• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.22 Conversion for 1911

PavePusher

imported post

Due to rising ammo prices, desire to practice more, and introducenovices to the joys of pistolshooting/carrying, I am considering obtaining a .22 conversion for my Taurus PT1911. Does anyone have one for any 1911, how do you like it, pro's/con's, etc. Also looking for best place/vendor to buy.

Having done someresearch and pricing already, I know that I could probably find a decent .22 pistol for the price ofa conversion kit, but I want to keep my practice gun as similar as possible to my carry gun, thus the conversion.

Thanks in advance!

UpNYSteve

imported post

I've been think about one my self, but I cant get a straight answer on weather it would work on a 10mm 1911. The one guy I asked at the gun store told me he didn't know,and one guy at Gander Mnt. said it only works on 1911's when I asked if it would work on a Delta Elite he said 1911's and walkedaway.

Tomahawk

imported post

Stevtrains wrote:
...one guy at Gander Mnt. said it only works on 1911's when I asked if it would work on a Delta Elite he said 1911's and walkedaway.

Nothing like customer service, huh?

One of my issues with the gun business is that it seems to be the norm to run into rude people or know-it-alls. Part of this is probably because of the defensiveness against BATFE stings, but part of it is just ill manners.

mxwelch

imported post

Well, this is apples to oranges but I had a Ciener on my AC556 and it sucked!! The mags were waaaay to delicate to fire more than a mag or so without adjustment. Just make sure when you buy it you know what the return policy is.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

A friend of mine had a Ciener for his 1911 a few years back and was very pleased with it....
Have a look here http://www.midwayusa.com/ then call and talk to them if you have questions. I've found Midway to be a great company to deal with....

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

I've had a Wilson Combat .22LR Conversion Kit for my Kimber 1911 for a couple years now. The Wilson is actually made by Ceiner, and very well built. I have never had a FTF with the unit, over about 5K rounds that it's seen. I have had a couple of misfires, but, with rimfire ammo, that tends to happen no matter what you're feeding it into. Hope this helps.

Weak 9mm

imported post

I have no experience with 1911's or .22LR conversions for them, but I will offer up a recommendation from a website I trust and has never steered me in the wrong direction. They recommend a system made by Tactical Solutions of Boise, Idaho. It appears to be made of nothing but high quality parts. The groups at 25 yards were anywhere from a bit over 1" to 1.5" using the rest detailed in the article. It apparently functioned just fine on the cheap, plentiful Federal 550rd boxes of 36gr .22LR's found at Walmart, as well as quite a few other .22LR rounds detailed in the article:

http://www.gunblast.com/tacsol1911.htm

I came across this article and read it when I was looking for .22LR conversions for my Glock 17. I read it again just now, and it does seem like a very nice system. Man that video had me laughing so hard for some reason after hearing him fire it with the suppressor, it's so quiet it's silly.

I think it's a very good idea to snag a good conversion kit because .22LR's are so darn cheap! Plus I like the fact that I'd still be using my standard carry weapon to practice and it appears that you would be too.