• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I think I was almost robbed the other night

Stealth Potato

imported post

So, a couple nights ago, I was walking back home from a friend's place, going down 45th Street from the U District at approximately 2AM. I was carrying concealed at the time.

As I approached the intersection with Roosevelt, I noticed a couple of guys on the opposite (south) side of the street near a gas station, who then proceeded through the crosswalk in my direction. I was stopped, waiting for the light to cross Roosevelt, and as they approached I could see that it was two young white males, one wearing a hooded sweatshirt.

The one in the sweatshirt promptly approached me and asked me if I knew if there were any tire repair shops nearby. Alright, a couple of guys got a flat in the middle of the night; nothing especially suspicious about that... I told him I didn't know of any offhand. But then, and this is what immediately set off the alarm bells, his friend didn't stop in front of me and instead maneuvered promptly behind me. Not exactly normal behavior for a couple of guys asking for directions at night...

At this point I was trying to move gradually out of the space between them while keeping my gun hand free. The first one then pulls out some cash and says that they're a few dollars short for some "Fix-a-Flat." I was just replying that I didn't have any cash on me (which was true, incidentally), when the guy behind me coughs. Right then they both "disengage," mutter thanks very rapidly, and beat a hasty retreat north on Roosevelt, away from the gas station.

I was kinda wondering why they left so quickly, but literally two seconds later, an SPD cruiser rolls past going west on 45th.

So, that whole encounter left me wondering - on the one hand, the words and demeanor of the first guy did not seem to suggest anything suspicious (he didn't sound nervous or overtly shifty), but certain specific behaviors told otherwise:

1. The immediate encircling maneuver by the second guy
2. The first guy flashing a fistfull of cash to a stranger at 2:00AM
3. The second guy coughing, followed immediately by a hasty retreat at the approach of an SPD cruiser (The first guy's back was to 45th Street; perhaps the cough was a signal?)

So, what do you guys think? A couple of guys having car trouble, or a clumsily aborted robbery attempt? Hopefully I would have been able to extricate myself from the situation had things gone south, with or without the aid of my 1911, but in retrospect I'm irritated with myself for being too calm and slow to react when I first noticed the guy circling around me. Surrounded is always a bad way to start any engagement, and I probably should have moved more right away. Ah well, chalk it up as a lesson learned, fortunately not the hard way. :?

j2l3

imported post

I think it was a close call. Way to many bad things happening lately in that area around that time of day.

Glad you got out of it in good shape.

FogRider

imported post

Sounds an awfully lot like a close call. The fact that they didn't sound suspicious tells me that they are good at what they do. But the second guy standing behind you rings all sorts of alarm bells for me. Nobody does that. If someone wants something from you (even if it his buddy asking), he stands in front of you and talks to your face. At most he might move to your side. But a shady looking guy standing at your back is never a good thing.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sounds likely enough that they were up to no good. You should provide police the images from your button cam. :)
launch.png

ScottyT

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Carry a knife and some Pepper spray as a less-than lethal alternative to your pistol.

A knife is a lethal weapon, and unless you are trained in how to use it (effectively) I wouldn't carry one for self defense. If you are justified in stabbing someone, you are justified in shooting them.

2 guys confronting you in the middle of the night = legitimate threat of serious bodily harm or death.

Maintain distance, never get surrounded. Glad you got out of it ok.

tarzan1888

imported post

Count your blessings, name them one by one.....

I think you had a very close call.

It reminds me of something that happened to my wife not long ago.

We pulled into the parking lot of a local food store. The lot was fairly full so my wife, who was driving, parked some distance from the store.

I wasn't feeling well and so I stayed in the car, while my wife ran in to get a few things.

We were in an SUV and the windows are dark and being about 9 PM I am sure I was not visable in the car.

My wife came out of the store with a bag of groceries and approched our car.

The drivers side was on the far side from the store and as she opened the door behind the drivers seat, a young man approched her and stating he was out of gas, asked for some gas money.

With the door open, I heard him approch her, and before she could respond I said, "Is everything OK honey?

Upon hearing my voice, the young man, whom, I am sure did not know I was there, immediately turned and ran.

Its good for him he did, because my hand was on my gun, just as yours was.

Tarzan.

Stealth Potato

imported post

Yeah, point well taken, Bravo_Sierra. I definitely should have moved away quickly and kept them in front of me as soon as they approached. I guess the important lesson here is that being aware of the people around is not sufficient if you don't react to them appropriately. :?

For the other suggestion, I do carry a knife, but it's only a 2.5" folding blade, and definitely not intended for self-defense. I don't have any experience or training in knife fighting, and anything with a fixed blade or a blade longer than 3.5" would be illegal in Seattle anyway.

I definitely appreciate the input, guys.

grishnav

imported post

Stealth Potato wrote:
Yep; Seattle Municipal Code 12A.14.080 makes it illegal to carry "any dangerous knife," which is defined as any knife with a fixed blade or a blade longer than 3.5 inches.

Pointless and stupid, yes, but such as it is.
Must. Be. Kidding.

I have a 6" hunting knife that I keep in my trunk as a survival tool... No, not in the self-defense sense, but in the guy stuck alone in the forest who needs to cut stuff to make a shelter sense. It's in my Search and Rescue pack, which I usually don't take out of my car when I travel to Seattle (because, hey, it never hurts to have nonperishable food and water, blankets, clothing, and medical supplies nearby).

I also have a hatchet in there. Would that be considered a dangerous knife?

I guess it's not immediately "on my person" ... but damn. WTF Seattle?

What kind of an offense is this, anyway? Misdemeanor? Gross Misdemeanor? *gulp* Felony?

Just goes to show you... Say nothing, don't consent to searches, call you're lawyer. Holy crap.

blankley

imported post

I don't know... Sounds like tweakers doing a variation on the old 'money for gas' short con. Sure would be a brazen spot for a strong arm robbery. Wonder if their addled-minds realize how close they got to getting plugged? Might give them pause the next time...

just_a_car

imported post

Jeez, Trip. I think you got lucky there. That sure sounds like a close call to me.

Heck, I get uncomfortable when people I know get behind me and I can't see them, much less some shady thugs on the street. Best advice I can give you is don't ever, EVER, let someone get behind you if you can help it.

retrodad

imported post

I am intimately familiar with that area from my college days. I know that there is virtually no immovable object near that interesection that you could sally up to in order to close off access to your back side or anything of that nature. A tough situation to defend yourself in to be sure.

Situational awareness is everything. I always do what Bravo_Sierra said:

...you cross the street quickly. Jay-walking or not you get the **** across the street as quickly as possible without running.
Were you carrying openly? And they still approached you? Bold goblins.

PolskiG

imported post

I always carry a highpoweredSurefireflashlight withone of my sidearms at night. 80lumens of bright LEDlightis usually sufficent to stun an attackers night-visionfor a bit, I'm hoping, whilemy gun is always last resort.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Jamfish wrote:
I am intimately familiar with that area from my college days. I know that there is virtually no immovable object near that interesection that you could sally up to in order to close off access to your back side or anything of that nature. A tough situation to defend yourself in to be sure.

Situational awareness is everything. I always do what Bravo_Sierra said:

...you cross the street quickly. Jay-walking or not you get the **** across the street as quickly as possible without running.
Were you carrying openly? And they still approached you? Bold goblins.
Read the second sentence of the original post.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Stealth Potato wrote:
Yeah, point well taken, Bravo_Sierra. I definitely should have moved away quickly and kept them in front of me as soon as they approached. I guess the important lesson here is that being aware of the people around is not sufficient if you don't react to them appropriately. :?

For the other suggestion, I do carry a knife, but it's only a 2.5" folding blade, and definitely not intended for self-defense. I don't have any experience or training in knife fighting, and anything with a fixed blade or a blade longer than 3.5" would be illegal in Seattle anyway.

I definitely appreciate the input, guys.

Do you know how much you can ruin someone with a box cutter?

or try this: http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=2921

1481_large.jpeg

That will open up someone real proper like..

I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to be a hard ass to watch my internet peen' grow by posting swear words and making people feel bad. Though I don't know any of you personally, in a way we are still part of a family of warriors. We are hardened and ready to protect ourselfs and or loved ones against the scumbags and wolves of the world.

We are not sheep, but sheep dogs.

Carry your gun!