Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stories of Open Carry in the Milwaukee Area

Post imported post

Post imported post

Pointman, very generous of you to invite other posters to your thread. I was thinking of starting one, but would just as soon add to yours. After spending about two years searching the various forums on the web, I have come to the conclusion that if any progress is to be made in Wisconsin regarding open carry, those that want it bad enough are going to have to go after it in an aggressive manner. I have the utmost respect for those of you that OC but I think we also need to educate the politicians (mostly local) and the local law enforcement officials about the statutes and law as it stands at this time. I posted in the Kenosha thread about going to the local police station in my town in NE Wi and inquiring about any ordinances against open carry and the duty officer didn"t know anything about what I was talking about. He said he would get back to me, which he never did. I have carried in northern Wi for over 35 years, had one situation with a warden which I will get into later. In my opinion we don't need more legislation, just clarification on what we have now. Your thoughts?

Post imported post

Post imported post

Nice pointman you make me feel optimistic about my future OC endeavor....I'm gonna buy an el' cheapo pistol because I am on a budget and don't want something expensive getting confiscated if I do happen to become unlawfully detained by LEO's.

Post imported post

This is Saukville, about 20 miles from Milwaukee:

I often carry my USP .45 openly when I am doing yard work, or just relaxing outside. Saturday, May 3rd, my parents and I were mulching and trench-digging in my yard, when my new next-door neighbor (just moved from Michigan) came over to talk. His young daughters and dog came over by and by, and after a while, he asked me "Hey, what's with the gun, anyways? Are you a cop or something?" I said, "No, I'm just pretty big on right-to-carry, and WI has a blanket prohibition on carrying of a concealed weapon, which forces me to carry openly." He replied "Oh, ok. I've always thought that more people carrying could help save lives." I then told him if he had any other questions about it, I'd be glad to answer what I could, and we went back to talking about yard work...

I've spoken with him several times while armed since then, and he doesn't even give my hip a second look. The dog doesn't seem to mind much, either, and his daughters are usually too busy trying to climbdad to notice.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Yesterday I met one of my neighbors that I had neglected to meet when I moved in last fall. He brought over a piece of my mail that was put in his mailbox by mistake.

After introducing himself and explaining why he came over, he says:

D: "So, I heard you've been open carrying around your yard"

B: "Yes, indeed" I said proudly.

D: "The other neighbor told me. I said 'Good for him, open carry is great'. I told the neighbor 'you're going to be seeing more of it soon' "

We talked for about 10 minutes, and I came to find out he is a big OC supporter, knows about and supports the county resolution, and also carries alot around his house. And he is only 1 house down aross the road. Wow!

So I again strapped on my holster and carried my pistol around my house with a smile while watering my newly planted bushes.

Post imported post

Excellent! I often OC around the yard also, but so far no neighbors have mentioned it.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

Post imported post

+1 for educating people (a wise investment of your time)

+1 for "are you able to own legally in the state, etc? -- if not, I can only show you from a distance, etc."

I'm not 100% warm and fuzzy with taking it out of the holster to show, etc.

1- what if the person lied and you just handed your weapon over to a convicted felon? under cover BATFE / LEO? a stretch, I know, but....

2- what IF someone else calls the police and reports it as a "brandishing", MWAG, etc.

I'm conservative in this regard -- the only time it comes out:

- put it away

- use at the range

- if instructed by LEO

- if needed

What I would do in this situation is invite the person to go with you to your favorite gun shop / next gun show. Not everyone in a gun shop / show is an expert marksman, etc. - some are 'probably' just 'regular' folks with inquisitive minds who are looking for an education, etc.

my $0.03

Post imported post

Post imported post

Pointman, maybe you've explained it elsewhere, but when you tell people you are "certified" to carry a gun, you are referring exactly to what?
    A. Gold

Post imported post

Post imported post

I'd say it's slightly misleading to state one hasany "certification" since the only "certification" one needs here is that one be legally able to possess a firearm.Such a statement mayimply to others, who may not be familiar with gun laws in Wisconsin, that there IS a certification requirement of some sort. I certainly do not fault anyone for having takenclasses, training orpractice. In fact I recommend all of those things! But I would not use the term "certification" to characterize those things. I might simply state to those who are wary of guns, "If it makes you feel better, I have had formal training, etc...." Just my 2 cents!
    A. Gold

Post imported post

I also like the idea of re-framing the argument by simply saying, "while training is not required in order to carry a firearm in Wisconsin, I have voluntarily undergone the training required to carry in XX of the 50 states. I believe deeply that people must be very responsible when carrying firearms.... etc."

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Pointman:
    Although German's training and "certification" program may have some personal benefits, this is Wisconsin. Legally his "certification" and two bucks will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. You should not make comments that suggest you are certified and so have special carry advantages.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Yes.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...5AC0A96F958260

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******

Post imported post

Doug, that was one of the funniest stories in a long time..... Now THAT explains alot of things....
    A. Gold

Banned

Post imported post

Disparaging comments on IQ in general are common but not from those that suffer exceptional IQs, high and low. I happily disparage the muddled middle.

Look back to the comments on my posts of 'The Mathematical Impossibility of Compromise' by a brilliant and accomplished gentleman and armed citizen. It is attacked by the intellectual mongrels here even though the author is an Alpha male far removed from the pack.

Democracy is the rule of fools by fools.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

In the real world a true democratic society can never survive. A true democracy is based on equality and rule by majority, but in every society there are alpha people and there are omega people. The alpha people will always rule, regardless the numbers.

Banned

Post imported post

Interesting characterization, "the Omega People."

I'm with a wedding party in Weatherford, Texas seeing to the Father of the Bride and helping with the driving (1300 miles from W I). A guest of the bride's family is a Ty IV OI little person - and a CWP holder from SC! It's a small world even for her, exceptional and impressively-abled. An Alpha Person beyond her stature.

I hope that SC will welcome Beth from Chester on her return.

Los Angeles - San Fernando Valley, California, USA

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote: That sure put smile on my face. I can't figure out whether to crack a joke about smart people, dumb people, or cops!

The implications are profound. I think I'll go ask MENSA what they think....

Banned

Post imported post

MENSA who? A past/your past LocSec, I think, is Al Schwartz at http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/ and author of 'The Mathematical Impossibility of Compromise' that has been posted here and armed citizen - if only with his wits.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Look back to the comments on my posts of 'The Mathematical Impossibility of Compromise' by a brilliant and accomplished gentleman and armed citizen. It is attacked by the intellectual mongrels here even though the author is an Alpha male far removed from the pack.
    No, it was attacked because it WAS an intellectual muddle, with nothing mathematical about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast