• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A novel idea: Open Carry Public Service

sjhipple

imported post

I stumbled across this interesting story on google news while searching for news articles about an open carry dinner in my home state of Virginia (I eventually found this article about my query). Apparently, some people in New Hampshire got together to pick up trash while open carrying and the news covered it. It's from a couple weeks ago. I wonder how it turned out.

It seems this whole open carry thing is spreading all over the place.

LEO 229

imported post

I recall mentioning this in the past.

In many states you can adopt a highway and they put your name up. This would be a nice way for the OC group to get recognised and be placed in the good light.

http://www.virginiadot.org/programs/prog-aah-default.asp
AAH Volunteer Obligation
AAH volunteers agree to pick up litter four times a year for two years. In return, the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) provides trash bags, vests, important safety information, and highway signs that recognize your group. Learn more here.

AAH_volunteers.jpg

Thundar

imported post

Libertarians often do this already. Many libertarians do this while they OC. It is big in N.H.

Google free state project you can see a lot of interesting stuff, even police confiscation of a pitchfork openly carried as a weapon.

sjhipple

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Google free state project you can see a lot of interesting stuff, even police confiscation of a pitchfork openly carried as a weapon.

This I gotta see :cool:

--

EDIT

At your suggestion, Thundar, I searched on Youtube for "free state project open carry" and got quite a few videos. I think I even found a video aboutthe one this news story is about...same date and there's a reporter in the video. One of the locals on the video says he's "intimidated" by it, but then he and two of the OCers seem to have a pleasant conversation so it looks like they're doing good work in New Hampshire.

ScottyT

imported post

I think this or any other community service is such a great idea for private citizens AND our various OC groups. After reading about it here, we will be discussing possibilities at our OC dinner this Wednesday!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have attempted to get this group to commit to such an activity, with very very limited response.

doobie

imported post

We're currently awaiting a time and place where we feel it is right and appropriate to do a litter pick-up in NH while carrying AR-15s, AK47s, etc. We've discussed it once but we don't feel ready to do that yet, but we wouldn't turn someone away who showed up carrying one to our events.

nh92d

imported post

doobie wrote:
We're currently awaiting a time and place where we feel it is right and appropriate to do a litter pick-up in NH while carrying AR-15s, AK47s, etc. We've discussed it once but we don't feel ready to do that yet, but we wouldn't turn someone away who showed up carrying one to our events.

i better start saving up for one..;)

RidleyReport

imported post

Tess wrote:
I have attempted to get this group to commit to such an activity, with very very limited response.
There's no need to have large response. Our second and sixth oc pickups had turnout of just 3. And that was plenty to get started. the others had higher turnout, but it's not necessary. .

also the first time i tried to do it no one showed up. But I kept at it.

one thing is if you are not in new hampshire it is often harder to get good turnout at a liberty event...there are so many of us here packed into such a small state.

BTW the media coverage was positive and public reaction on the newspaper's web comment section was over 2-1 positive.

Rey

imported post

I'm gonna get one set up here in Reston.

2 miles of busy Leesburg Pike/Route 7. Not sure what to do about media attention. I'll set up a thread and ask for volunteers and dates and what not, and I'll go pick up all the bags and signs and vests.

sjhipple

imported post

RidleyReport wrote:
Tess wrote:
There's no need to have large response. Our second and sixth oc pickups had turnout of just 3. And that was plenty to get started. the others had higher turnout, but it's not necessary. .

also the first time i tried to do it no one showed up. But I kept at it.

one thing is if you are not in new hampshire it is often harder to get good turnout at a liberty event...there are so many of us here packed into such a small state.

BTW the media coverage was positive and public reaction on the newspaper's web comment section was over 2-1 positive.

Wow, I like your most recent video that you posted: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=10915&forum_id=37&jump_to=174597#p174597

ScottyT

imported post

Thanks to this and other recent posts, we here in Utah have initiated an Adopt-a-Highway program! We discussed it at our meet this week and got a very positive response, just waiting to hear back from the Utah DOT people now...

A big thanks for our brothers (and sisters) in arms for the motivation!