• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Come attend Dickson City Council meeting Tuesday, 13 May, 7PM!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

NATO doctrine in effect - an attack on one Pennsylvania gun owner is an attack on all gun owners in the Commonwealth!

You have likely already read about the Dickson City police harassment and arrest of folks with kids eating at a restaurant, and gun confiscation, last Friday night at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/edit_post.php?id=171938.

And now its time for gun owners to act and attend the Dickson City Council meeting and support those speaking to the Council on this matter.

Tentative Timeline:

5:30-6 PM (OPTIONAL) - Meet up for dinner or beverage at the scene of Friday's police abuse - The Old Country Buffet at 500 Commerce Blvd., Dickson City, PA 18519.

6:30-6:45 PM - Meet up outside the Dickson City Borough Building, 801-805 Boulevard Avenue, Dickson City, PA 18519. See more at http://dicksoncityborough.org/index.jsp?tabId=47&id=47.

6:45 PM - Enter the council chambers and be seated/sign up to speak (optional).

Public comment period is right after the mayor's comments, and ussually only about 30 minutes into the meeting, said a Borough clerk to me this morning.

TBD - Depart chambers, meet up for short discussion outside, and perhaps to nearby restaurant for fellowship.

Admin Notes: We will know more about what rules for public comment are in effect Monday AM, so stay tuned. But if you feel like speaking, consider preparing only 2-3 talking points lasting at most 2 minutes - cool, calm, dispationate points only, please.

Gun Carry: I expect to attend the council meeting and will be openly carrying a handgun; I also will not be carrying any wallet or identification ("sterile carry") as none is required in Pennsylvania while openly carrying handguns on foot; further, my handgun was not transferred to me by a Pennsylvania gun dealer and so the gun is not listed in the State Police handgun transfer database. But that's just me - I have heard some other folks will be open carrying, but I'm not suggesting anybody carry a gun who does not normally do so or want to - or to carry openly if that's not your thing.

And bring your families! A lot of kids have never attended a public council meeting, let alone one where folks stand up to be counted and demand that elected officials get their police force under control.

Stay Tuned to this thread as the situation is fluid and fast changing!

imperialism2024

imported post

Count me in. I'm in the Allentown area, and I currently have three "XL-sized" seats available in my car (gotta love full-size sedans) if anyone wants to carpool up there, and I hope to be leaving the area around 4. All I ask for in return for carpooling is a 20-round box of cheap 7.62x39 that can be paid at any point in the future :cool:

Loneviking

imported post

Go get 'em guys! If I wasn't so far away, I'd be there too. This kind of nonsense by a few rogue officers and politicians needs to be stopped wherever it occurs. The gun carrying/owning community needs to come down on this issue like a brick wall.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Just a point of order here. If you're not a resident of Dickson City Borough, then the Borough Council doesn't have to listen to you at all (in other words, you lack standing, even if you are standing).

Doesn't mean they won't listen to you, just that they don't have to.

Tomahawk

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
Just a point of order here. If you're not a resident of Dickson City Borough, then the Borough Council doesn't have to listen to you at all (in other words, you lack standing, even if you are standing).

You don't have to speak. Just be counted. A roomfull of people makes an impression.

It'ssometimes goodnot to speak anyway unless you've coordinated with the other speakers. Everybody takes a couple of points, keep the speaking down to a short time, and then one after the other you all go up and deliver punch after punch at the microphone. It really works to make an impression on the board.

Phssthpok

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Statkowski wrote:

You don't have to speak. Just be counted. A roomfull of people makes an impression.

It'ssometimes goodnot to speak anyway unless you've coordinated with the other speakers. Everybody takes a couple of points, keep the speaking down to a short time, and then one after the other you all go up and deliver punch after punch at the microphone. It really works to make an impression on the board.

Dunno why, but your post just sparked a though in my mind:

Would it be deemed 'out of order' for everyone who showed up together to support statements of 'displeasure' regarding this specific incident to silently rise, and remain standing, while any person in the group is addressing the Council? You know...as a visual indicator of community support for the statements being made, kind of thing.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Pending finalizing details tomorrow, and maybe some help from press reports, I think this could turn out to be a truly great event - absolutely it would be great if a real life Dickson resident shows up and speaks pro-gun - but in small towns, that rarely happens just based upon probability.

Anyway, if we can just get some pro-gun people to show up backing comments of a few speakers, we win. The Virginia people know what i'm talkin' 'bout.:cool:

Phssthpok

imported post

Those of us scattered around the country will, of course, be hoping to see/hear some kind of documentation of the nights 'festivities'.;)

GlockJock

imported post

I need a rough estimate at how many will be attending. I have a contact at 16WNEP and I'll them and let them know that X number will be attending the meeting and why.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

With regard to the idea of standing up at the meeting to make a point, I think doing that once could be very effective, especially if news cameras are there (I assume they will be). When we descended en mass on the Norfolk City Council last year, there was a point when we all stood to make our presence and solidarity known. It certainly made some eyes go wide and made us feel stronger and less easily intimidated.

I suggest you only do this once rather than stand during an entire presentation. That could be overkill, and would seem a bit distracting.

The idea of trying to coordinate the issues is a good one too. It can be tedious if every speaker goes on a long harangue, with the same subject getting beaten like a dead horse.

Good luck! You really can win this one.:celebrate

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Folks - 2 announcements:

1. The Dickson Town clerk told me that the public can speak after the mayor's comments, which are usually nly 30 minutes into the meeting - so plan to attend the Dickson council meeting tomorrow at7 PM if you can - I gave them a friendly heads up that gunowners will be attending so if they see some folks carrying guns or pro-gun buttons, its about the bufeet incident and public comment.

2. I will be on the Bob Durgin show this afternoon at 3PM - WHP 580 in Harrisburg - I think you can listen online at http://www.whp580.com/pages/talkshow.html. And I will be announcing that I and gun owners are expected to rally at tomorrow nights Dickson city council meeting, so I sure you hope you guys are coming and bringly the cavalry with ya'!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Wait, so the Council meeting is at 5PM instead of 6:45PM? I'm confused now... :?
No, you are right - meeting at 7 PM - show up earlier to old country buffett for dinner/fellowship if you have time.

NWPA shooter

imported post

Mike,
I just listened to your interview on the Bob Durgin show via inernet.
Very good information. I saw the PA Patriot situation and am very proud to be part of the PA carry scene both CC and open.....thanks again to all of the work you are and have done for us.
Mike

Skuggi

imported post

not making it to this one, but I hope someone gets a post on how this goes tonight, i'll be a watching. Oh and yea, I'm back on the net :)

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I will be there, as I posted on the PAFOA forum, and I have room for one or two people in my car incase anyone wants to ride up there with me from Pittsburgh - Jsut shoot me a PM.

I should be leeving from my home in Beechview around 11am.