• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stories of Open Carry in the Milwaukee Area

borrowed time

imported post

Pointman, very generous of you to invite other posters to your thread. I was thinking of starting one, but would just as soon add to yours. After spending about two years searching the various forums on the web, I have come to the conclusion that if any progress is to be made in Wisconsin regarding open carry, those that want it bad enough are going to have to go after it in an aggressive manner. I have the utmost respect for those of you that OC but I think we also need to educate the politicians (mostly local) and the local law enforcement officials about the statutes and law as it stands at this time. I posted in the Kenosha thread about going to the local police station in my town in NE Wi and inquiring about any ordinances against open carry and the duty officer didn"t know anything about what I was talking about. He said he would get back to me, which he never did. I have carried in northern Wi for over 35 years, had one situation with a warden which I will get into later. In my opinion we don't need more legislation, just clarification on what we have now. Your thoughts?

Nytedrgn

imported post

Nice pointman you make me feel optimistic about my future OC endeavor....I'm gonna buy an el' cheapo pistol because I am on a budget and don't want something expensive getting confiscated if I do happen to become unlawfully detained by LEO's.

Rick Finsta

imported post

This is Saukville, about 20 miles from Milwaukee:

I often carry my USP .45 openly when I am doing yard work, or just relaxing outside. Saturday, May 3rd, my parents and I were mulching and trench-digging in my yard, when my new next-door neighbor (just moved from Michigan) came over to talk. His young daughters and dog came over by and by, and after a while, he asked me "Hey, what's with the gun, anyways? Are you a cop or something?" I said, "No, I'm just pretty big on right-to-carry, and WI has a blanket prohibition on carrying of a concealed weapon, which forces me to carry openly." He replied "Oh, ok. I've always thought that more people carrying could help save lives." I then told him if he had any other questions about it, I'd be glad to answer what I could, and we went back to talking about yard work...

I've spoken with him several times while armed since then, and he doesn't even give my hip a second look. The dog doesn't seem to mind much, either, and his daughters are usually too busy trying to climbdad to notice.

smithman

imported post

Yesterday I met one of my neighbors that I had neglected to meet when I moved in last fall. He brought over a piece of my mail that was put in his mailbox by mistake.

After introducing himself and explaining why he came over, he says:

D: "So, I heard you've been open carrying around your yard"

B: "Yes, indeed" I said proudly.

D: "The other neighbor told me. I said 'Good for him, open carry is great'. I told the neighbor 'you're going to be seeing more of it soon' "

We talked for about 10 minutes, and I came to find out he is a big OC supporter, knows about and supports the county resolution, and also carries alot around his house. And he is only 1 house down aross the road. Wow!

So I again strapped on my holster and carried my pistol around my house with a smile while watering my newly planted bushes.

Carolina40

imported post

+1 for educating people (a wise investment of your time)

+1 for "are you able to own legally in the state, etc? -- if not, I can only show you from a distance, etc."

I'm not 100% warm and fuzzy with taking it out of the holster to show, etc.

1- what if the person lied and you just handed your weapon over to a convicted felon? under cover BATFE / LEO? a stretch, I know, but....

2- what IF someone else calls the police and reports it as a "brandishing", MWAG, etc.

I'm conservative in this regard -- the only time it comes out:

- put it away

- use at the range

- if instructed by LEO

- if needed

What I would do in this situation is invite the person to go with you to your favorite gun shop / next gun show. Not everyone in a gun shop / show is an expert marksman, etc. - some are 'probably' just 'regular' folks with inquisitive minds who are looking for an education, etc.

my $0.03

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Pointman, maybe you've explained it elsewhere, but when you tell people you are "certified" to carry a gun, you are referring exactly to what?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I'd say it's slightly misleading to state one hasany "certification" since the only "certification" one needs here is that one be legally able to possess a firearm.Such a statement mayimply to others, who may not be familiar with gun laws in Wisconsin, that there IS a certification requirement of some sort. I certainly do not fault anyone for having takenclasses, training orpractice. In fact I recommend all of those things! But I would not use the term "certification" to characterize those things. I might simply state to those who are wary of guns, "If it makes you feel better, I have had formal training, etc...." Just my 2 cents!

Rick Finsta

imported post

I also like the idea of re-framing the argument by simply saying, "while training is not required in order to carry a firearm in Wisconsin, I have voluntarily undergone the training required to carry in XX of the 50 states. I believe deeply that people must be very responsible when carrying firearms.... etc."

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pointman:
Although German's training and "certification" program may have some personal benefits, this is Wisconsin. Legally his "certification" and two bucks will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. You should not make comments that suggest you are certified and so have special carry advantages.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Disparaging comments on IQ in general are common but not from those that suffer exceptional IQs, high and low. I happily disparage the muddled middle.

Look back to the comments on my posts of 'The Mathematical Impossibility of Compromise' by a brilliant and accomplished gentleman and armed citizen. It is attacked by the intellectual mongrels here even though the author is an Alpha male far removed from the pack.

Democracy is the rule of fools by fools.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In the real world a true democratic society can never survive. A true democracy is based on equality and rule by majority, but in every society there are alpha people and there are omega people. The alpha people will always rule, regardless the numbers.