Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder holster?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

For myself, I'm considering open carry with a shoulder holster, as it seems the most out of the way of moving parts, and I definitely prefer cross-draw. Anyone have any comments, experiences or reasons why not?

Post imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
    For myself, I'm considering open carry with a shoulder holster, as it seems the most out of the way of moving parts, and I definitely prefer cross-draw. Anyone have any comments, experiences or reasons why not?

I just got a shoulder holster. Gould & Goodrich, seems to new, for only $45. I love it I carry it everyday. You will get more attention when you carry a shoulder rig vs. just on your hip.

I usually carry my S&W 4006 .40 in the rig and a Kimber in Serpa holster on the hip, both at the same time. This way I am OCing 360 degrees and there won't be ANY confusion that I am OCing.

I like the shoulder rig due the fact when I am out driving it would be easier to reach for the firearm if need + if pulled over the officer would be able to see it too.

TJ

Post imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
    Several years ago I bought a shoulder holster for my 1911.

I really liked how it worked, especially when I do a lot of driving.

For Christmas I got one for my .357 snubby. It is great too.

I miss those guns

Tarzan

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    Rogue9er wrote:

I just got a shoulder holster. Gould & Goodrich, seems to new, for only $45. I love it I carry it everyday. You will get more attention when you carry a shoulder rig vs. just on your hip.

I usually carry my S&W 4006 .40 in the rig and a Kimber in Serpa holster on the hip, both at the same time. This way I am OCing 360 degrees and there won't be ANY confusion that I am OCing.

I like the shoulder rig due the fact when I am out driving it would be easier to reach for the firearm if need + if pulled over the officer would be able to see it too.

TJ
    Damn, 2 at once? I like the idea, but that does begin to cross into the deranged-looking-zone. I don't mind attention, but that's seriously heavy gear.

Nice looking shoulder, tarz. I don't know what shape I would get mine in. My first pistol will probably be a Beretta 92F.

Post imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    Rogue9er wrote:

TJ
    Damn, 2 at once? I like the idea, but that does begin to cross into the deranged-looking-zone. I don't mind attention, but that's seriously heavy gear.

Nice looking shoulder, tarz. I don't know what shape I would get mine in. My first pistol will probably be a Beretta 92F.
    "deranged-looking-zone" ???

NAAH, "Paranoid". Isn't that what the Anti's call me/us ? Oh, I'm sorry. "Paranoid" with one gun. I don't know what they call it when I have two guns.

I always wanted to say what Doc Holliday said in Tombstone-" I have one for both of ya" when talked to the feller just as the town sheriff had been gunned down by colonel bill when he was told that he was to drunk:celebrate.

Can never carry too much ammo nor to many guns.

TJ

Post imported post

BTW get the tie-downs RIGHT AWAY. That will save you some headache. If you don't you will feel what I mean.

TJ

Post imported post

I've got a Galco for my XD's. It's a great rig. Definitly get the tie down or it flops all over the place.

DeSantis make a nice leather rig too.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    BTW get the tie-downs RIGHT AWAY. That will save you some headache. If you don't you will feel what I mean.

TJ
    Tie-downs?

Also, are there actually issues with shoulder holsters being easier for someone to pick your gun from?

Post imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    BTW get the tie-downs RIGHT AWAY. That will save you some headache.* If you don't you will feel what I mean.

TJ
    Tie-downs?

Also, are there actually issues with shoulder holsters being easier for someone to pick your gun from?
    The "tie downs" are straps with snaps that secure the holster and mag/speedloader carrier to your belt.

I don't use them as I find them to confining.

As far as a shoulder rig having issues with them being easy for someone to take your gun...In a word...no.

To take your gun from a shoulder rig, the person would have to be facing you, but with a hip holster they could come up behind you.

I think it would be much easier to take your gun from behind, than while facing you.

Tarzan

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    Rogue9er wrote:

TJ

Together with 2 really upstanding Officers from UVU College and "Superdell", who is running for Governor in Utah. This picture is taken at the GOP Convention at the UVU in Orem, Utah

SGJensen, Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff and I at the GOP Convention in Salt Lake City, Utah

Me, Senator Waddoups, SGTJensen and Blacksmith at the Salt Lake GOP Convention

SGTJensen,Mitch Vilos (our attorney), myself and Clark Aposhian (Chairman of the Review Board at BCI)

Post imported post

Rogue9er wrote:

For years I carried my Colt Peacekeeper with a 6" barrel in a Bianchi x15 rig. Just recently I tried an Uncle Mikes sidekick shoulder holster, also a vertical holster, and bought it. The Uncle Mikes, and other rigs that have a tie down on the side opposite of the gun, are much more comfortable and secure. You can also use that tie down to mount spare mags or speedloaders. With the tie downs, the shoulder rigs are the most comfortable carry rigs going IMHO. The Uncle Mikes rig is almost infinitely adjustable---even the retention strap is adjustable for a tight fit. The snap buttons are the type where you have to put the snap on the button, twist and push to lock it on which adds security.

As for retention, the only way that someone is going to get the gun is to come at you from the front. They can't rip the holster off of you with the tie downs. The gun butt faces forward so there's no way someone can get ahold of the gun from the rear. The gun is tucked in close to your body and from the side, someone has to go through your arm to get the gun. It's as secure a carry as you're going to find.

I will say that one thing that you will also want is a good gunbelt. Don't buy cheap, go and get a Galco or a Wilderness nylon belt as these heavy belts provide a good foundation to anchor the ties too.

I would strongly discourage carrying revolvers in a horizontal holster as if the revolver is accidentallycocked, there is no additional safety (unlike a semi-auto) and the gun will be pointing up. I also dislike the horizontal holsters as anytime you're behind someone with these, their gun barrel is pointing at you!!

Post imported post

Everybody looks so happy!

Post imported post

Utoc 44 wrote:

"deranged-looking-zone" ???

NAAH, "Paranoid". Isn't that what the Anti's call me/us ? Oh, I'm sorry. "Paranoid" with one gun. I don't know what they call it when I have two guns.

I always wanted to say what Doc Holliday said in Tombstone-" I have one for both of ya" when talked to the feller just as the town sheriff had been gunned down by colonel bill when he was told that he was to drunk:celebrate.

Can never carry too much ammo nor to many guns.

TJ
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two guns? Paranoid psychopathic madman!??

Post imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
    Yea, except for that dog. Looks like he's about to eat that guys thumbs.

Post imported post

Loneviking wrote:
    .....I would strongly discourage carrying revolvers in a horizontal holster as if the revolver is accidentallycocked, there is no additional safety (unlike a semi-auto) and the gun will be pointing up. I also dislike the horizontal holsters as anytime you're behind someone with these, their gun barrel is pointing at you!!
    I don't know about your holster, but mine has a thumb break that will not snap if the revolver is cocked, and will not allow the revolver to be cocked while in the holster.

The cant on the holster requires the thumb break to be closed to hold the holster.

Tarzan

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    Rogue9er wrote:

TJ
    SNIP

Very nice pics TJ...portraying the type of acceptance that should be nationwide.

Post imported post

Tarzan, great looking rig and the Bianchi products are well designed as well as safe. Other rigs, I don't have so much confidence in. I still hate looking at someones' back and seeing a gun barrel looking back at me! :shock:

Post imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
    Naah, I don't believe you. Don't you see how terrified everybody is. :what:......:celebrate.

I bet those guns will just jump out the holsters by themselves and cause havoc....Wait.........soon.....damn it, theyjust won't jump out by themselves. I guess guns aren't as dangerous as people hope them to be.

Those were great days at those conventions. And a lot of people enjoyed our company. We were congratulated for OCing and people told us that they felt safer.

That is the VERY PURPOSE that we want people to understand and feel.

TJ

Post imported post

Loneviking wrote:
    Tarzan, great looking rig and the Bianchi products are well designed as well as safe. Other rigs, I don't have so much confidence in. I still hate looking at someones' back and seeing a gun barrel looking back at me! :shock:
    I know vwhat you mean. It is even worse, whe I wear my full sized 1911 in its vertical shoulder holster. Of course I don't have to see it when I wear it.

Tarzan

Post imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
    Loneviking wrote:
    I know vwhat you mean. It is even worse, whe I wear my full sized 1911 in its vertical shoulder holster. Of course I don't have to see it when I wear it.

Tarzan
    Tarzan, I like you. "Of course I don't have to see it when I wear it. "

That's funny

You got some nice fire power and holsters for them

TJ

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Loneviking wrote:
    Rogue9er wrote:

For years I carried my Colt Peacekeeper with a 6" barrel in a Bianchi x15 rig. Just recently I tried an Uncle Mikes sidekick shoulder holster, also a vertical holster, and bought it. The Uncle Mikes, and other rigs that have a tie down on the side opposite of the gun, are much more comfortable and secure. You can also use that tie down to mount spare mags or speedloaders. With the tie downs, the shoulder rigs are the most comfortable carry rigs going IMHO. The Uncle Mikes rig is almost infinitely adjustable---even the retention strap is adjustable for a tight fit. The snap buttons are the type where you have to put the snap on the button, twist and push to lock it on which adds security.

As for retention, the only way that someone is going to get the gun is to come at you from the front. They can't rip the holster off of you with the tie downs. The gun butt faces forward so there's no way someone can get ahold of the gun from the rear. The gun is tucked in close to your body and from the side, someone has to go through your arm to get the gun. It's as secure a carry as you're going to find.

I will say that one thing that you will also want is a good gunbelt. Don't buy cheap, go and get a Galco or a Wilderness nylon belt as these heavy belts provide a good foundation to anchor the ties too.

I would strongly discourage carrying revolvers in a horizontal holster as if the revolver is accidentallycocked, there is no additional safety (unlike a semi-auto) and the gun will be pointing up. I also dislike the horizontal holsters as anytime you're behind someone with these, their gun barrel is pointing at you!!
    Good advice, thanks. I'll be carrying with a shoulder in fall/winter for sure. I'm not sure whether under a loose and open jacket is OC or CC, but I'll have the CCW so it doesn't matter, I guess. I might in the summer, but that might look a little out of place on a skinny guy in a band shirt and cargo shorts.

Post imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
    Loneviking wrote:
    Rogue9er wrote:

Good advice, thanks. I'll be carrying with a shoulder in fall/winter for sure. I'm not sure whether under a loose and open jacket is OC or CC, but I'll have the CCW so it doesn't matter, I guess. I might in the summer, but that might look a little out of place on a skinny guy in a band shirt and cargo shorts.
    I carry shoulder holster in shirt/T-shirt/etc and shorts.

TJ

Post imported post

Thanks UTOC, but when it comes to fire power...you need to look no farther than the mirror.

Tarzan

Franklin Township, DeKalb County, Indiana, USA

Post imported post

I've got 3 of Uncle Mike's el cheapo vertical shoulder holsters and I like them. I wear Smith & Wesson revolvers. I usually open carry with an Uncle Mike's paddle holster rigged for crossdraw, but open carry with the shoulder rigs as well. It works for me.

Post imported post

<3 Blackhawk's shoulder harness for their Serpa. Their mag/light holsters snap off belt clips and fit right onto the shoulder harness as well.
    -Unrequited

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast