires suck. Does anyone know what kind of backstop they had?

The backstop is 40-45 degree metal that angles the bullet up towards the celing (not sure happends to the bullet after that)... Bay 1 is for the CCW class/small arms, bay 2 are for small arms and, bay 3 were the fire started are where they put rifle shooters. I shoot a rifle there and they always stick me in bay 3. Ive seen bullets shot fromrifleshit the stop and cause a spark. this would ignite any gas leak...

My buddy works here and hes not yet responded to my txt msg.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

N8 wrote:
The backstop is 40-45 degree metal that angles the bullet up towards the celing
:what:That can't be right.

That puts theleading edge of the backstop at ground level and thetrailing edge up in the air. That's 180* opposite of every backstop I've seen. Sort of like / instead of \ when viewing the backstop in profile from the right side of the backstop.

stay safe.

skidmark

vtme_grad98

imported post

He just described the backstop at every range where I have ever shot, including all three major ones here in Southside Hampton Roads. They all direct the bullet up, and then loop it back down behind the backstop into a giant pile of lead.

This is a nice example of why I stopped going to A&P though. In terms of physical layout, it's the best indoor range around here. But the most of the staff always seemed pretty complacent about gun safety and general housekeeping, and God help you if you try to correct them if they make a mistake. So I've made do with the 15 yard range at Superior.

bayboy42

imported post

N8 wrote:
pourshot wrote:
Having lost my part time gig at Shooters Paradise I know that fires suck. Does anyone know what kind of backstop they had?

The backstop is 40-45 degree metal that angles the bullet up towards the celing (not sure happends to the bullet after that)... Bay 1 is for the CCW class/small arms, bay 2 are for small arms and, bay 3 were the fire started are where they put rifle shooters. I shoot a rifle there and they always stick me in bay 3. Ive seen bullets shot fromrifleshit the stop and cause a spark. this would ignite any gas leak...

Maybe a diagram will help settle this dispute. I think its similar to this:

http://www.tauntonrifleandpistol.org/backstop%202.JPG

vbnative73

imported post

vtme_grad98 wrote:
He just described the backstop at every range where I have ever shot, including all three major ones here in Southside Hampton Roads. They all direct the bullet up, and then loop it back down behind the backstop into a giant pile of lead.

This is a nice example of why I stopped going to A&P though. In terms of physical layout, it's the best indoor range around here. But the most of the staff always seemed pretty complacent about gun safety and general housekeeping, and God help you if you try to correct them if they make a mistake. So I've made do with the 15 yard range at Superior.
All true:exclaim:, however, they are less expensive than Superior. I priced the Glock 36 at Superior. It was $589:X. I went to check the price at A&P before buying. Good thing. I got it at A&P for $539:D.

Neplusultra

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
N8 wrote:
pourshot wrote:

Maybe a diagram will help settle this dispute. I think its similar to this:

http://www.tauntonrifleandpistol.org/backstop%202.JPG

I prefer my backstops to be perfectly normal to my line of fire.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/0ABGIJwiGBc&hl=en[/flash]

Chkultr

imported post

I will not go to A&P for one reason....I was in the market for a new pistol. I waited my turn at the counter. When asked if I could be helped I asked to see the New Kimber Ultra CarryII in stainless... I was told by the man behind the counter( tall bald and name starts with a D) and I quote "NO you dont look like you can afford it so I am not wasting my time!" Needless to say I ended up buying from The Armory. That is the only place I will buy my firearms.

I know this is not a b*&^% session and rag on anybody! Just had to let yall know!

Bullbuster

imported post

I used to live a couple blocks from this range. Used to shoot there 2-3times a month. I stopped as I also didn't like that attitude I would get from time to time. Was told on a couple occasions while shooting my Redhawk .44 that it was a grown mans gun not a kids. I shot with my buddy allot who's big into cowboy action. He has a pair of .45 long colts and this younger guy with short and sorta spikyhair would always tell'm his colts where POS's.I also stopped asI remember many times it became hard to breath due to the power smoke in the air. I think there ventilation system sucks.

My wife called me here at work and told me about it. Said peoples hair caught fire. I can only assume it was from a flash explosion. And like someone said most likely a gas leak. Just hope everyone is ok with no lasting effects.

bayboy42

imported post

Chkultr wrote:
I will not go to A&P for one reason....I was in the market for a new pistol. I waited my turn at the counter. When asked if I could be helped I asked to see the New Kimber Ultra CarryII in stainless... I was told by the man behind the counter( tall bald and name starts with a D) and I quote "NO you dont look like you can afford it so I am not wasting my time!" Needless to say I ended up buying from The Armory. That is the only place I will buy my firearms.

I know this is not a b*&^% session and rag on anybody! Just had to let yall know!
UNBELIEVABLE that a salesman in this day and age would think/act like that. Please tell me after purchasing from the Armory you went back to A&P just to try out some holsters for your new gun:lol:

Quick story...a little OT....when I was younger, I used to help one of my buddies out at the big Maryland powerboat shows. Essentially, the shows got so busy that some dealerships would bring along extra folks who knew just enough about boats to keep a perspective customer's interest until a real "salesman" was free. One year, during a particular slow part of the day, a young man (14-16 yrs old) approached my buddy's in the water display and began looking at some of the larger powerboats. All of the salesman except my buddy chose to ignore this young man. I guess my buddy was so fresh out of school that he still remembered most of the "Golden Rules" of sales. To make a long story short, my buddy treated this young man like he would a customer who was 45+ and showed up in a limo. After drooling over one particular boat, the young man disappeared while all the other salesman began to rib my buddy for "wasting" his time with the young man. Less the one hour later, the young man showed back up.....sought my buddy out of the crowd....introduced him to his dad....who proceeded to stroke a check on the spot for $220k for the boat his son was drooling over. Yall get my point.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OK, probably paranoia here, but...

I'm beginnning to wonder how many gun ranges have "accidentally" caught fire. If I were a part of an organization (governmental (aye-tee-eff, OSHA, etc...) that wanted to show the firearms industry to be"unsafe", hurting the industry and striking a blow against gun owners, what better way?

Curiouser and curiouser...

Of course I could be completely wrong.