• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I think I was almost robbed the other night

Misguided Child

imported post

That was definitely a robbery attempt. I have been robbed once and had one other attempt. I stopped the attempt by moving quickly to a better lighted area in the middle of the street. Anybody who follows you into the street isn't legit. I told them very loudly to "Stop right there, that's close enough" They took one more step and my hand went into my back pocket under my coat (since I wasn't carrying, but they couldn't see that). They had a lame story about needing gas money but they didn't come closer. I backed away from them and about 40' away I called the cops on my cell. Glad you walked away!

fatalhubris

imported post

Yea sounds like you had a close one.

Carrying knives is a touchy subject; laws involving the act are worded very ambiguously. So it never hurts to know the laws on everything you happen to be carrying. Carrying a small fix blade knife isn’t a bad idea providing you know what your about. Training, laws, etc. all the important things in life…. OC spray isn’t a bad choice either. There are those who will deride it, but its just another tool like an asp, or a flashlight. They are all useful depending on the circumstance.

These are handy to they go about 69$ or so
midstraight.jpg

midtigerclaw.jpg

Can you say human velociraptor?

krazichinaman

imported post

Man that is some scary stuff to hear. Especially since I live right on 45th. Glad nothing happened. Maybe you should have reported it anyways? I don't know but I'm glad you are ok.

Stealth Potato

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
It sure sounds like a close call, glad you kept your wits. Were you carrying openly? If not, why not?
It was kinda cool that night, so I was wearing a jacket.

fatalhubris: That knife would definitely be illegal in Seattle. Not only is it fixed-blade, it's black and scary looking! It must be an assault knife. :lol:

just_a_car

imported post

Stealth Potato wrote:
fatalhubris: That knife would definitely be illegal in Seattle. Not only is it fixed-blade, it's black and scary looking! It must be an assault knife. :lol:
ROFL!!!

SP, if you want to get together sometime this week for coffee or lunch, let me know. I really like being able to get together with other UW student-members and discussing current events and OC'ing.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Stealth Potato wrote:
It was kinda cool that night, so I was wearing a jacket.

LOL. Seattle always cracked me up. I walk around with a .357 visible to all, no problems. Strap a hunting knife on and I could be arrested. Gotta love state preemption!

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

At 2Am tell me what repair shop will be open at that time.
The one guy moves to your back, and the other guy is in front of you makes a perfect 360 view of the perimeter. Also that makes it ideal for a sucker punch, choke, grab, stabbing, or a shot in the back. When they showed the money it can be for diverting your attention, it could make you feel more comfortable with the two strangers that you meet at 2AM, to get you to lower your guard.

If the hood was on his head, He tried to mask his identity. So common for a thug to dawn a hoodie before he strikes. Also the cough was a signal that a cop or someone was there to see what they were about to do. that's why they left so quickly when he saw the SPD. So common of a signal, it is natural, and somewhat uncommon of a noise. Man You, or those thugs got so lucky that night. It could have been so very ugly. God had mercy on someone that night, if the SPD did not drive by we might be reading a different story today. WOW!!

Note: I myself am cautious but I don’t want to offend anyone by my actions lets say doing what Bravo_Sierra said. But after reading this I am not going to care how other people feel, if they get offended or not. I have to protect myself, and my family. So that’s not a unreasonable action to take at 2am in the morning. Or if I feel uncomfortable because of circumstances.

fatalhubris

imported post

Ya know if I had a quarter for every time someone’s asked me for a knife, or if I could open something for them. then heard OH MY THAT IS A (SCARRY EVIL LOOKING MEAN NASTY) knife. I could probably buy everyone in this discussion there dream gun, or a reasonable equivalent. heh silly sheap...

just FYI

Quote from Seattle municipal code

“The following definitions apply in this chapter:

A. "Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife

having a blade more than three and one-half inches (3 1/2") in length.”

Quote from Hideaway Knives FAQ

“Edge length varies some based on size, who grinds them, etc. I want to keep the straights under 2" in length. The blade length of some of the curvys and hybrids are almost all b>over 2" though because of the curves, so if that poses a legal boundary keep that in mind”.

So phitttitttt :pI do my homework

http://hideawayknife.com//faq.php

amlevin

imported post

Sorry, but at 2AM, anywhere in the U-District, nobody is going to be standing behind me while his 'bud is in front of me. Even if you had attempted to draw your weapon, at this point they had all the advantages.

ravensmiles13

imported post

Its called a bump and run. The guy moving in behind you is typically the aggressor or muscleas the guys talking is usually the calm one and able to get your defences down just slight enough for his partner to blindside you or pull a weapon of their own to intimidate you. This is almost never done without the victim being severely beaten and left wondering what happened. This was one of many ways tourist in Miami and Orlando were robbed in the 90's. Most of the time the BG got away and is never caught. You did good to realize a bad situation. Glad your o.k. next time if its two in the morning and you walking home don't stop for a conversation just let them know you'll be more than happy to call the police to help them out if they truly are a stranded motorist. Then call the cops anyways and bug out.

compmanio365

imported post

I would have put my hand on the grip of my gun and ordered the guy in front of me as soon as he tried to go behind me, and moved elsewhere real fast......there is NO reason the guy had to go behind you at all.......if they turned out to be legit, once the guy moved out in front of me, I'd explain my actions, but I wouldn't wait to get whacked on the back of the head to realize these were "bad peoples"......of course, this is my armchair quarterbacking at work....;) We don't know for sure what we'd do in a situation until we are there.....but I'd like to hope I would react in a way that would insure my safety, even if it made someone think I was paranoid......at 2 AM, being approached by 2 guys and surrounded......I don't think they were up to any good, no matter how they would have tried to explain it....

I walk to work from the train at 6:30 AM down in the International District, and I am pretty much in "yellow" while walking alone, always looking in dark corners and down the alleyways, etc, going to "orange" as soon as I see someone, cause I've dealt with several crazies in that area (methadone clinic is right across the street from my building...), and had one try to attack me while walking to work in the morning. Now that it's getting light out earlier, it's not so bad, but I'm still cautious.

Glad to hear that nothing happened, but I'd think about your level of awareness while out on the street, especially at 2 AM......:)

ravensmiles13

imported post

compmanio365

I walk to work from the train at 6:30 AM down in the International District, and I am pretty much in "yellow" while walking alone, always looking in dark corners and down the alleyways, etc, going to "orange" as soon as I see someone, cause I've dealt with several crazies in that area (methadone clinic is right across the street from my building...), and had one try to attack me while walking to work in the morning. Now that it's getting light out earlier, it's not so bad, but I'm still cautious.

Glad to hear that nothing happened, but I'd think about your level of awareness while out on the street, especially at 2 AM......:)

ME: Ive seen you at 6:30 am and if I were you Id think about your level of awareness at 6:30 am
:what:

TechnoWeenie

imported post

ravensmiles13 wrote:
ME: Ive seen you at 6:30 am and if I were you Id think about your level of awareness at 6:30 am

Must be the wifey posting here... :lol:

compmanio365

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
ravensmiles13 wrote:

Must be the wifey posting here... :lol:

LOL..........not really....... :lol:

He thinks he's smart.......but he's the one on crutches.....:cool:

:arrow:ravensmiles13 - Sounds like you aren't paying attention bud.....not like it'll matter....what are you gonna do if someone does try to rob your ass? Beat em with a crutch? :lol:

Stealth Potato

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
krazichinaman wrote:
Maybe you should have reported it anyways?
Seconded. Any reason you didn't flag down the passing officer and tell him about it?
Well, by the time the thought occurred to me, the cruiser was already well down the road. At the time, I mainly just wanted to get home, though in retrospect I agree - I should have called and reported it anyway.

compmanio365 wrote:
Oh, I definitely make a point of being aware of my surroundings. I'm always in the habit of scanning and taking note of the people around me, especially at night, and as I said, I had been watching these guys ever since I first saw them on the other side of the street. My problem was not reacting immediately when I perceived that they were doing something alarming and unusual. I guess there was still that part of me that wanted to be polite, and that didn't want to think the worst, even with the evidence in plain sight. Certainly a mistake I won't make again.