• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Come attend Dickson City Council meeting Tuesday, 13 May, 7PM!

imperialism2024

imported post

lildobe wrote:
I will be there, as I posted on the PAFOA forum, and I have room for one or two people in my car incase anyone wants to ride up there with me from Pittsburgh - Jsut shoot me a PM.
In my browser window, "a PM" showed up on the second line. I was thinking to myself, "Damn, lildobe must really not enjoy carpooling..."

rugbyman2000

imported post

Heard about this on the Bob Durgan show today. Great job raising awareness! I am always encouraged to hear 2nd ammendment folks stand up in full force when our rights are violated.

By chance, is anyone from the Lancaster or Central PA area planning to drive up there?

GlockJock

imported post

This issue is on the radio on WILK 103.1 here in Scranton. The DC chief and the guys from opencarry.org are on the air talking this out till 10am.

DocV

imported post

GlockJock wrote:
This issue is on the radio on WILK 103.1 here in Scranton. The DC chief and the guys from opencarry.org are on the air talking this out till 10am.

Is anyone aware of a way to get a transcript of this?

DocV

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Aarrrggghhh I turned to 103.1 about 30 minutes ago and some Corbett guy who is a totally typical liberal tool was attempting to suck nuggets of wisdom from some Brady Bunch officials butt. Why did you guys say it is on now when it is really some leftist douche? I literally felt brain cells starting to die their arguments and discussion were so stupid and devoid of intelligent, logical thought.

Aran

Banned
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Aarrrggghhh I turned to 103.1 about 30 minutes ago and some Corbett guy who is a totally typical liberal tool was attempting to suck nuggets of wisdom from some Brady Bunch officials butt. Why did you guys say it is on now when it is really some leftist douche? I literally felt brain cells starting to die their arguments and discussion were so stupid and devoid of intelligent, logical thought.
That's the show. The Brady guy was just one of many callers

Aran

Banned
imported post

deepdiver wrote:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Aran wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Well, then I missed it. I just couldn't listen to the guy anymore. I tried. I even read several of his "essays" on his page during commercials and I just couldn't take it anymore. Maybe somebody snagged a recording of it for us.

imperialism2024

imported post

Well, update on the city council meeting: no one got arrested, not even me with my scary holster.

Some business won the lowest bid for a road resurfacing project at $145,000 and change. The business that bid $173,000 kind of didn't get it.

A crazy lady was upset that the police didn't respond to death threats written on her door. Oh, and the local government apparently littered said crazy woman's house with radioactivity, and now they're covering it up. Yup.

An overstuffed room of people then argued for 90 minutes about open carry versus concealed carry. "The Organization" had good speakers, a few who had the honor of getting booed. I spoke for a minute or two about the issue of police harassment, and was subsequently denounced by the city council as a cop-basher. Followed by an ad hominem argument. Yay.

There was lots of media. Hopefully they caught some of the ridiculous things that the townfolk were saying. The Phrase of the Day was "community standards". There were some members of the townfolk who agreed with us, though, and who supported us.

At the end of the day, Dickson City decided that they don't like open carry, but there's nothing they can do about it, and police harassment and abuse is OK by them as long as the children feel safe... excepting the children of open carriers.

Hmm, time to go to sleep now...

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Well, update on the city council meeting: no one got arrested, not even me with my scary holster.

Some business won the lowest bid for a road resurfacing project at $145,000 and change. The business that bid $173,000 kind of didn't get it.

A crazy lady was upset that the police didn't respond to death threats written on her door. Oh, and the local government apparently littered said crazy woman's house with radioactivity, and now they're covering it up. Yup.

An overstuffed room of people then argued for 90 minutes about open carry versus concealed carry. "The Organization" had good speakers, a few who had the honor of getting booed. I spoke for a minute or two about the issue of police harassment, and was subsequently denounced by the city council as a cop-basher. Followed by an ad hominem argument. Yay.

There was lots of media. Hopefully they caught some of the ridiculous things that the townfolk were saying. The Phrase of the Day was "community standards". There were some members of the townfolk who agreed with us, though, and who supported us.

At the end of the day, Dickson City decided that they don't like open carry, but there's nothing they can do about it, and police harassment and abuse is OK by them as long as the children feel safe... excepting the children of open carriers.

Hmm, time to go to sleep now...
Thanks for the review.

Sounds like the townspeople in High Plains Drifter....

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

rugbyman2000 wrote:
any update on civil rights lawsuit? did banksgethis confiscatedgun back?

I'm curious about this, too - did he get his gun back, and if so, what was said when he did?

Has anyone communicated further with the Commonwealth Attorney's office?

Has anyone filed FOIA requests (I am guessing they have) to get all relevant information/reports held by the police?

Has anyone filed Internal Affairs complaints?

imperialism2024

imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
rugbyman2000 wrote:
any update on civil rights lawsuit? did banksgethis confiscatedgun back?

I'm curious about this, too - did he get his gun back, and if so, what was said when he did?

Has anyone communicated further with the Commonwealth Attorney's office?

Has anyone filed FOIA requests (I am guessing they have) to get all relevant information/reports held by the police?

Has anyone filed Internal Affairs complaints?
Rich did not yet get his gun back.

As far as I know, no suits or other actions or complaits have yet been filed, but "to my knowledge" doesn't really mean too much... Mike did request a copy of the original 911 call from Old Country Buffet as a good faith effort from the city council, though I suspect a formal request will be filed when they do not comply.

Now that I've slept it over, I'm incredibly more upset with the response at this meeting. Granted, like I said, there were a few townfolk who were supportive of us, and even if they didn't like what we did, ackowledged that it was our right to do it, or at the least realized that the police acted out of line. However, the vast majority of townfolk had no problem with the police misconduct, and essentially gave them a free pass on violating peoples' rights in order to ensure that no one felt "uneasy". We got booed whenever we mentioned "police misconduct" or anything of the like. One waste of oxygen went so far as to say that if people OCed into the retail store that she managed, she would call the police and expect them to detain the OCers and run the serial numbers on their guns.

:banghead:

If I were less of a human being, I would hope that if a natural or man-made disaster were ever to hit Dickson City, the police would crackdown on the residents in the manner of the New Orleans PD. Then, maybe, when the police are breaking down the doors of elderly people and ordering them at gunpoint to leave, maybe the residents of the town would realize that police misconduct is not right.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Bottom line update - we had about 30+ gun ownerssupporting our position that the police procedures in this case - i.e., that the procedures be fixed to conform to basic 4th Amendment law.

That was great considering this was orgnaized online in about 36 hours!!

Specifically, I asked the council to (1) provide oversight of the police in this matter to get things fixed and (2) post the 911 call(s) online as a good faith measure.

The council let EVERYONE in the rooms speak their peace, and a general debate ensued by about gun carry rights, "community standards" and it was quite interesting to hear all the perspectives.

In any event I think we made our point - as in past "open carry flare ups" where police over-reacted, things have certainly settled down as a lot of us were open carrying in city hall and the borough's lawyer noted that state law does not allow the bororgh to ban guns there - a positive step forrward!

Afterwwars about 8 of use retired to a nearby restaurant called "Charlie Brown's" - without any problem - and the manager gave us all free desert!

News coverage:

[url]http://pahomepage.com/content/fulltext/?cid=25398[/url]- video link embedded with me on the air yesterday.

SNIP

"Organizations such as opencarry.org say these law abiding citizens were pulled from their dinner, asked for their "papers" and that personal property was confiscated."
NOTE: on the video, the police chief is very confused - like almost states, there is no gun registration and so seizing gun owners to run ID checks and gun serial number checks made no practical, and even less legal sense - I got in a cite to Arizona v. Hicks.

See also:

[url]http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=8320639[/url]

[url]http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/site/index.cfm?newsid=19687220&BRD=2185&PAG=461&dept_id=590572&rfi=8[/url]w/video

[url]http://pahomepage.com/media_player.php?media_id=15731[/url]w/ 911 call played and ID refusal/arrest/gun seizure discussed