• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tap N Rack

FightingGlock19

imported post

he's not worried about the brass ...the cause of the type 2? That's my priority when clearing those kinds of malfunctions. Get the stoppage out of the way!

As far as the type 3 - lock the slide, rip the mag out, rack the slide a few times, grab another magazine and get back in there. Taking the malfunctioning magazine out andtrying to maintain control of it & the gun when you're trying to clear a malfunction while somebody's shooting at you seems like a waste, considering the loss of fine motor skills when in a gunfight. Then again, I have a Glock, so in the event of a double feed, all I have to do is hold the mag release, pull the mag down far enough for the slide to go back into battery & then drive that mag back home :)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
he's not worried about the brass ...the cause of the type 2? That's my priority when clearing those kinds of malfunctions. Get the stoppage out of the way!

As far as the type 3 - lock the slide, rip the mag out, rack the slide a few times, grab another magazine and get back in there. Taking the malfunctioning magazine out andtrying to maintain control of it & the gun when you're trying to clear a malfunction while somebody's shooting at you seems like a waste, considering the loss of fine motor skills when in a gunfight. Then again, I have a Glock, so in the event of a double feed, all I have to do is hold the mag release, pull the mag down far enough for the slide to go back into battery & then drive that mag back home :)
The way I was taught is also to not worry about the brass on a type 2. I was taught tap, roll the pistol to the right so the ejection port is facing mostly downward, then rack. Gravity takes care of any FTE brass.

I was taught type 3 the same way you were which is the primary reason I carry an extra mag.

Checking with snap caps: The XD45 works the same as the Glock in a double feed, not that I would want to trust that double feed was the problem in combat. I'm still going to follow my training and rip the mag out and rack. The Sig P228 not so much. If I didn't pull the mag I would have issues as the round out of the mag stripped far enough to drop into the magwell when I yanked the mag.

Good thread. Made me review my malfunction/failure drills and I learned something I didn't know thanks to checking out FightingGlock's comments in relation to my pistols.